cancelling callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

cancelling callback

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:26 pm

I am very fortunate to have gotten an offer to a firm that I like more than some of the places with whom i currently have scheduled callbacks. Because i don't want to waste anyone's time or money (or a spot for someone who really wants them), I would like to cancel the callback. Does anyone have any advice for best way to do this? (I also don't know if I am taking the current offer, so I don't want to say I have made my decision- just for personal reasons, I am not sure it is going to work out... (awkward) )

somewhatwayward

Re: cancelling callback

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 pm

i did this last year although i didn't say anything about personal reasons. regardless of the reason, just call the recruiting coordinator and tell them you appreciate the CB but have received another offer and would like to cancel your CB. you don't have to say whether you are going to take the other offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:13 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i did this last year although i didn't say anything about personal reasons. regardless of the reason, just call the recruiting coordinator and tell them you appreciate the CB but have received another offer and would like to cancel your CB. you don't have to say whether you are going to take the other offer.

This.
I just did exactly this and was absolutely fine.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Call and cancel - it's 100% proper for you to do so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:27 pm

On a similar note, what about rescheduling? I'm in the middle of a writing competition and stupidly scheduled a callback in another city, and now I think I'm spreading myself too thin. What can I tell them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:29 pm

How late is too late to cancel a callback?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:32 pm

You could argue that there's no such thing - you're always saving a firm time.

In reality, you'll probably breach decorum if you cancel: After taking a flight, after staying at a hotel, or within ~12 hours of your flight, hotel reservation, or the time you are to interview.

if you actually have already accepted elsewhere, you owe other firms to cancel no matter what the timing. If it happens to be 15 minutes before a flight or CB, the breach in decorum was you accepting an offer so close to when you knew you had to be at a CB, not the actual cancellation, which would of course be expected of you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:How late is too late to cancel a callback?

I mean they cannot cancel flights/hotels if certain time is reached so you should cancel as soon as possible.
And it is always the "right thing" to do if you are not going to go there over the other firm you have the offer with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:On a similar note, what about rescheduling? I'm in the middle of a writing competition and stupidly scheduled a callback in another city, and now I think I'm spreading myself too thin. What can I tell them?

Bump

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On a similar note, what about rescheduling? I'm in the middle of a writing competition and stupidly scheduled a callback in another city, and now I think I'm spreading myself too thin. What can I tell them?

Bump

You are an idiot if you think they will still be interested in you if you tell them the combination of your interview and a writing competition was too strenuous for you.

Also: the cb is more important.

Return to “Legal Employment”