Davis Polk Offers 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Offer VM this morning from interview last Wednesday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Wondering what you guys think of this:

I had my CB Thursday last week and got a call the next day from Recruiting. The voicemail told me to call back, so I did but I was not able to reach anyone. It turns out the recruiter had left the office for the holidays. Forward to this Tuesday and I get a call from the recruiter. She had some questions for me regarding my status as an international student. When she was done, she promptly said that they'll get back to me before I had a chance to ask her when to expect to hear back. What should I think (if I should think about this at all)?

I mean, the fact that they would bother asking about my application shows they hadn't trashed my application. But the fact that they are not actually getting back to me with an offer seems like they're not interested.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering what you guys think of this:

I had my CB Thursday last week and got a call the next day from Recruiting. The voicemail told me to call back, so I did but I was not able to reach anyone. It turns out the recruiter had left the office for the holidays. Forward to this Tuesday and I get a call from the recruiter. She had some questions for me regarding my status as an international student. When she was done, she promptly said that they'll get back to me before I had a chance to ask her when to expect to hear back. What should I think (if I should think about this at all)?

I mean, the fact that they would bother asking about my application shows they hadn't trashed my application. But the fact that they are not actually getting back to me with an offer seems like they're not interested.

Thoughts?

Lol, I had them call me as well after my callback for the same reason (which was about two weeks ago). Since then it has been radio silence.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wondering what you guys think of this:

I had my CB Thursday last week and got a call the next day from Recruiting. The voicemail told me to call back, so I did but I was not able to reach anyone. It turns out the recruiter had left the office for the holidays. Forward to this Tuesday and I get a call from the recruiter. She had some questions for me regarding my status as an international student. When she was done, she promptly said that they'll get back to me before I had a chance to ask her when to expect to hear back. What should I think (if I should think about this at all)?

I mean, the fact that they would bother asking about my application shows they hadn't trashed my application. But the fact that they are not actually getting back to me with an offer seems like they're not interested.

Thoughts?

Lol, I had them call me as well after my callback for the same reason (which was about two weeks ago). Since then it has been radio silence.


Dude, that just sucks. First they tease us with "oh, we might be expressing slight interest," then they torture us with silence. Stop messing with my mind!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wondering what you guys think of this:

I had my CB Thursday last week and got a call the next day from Recruiting. The voicemail told me to call back, so I did but I was not able to reach anyone. It turns out the recruiter had left the office for the holidays. Forward to this Tuesday and I get a call from the recruiter. She had some questions for me regarding my status as an international student. When she was done, she promptly said that they'll get back to me before I had a chance to ask her when to expect to hear back. What should I think (if I should think about this at all)?

I mean, the fact that they would bother asking about my application shows they hadn't trashed my application. But the fact that they are not actually getting back to me with an offer seems like they're not interested.

Thoughts?

Lol, I had them call me as well after my callback for the same reason (which was about two weeks ago). Since then it has been radio silence.


Dude, that just sucks. First they tease us with "oh, we might be expressing slight interest," then they torture us with silence. Stop messing with my mind!

The worst is the silence that has followed. I have had multiple friends get offers and dings, but not me, I just get a question about my work status. HA

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wondering what you guys think of this:

I had my CB Thursday last week and got a call the next day from Recruiting. The voicemail told me to call back, so I did but I was not able to reach anyone. It turns out the recruiter had left the office for the holidays. Forward to this Tuesday and I get a call from the recruiter. She had some questions for me regarding my status as an international student. When she was done, she promptly said that they'll get back to me before I had a chance to ask her when to expect to hear back. What should I think (if I should think about this at all)?

I mean, the fact that they would bother asking about my application shows they hadn't trashed my application. But the fact that they are not actually getting back to me with an offer seems like they're not interested.

Thoughts?

Lol, I had them call me as well after my callback for the same reason (which was about two weeks ago). Since then it has been radio silence.


Dude, that just sucks. First they tease us with "oh, we might be expressing slight interest," then they torture us with silence. Stop messing with my mind!

The worst is the silence that has followed. I have had multiple friends get offers and dings, but not me, I just get a question about my work status. HA


Two followups:

1) When you say you've got friends that have gotten dings and offers, do you mean dings and offers from DPW?
2) Are you also interviewing for the NYC location? I am, but I am out-of-state.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Two followups:

1) When you say you've got friends that have gotten dings and offers, do you mean dings and offers from DPW?
2) Are you also interviewing for the NYC location? I am, but I am out-of-state.

