In Atlanta: K&S, Kilpatrick, and Alston & Bird

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In Atlanta: K&S, Kilpatrick, and Alston & Bird

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 pm

For anyone familiar with the Atlanta market, I was wondering if you could share the general perception of these firms, specifically in their Atlanta offices?

Is K&S the biggest sweatshop of the three? Are they all sweatshops?

Anonymous User

Re: In Atlanta: K&S, Kilpatrick, and Alston & Bird

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:25 pm

I met a lot of Kilpatrick Townsend attorneys and SAs at a social event a year or two back and they were all very friendly, with the exception of one SA who came off a tad cold and entitled (but I may have just caught him/her at a bad time.) Midlevel associates and partners I met were easy going and had great senses of humor. I have 0 knowledge of what it is like to work there, but I have a high opinion of the people I met and encourage anyone to check that office out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone familiar with the Atlanta market, I was wondering if you could share the general perception of these firms, specifically in their Atlanta offices?

Is K&S the biggest sweatshop of the three? Are they all sweatshops?

Alston & Bird is not a sweatshop by New York standards. That doesn't mean the associates don't work hard. It just means that the number of all nighters are substantially less. The firm values employees' work/life balance as much as it possibly can, and associates say it's possible to take time off without interruption. I think its reputation is that it's much less of a sweatshop in Atlanta than K&S. Whether that's actually true, I cannot say.

One thing that is true is that a number of women have left K&S to go to Alston because Alston is widely thought to be much more female-friendly. I don't know if that's relevant for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:57 pm

What about Jones Day and Paul Hastings?

Not OP but didn't want to create a new thread on Atlanta.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:54 am

A friend of mine summered at Jones Day and said the people she encountered there were uptight and self-absorbed. It is thought to be the polar opposite of Alston, so where Alston has the reputation of being friendly, lifestyle-esque, and transparent, Jones Day is not. It does pay above market though, so it is attractive for a lot of people in that regard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:03 am

I think the whole K&S is a sweatshop and A+B is a great place to work is likely overblown. From what I have seen, there is not a substantial difference- maybe a somewhat of one, but not enough to make the choice between the firms.

From what I have heard, hours in Atlanta trend someone in order of prestige: Bondurant > K&S > A+B > Kilpatrick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:18 am

think the whole K&S is a sweatshop and A+B is a great place to work is likely overblown. From what I have seen, there is not a substantial difference- maybe a somewhat of one, but not enough to make the choice between the firms.

From what I have heard, hours in Atlanta trend someone in order of prestige: Bondurant > K&S > A+B > Kilpatrick.

I think you're right re. the hours associates log at K&S and A&B. But I have also heard from former K&S attorneys that while the hours don't differ markedly between the firms, the vibe amongst the attorneys at K&S vs. Alston does. They said Alston is much friendlier and relaxed, which is why they feel it is a better place to work. According to them, Alston is probably not as much of a lifestyle firm as it once was (comments on Vault speak to this), but the attorneys I've spoken to do feel that the level of collegiality within the firm is higher at Alston.

Bottom line, though, you're right that both are great firms at which associates will have great learning experiences.

I'm not sure I agree with your prestige rankings... I've never heard an Atlanta attorney place Bondurant above either K&S or Alston. Bondurant has a bit of an allure amongst law students interested in Atlanta because it takes so few summer associates and is great for litigation, but depending on who I've spoken to, it's always either Alston or K&S ranked # 1 (or sometimes tied) > other firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm not sure I agree with your prestige rankings... I've never heard an Atlanta attorney place Bondurant above either K&S or Alston.

:shock:

Worked in Atlanta this summer, and never heard an attorney place either of those firms above Bondurant. In fact, generally K & S came in a distinct third.

anon because ATL is a small legal market and don't want to out myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with your prestige rankings... I've never heard an Atlanta attorney place Bondurant above either K&S or Alston.

Worked in Atlanta this summer, and never heard an attorney place either of those firms above Bondurant. In fact, generally K & S came in a distinct third.

Anyone who puts K&S in third is nuts. Pretty widely acknowledged that K&S is a better shop than A+B. Lifestyle? Maybe A+B has an edge. But prestige? K&S takes that hands down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
think the whole K&S is a sweatshop and A+B is a great place to work is likely overblown. From what I have seen, there is not a substantial difference- maybe a somewhat of one, but not enough to make the choice between the firms.

I think you're right re. the hours associates log at K&S and A&B. But I have also heard from former K&S attorneys that while the hours don't differ markedly between the firms, the vibe amongst the attorneys at K&S vs. Alston does. They said Alston is much friendlier and relaxed, which is why they feel it is a better place to work. According to them, Alston is probably not as much of a lifestyle firm as it once was (comments on Vault speak to this), but the attorneys I've spoken to do feel that the level of collegiality within the firm is higher at Alston.

Bottom line, though, you're right that both are great firms at which associates will have great learning experiences.

I'm not sure I agree with your prestige rankings... I've never heard an Atlanta attorney place Bondurant above either K&S or Alston. Bondurant has a bit of an allure amongst law students interested in Atlanta because it takes so few summer associates and is great for litigation, but depending on who I've spoken to, it's always either Alston or K&S ranked # 1 (or sometimes tied) > other firms.
Your advice is all wrong. The hours are almost identical between the two major firms. There is some practice group variation, but on the whole there is no appreciable difference. The "family friendly" A+B is a vestige of its reputation long ago. It no longer holds true, especially for young associates. And if you think, at least for litigation, the "prestige ranking" (whatever that means) goes A+B > K&S > Bondurant, you're crazy. Obviously if you want something other than litigation, Bondurant is not even in the picture, but the general reputation among lawyers is that Bondurant is the best litigation practice in Georgia. Just look at the attorney bios...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

That's so funny, because I was in ATL this summer as well, so we heard two different things at approximately the same time. I guess the take away is it really depends on who you talk to.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's so funny, because I was in ATL this summer as well, so we heard two different things at approximately the same time. I guess the take away is it really depends on who you talk to.

FWIW the BME lawyers I've talked to say they are the most preftigious.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:30 pm

i'm from atlanta and i've never heard of bondurant, so i conclude it has limited preftige

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:32 pm

fatduck wrote:i'm from atlanta and i've never heard of bondurant, so i conclude it has limited preftige

your profile image is mega preftigious

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Your advice is all wrong. The hours are almost identical between the two major firms. There is some practice group variation, but on the whole there is no appreciable difference. The "family friendly" A+B is a vestige of its reputation long ago. It no longer holds true, especially for young associates. And if you think, at least for litigation, the "prestige ranking" (whatever that means) goes A+B > K&S > Bondurant, you're crazy. Obviously if you want something other than litigation, Bondurant is not even in the picture, but the general reputation among lawyers is that Bondurant is the best litigation practice in Georgia. Just look at the attorney bios...

I believe you just confirmed most of what I said. First, I said the hours are probably the same between the two. Second, I said that Alston's lifestyle reputation probably doesn't hold true anymore. So really, the only point you have made that is different is that Bondurant ranks better than Alston and K&S. Don't see how that makes my advice "all wrong." OP didn't even indicate a preference for litigation (nor did he/she ask about Bondurant). So until we know whether OP wants litigation or not, Bondurant probably shouldn't even be factored into the prestige rankings. However, even if we were to include Bondurant in the prestige rankings, if OP isn't sure whether he/she wants litigation, then I would say Alston and/or K&S are much better, just because there is room to make a choice between lit and transactional.

Return to “Legal Employment”