Cadwalader nyc Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cadwalader nyc

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from them yet post-cb?
Nothing, and it has been a week. I am going to email tomorrow to inform them of a ticking offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:26 pm

After your cb did they say to expect a response within a week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After your cb did they say to expect a response within a week?
No. There was no "they" to talk to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After your cb did they say to expect a response within a week?
No recruiter? By mine there were recruiters everywhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No recruiter? By mine there were recruiters everywhere.
Yea in those cute blue polos lol. But not once the interview started.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Ye I guess. Good luck to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:55 am

Would I be crazy if I choose to join CWT over all other offers, especially much higher vault ranked firms in the same market?
They really loved me and so did I. But most of TLSers here seem to regard CWT as a suboptimal place or something...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Would I be crazy if I choose to join CWT over all other offers, especially much higher vault ranked firms in the same market?
They really loved me and so did I. But most of TLSers here seem to regard CWT as a suboptimal place or something...
As long as you both love you, I guess it's okay.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would I be crazy if I choose to join CWT over all other offers, especially much higher vault ranked firms in the same market?
No, you wouldn't be crazy. This board can be a great source of information, but it also has a tendency to grab some teeny-tiny fact and reiterate it through endless loops of know-nothings until that tiny fact has morphed into something that is treated as gospel, yet lacks any real attachment to reality.

CWT is suboptimal, in the sense that it is not perfect. There are plenty of valid criticisms of the firm, and for some people those criticisms might steer them towards another firm where they would be happier. But, the same can be said of every biglaw shop. If you've had a chance to sniff around the firm a bit, and you think it's where you will be the happiest, then go with it, and don't for a second be deterred by Vault. The Vault rankings are completely and utterly meaningless beyond the top ten, and they are mostly meaningless within it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:43 pm

I had my CB on a Thu and received an offer the following Tue-- pretty fast turnaround for me. So far it's my only offer, although I still have 5 CBs coming up and I'm hoping to end up with some choices. I actually really liked the NY office on my interview. I asked some tough questions about QOL and how many people stay vs. go within the first few years. Everyone I met seemed really friendly and had concrete things to say about what they liked about the firm. +1 to posters who note that CWT's reputation has been blown up on TLS. I think that one terrible partner can balloon into a reputation for the whole firm. I wouldn't say that I'm over the moon and would 100% choose CWT over other offers if I get them, however I had a really positive CB experience and would be quite happy to work there.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Relevant to my interests. Also considering C-NYC over higher V-ranked firms based on 'fit' issues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 pm

It said a lot that, when I went to interview last year on a CB, someone told me the best part of working at Cadwalader is the resume line it will give you when you leave in a few years. He said that you put in your time, and then can go off to better things, since the firm has a good name that sets you up well. But that seemed to be subtly conveying a bunch of negatives.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:27 pm

I summered at CWT NY, so take this for what it is. I worked at a different firm (V50) my 1L summer and worked at a V10 firm before that. That being said, I loved my time at CWT. The entire summer class was a great group of people, and the associates all seemed happy. Maybe the firm kept the bad associates from the summers (or maybe the bad associates naturally stayed away), but I didn't meet a single associate that just hated being there.

The partners were all nice, social, and generally great to work for. Maybe it sounds like I sip the kool-aid, but of all the firms I've worked for, CWT seemed the most collegial.

My biggest gripe, if it is one, is the cafeteria. Compared to some of the other firms I've had lunch at, the cafeteria is subpar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I summered at CWT NY, so take this for what it is. I worked at a different firm (V50) my 1L summer and worked at a V10 firm before that. That being said, I loved my time at CWT. The entire summer class was a great group of people, and the associates all seemed happy. Maybe the firm kept the bad associates from the summers (or maybe the bad associates naturally stayed away), but I didn't meet a single associate that just hated being there.

The partners were all nice, social, and generally great to work for. Maybe it sounds like I sip the kool-aid, but of all the firms I've worked for, CWT seemed the most collegial.

My biggest gripe, if it is one, is the cafeteria. Compared to some of the other firms I've had lunch at, the cafeteria is subpar.

Do you mind telling a little bit about why you liked CWT over that V10 firm? (i.e. if you had choice, would V10's prestigeousness have drawn you to that firm despite what you like about CWT right now?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Anyone here interview with CWT last tuesday?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Have there already been offers for last week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here interview with CWT last tuesday?
Anonymous User wrote:Have there already been offers for last week?
Interviewed last Monday - there were a few of us there. Haven't heard anything yet. Anyone who interviewed last week hear yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here interview with CWT last tuesday?
Anonymous User wrote:Have there already been offers for last week?
Interviewed last Monday - there were a few of us there. Haven't heard anything yet. Anyone who interviewed last week hear yet?
Haven't heard anything. Interviewed last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Anyone heard yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Still no movement on last week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Interviewed last weds. and no word yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Last tuesday. No word.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:49 am

updates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:36 am

Bump. Anything for those interviewing the week before the Labor Day weekend?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I summered at CWT NY, so take this for what it is. I worked at a different firm (V50) my 1L summer and worked at a V10 firm before that. That being said, I loved my time at CWT. The entire summer class was a great group of people, and the associates all seemed happy. Maybe the firm kept the bad associates from the summers (or maybe the bad associates naturally stayed away), but I didn't meet a single associate that just hated being there.

Do you mind telling a little bit about why you liked CWT over that V10 firm? (i.e. if you had choice, would V10's prestigeousness have drawn you to that firm despite what you like about CWT right now?)
Anon here: I felt like the V10 was too stuffy and filled with people too full of themselves. At CWT, everyone was more down to earth. I made friends with a few associates over the summer and I'm still friends with them now. Of course, your mileage may vary -- if you really just hit it off with the V10, then go for it. Trust your guts. I personally could not care less about prestige. At the end of the day, prestige doesn't pay the bills, and CWT is probably "good enough" in terms of prestige to get me where I want to go.

I can shed some light on the hiring practice there now: they are getting a lot more selective. They're interviewing the same number of people (or more), but offering a lot fewer candidates. They are really trying to up the quality of their class and fill it with not only smart, but friendly/sociable/nice people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”