1) I know people who have gotten offers from DPW, and I know people who have gotten dings from DPW (they come via snail mail).
2) I am interviewing at the NYC office.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Two followups:

1) When you say you've got friends that have gotten dings and offers, do you mean dings and offers from DPW?
2) Are you also interviewing for the NYC location? I am, but I am out-of-state.

1) I know people who have gotten offers from DPW, and I know people who have gotten dings from DPW (they come via snail mail).
2) I am interviewing at the NYC office.


Well, good luck fellow non-American!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:15 am

i called recruiting and they said they would finalize ALL outstanding decisions within one week... seems like they're almost done for the season

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i called recruiting and they said they would finalize ALL outstanding decisions within one week... seems like they're almost done for the season


Thanks for the share.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i called recruiting and they said they would finalize ALL outstanding decisions within one week... seems like they're almost done for the season


that's plausible. we can't log in to the online scheduling system anymore

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Any movement today? Nada for me and it's been a week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering what you guys think of this:

I had my CB Thursday last week and got a call the next day from Recruiting. The voicemail told me to call back, so I did but I was not able to reach anyone. It turns out the recruiter had left the office for the holidays. Forward to this Tuesday and I get a call from the recruiter. She had some questions for me regarding my status as an international student. When she was done, she promptly said that they'll get back to me before I had a chance to ask her when to expect to hear back. What should I think (if I should think about this at all)?

I mean, the fact that they would bother asking about my application shows they hadn't trashed my application. But the fact that they are not actually getting back to me with an offer seems like they're not interested.

Thoughts?


To fellow non-Americans who are still waiting: I was a past summer at DPW, and had the same thing happened. An offer obviously followed (don't recall how many days later), so do not worry. They just want to confirm your work authorization prospects. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:32 pm

CB wednesday, offer this afternoon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB wednesday, offer this afternoon.


bad news for me. :(
no word from them and cb wednesday...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:16 pm

CB Thursday, nothing yet. Should I be worried?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:24 pm

I interviewed yesterday (Thursday) and got an offer today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB Thursday, nothing yet. Should I be worried?


No. The person right about you had a CB Wednesday and heard today. DPW does seem to be pretty fast though, in comparison to other firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CB wednesday, offer this afternoon.


bad news for me. :(
no word from them and cb wednesday...


+1. Thought my interviews went well, too. Bummer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:57 pm

It seems to me that those who are shoo-in's receive offers very quickly after their callbacks, while others may have to wait for awhile before hearing back from DPW. Alternatively, perhaps different interviewers move at different speeds? Does anyone know what the hiring process is actually like?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wondering what you guys think of this:

I had my CB Thursday last week and got a call the next day from Recruiting. The voicemail told me to call back, so I did but I was not able to reach anyone. It turns out the recruiter had left the office for the holidays. Forward to this Tuesday and I get a call from the recruiter. She had some questions for me regarding my status as an international student. When she was done, she promptly said that they'll get back to me before I had a chance to ask her when to expect to hear back. What should I think (if I should think about this at all)?

I mean, the fact that they would bother asking about my application shows they hadn't trashed my application. But the fact that they are not actually getting back to me with an offer seems like they're not interested.

Thoughts?


To fellow non-Americans who are still waiting: I was a past summer at DPW, and had the same thing happened. An offer obviously followed (don't recall how many days later), so do not worry. They just want to confirm your work authorization prospects. Good luck!


I got the work authorization call 3 days after CB, radio silence for 2 weeks after that, ding snail mail last thursday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Anybody know what kinds of billables junior associates work at DPW? The lockstep system seems great on a number of levels, but it makes hour targets opaque.

Also, interviewed last week, received my offer a few days later.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Interesting to read all of these replies- thanks everyone for sharing and being so helpful.

My CB was 3 1/2 weeks ago, and still radio silence- a bit confusing but doing my best to keep DPW in mind while my other offer deadlines are coming up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Anyone with a CB friday hear back yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk Offers 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know what kinds of billables junior associates work at DPW? The lockstep system seems great on a number of levels, but it makes hour targets opaque.

Also, interviewed last week, received my offer a few days later.


Summered there this year. No hours requirements - people average about 1800-2000 in most groups. Capital Markets is more. It can, of course, change.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.