Kaye Scholer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Kaye Scholer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 am

Was just wondering (A) what TLS thinks of Kaye Scholer and (B) whether they turn things around after the screener as quickly as the big NYC firms.

Really enjoyed my screener with them. Interviewer talked passionately about a pro bono matter (unprompted by me) he has been handling for the first ten minutes, and then described their products-liability practice (the main draw for me) in terms that made it sound exciting and trial-oriented.

Hard to gauge how things went, because he talked much more than I did, though the tone of the interview was definitely friendly/conversational. Super-nice guy.

Also, a few of the things he mentioned about settlements made it almost sound like they did plaintiff's work, so I asked if they did plaintiff's work. They don't. Is that bad?

Anonymous User

Re: Kaye Scholer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:54 am

few associates there told me its basically a sweatshop. 4 straight months of 10am to 2am. apparently the partners keep promising to hire more associates but none so far. otherwise they like it. good people/culture and good work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:11 am

I was a SA there and absolutely loved my summer. No, they don't to plaintiff's work; their litigation is defense-side, except on some IP matters. Overall, the culture seems to be pretty friendly as far as law firms go and it seemed like a lot of the associates hung out outside of work. In terms of work, I've gotten the sense that the firm does more trial work than most BigLaw firms, but that's likely because of the products liability practice.

Yes, hours can be crazy, but I'd say they're probably on par with most NYC BigLaw and with some departments being far worse than others.

If you're willing to post non-anon, I can PM you more information.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was a SA there and absolutely loved my summer. No, they don't to plaintiff's work; their litigation is defense-side, except on some IP matters. Overall, the culture seems to be pretty friendly as far as law firms go and it seemed like a lot of the associates hung out outside of work. In terms of work, I've gotten the sense that the firm does more trial work than most BigLaw firms, but that's likely because of the products liability practice.

Yes, hours can be crazy, but I'd say they're probably on par with most NYC BigLaw and with some departments being far worse than others.

OP here. Would love to get more info via PM if you have a chance. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a SA there and absolutely loved my summer. No, they don't to plaintiff's work; their litigation is defense-side, except on some IP matters. Overall, the culture seems to be pretty friendly as far as law firms go and it seemed like a lot of the associates hung out outside of work. In terms of work, I've gotten the sense that the firm does more trial work than most BigLaw firms, but that's likely because of the products liability practice.

*sigh* This is exactly in line with what a friend of mine (at K.S.) tells me. Really wanted this firm; sadly, did not get an interview with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Resolve

New

Post by Resolve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:58 pm

henry flower wrote:

OP here. Would love to get more info via PM if you have a chance. Thanks!
I would also love some info!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

*sigh* This is exactly in line with what a friend of mine (at K.S.) tells me. Really wanted this firm; sadly, did not get an interview with them.
You can always e-mail them your materials. Unless you mean that you had a screener and didn't get a CB -- in which case, sorry. But there are other firms out there, so don't be too upset.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You can always e-mail them your materials. Unless you mean that you had a screener and didn't get a CB -- in which case, sorry. But there are other firms out there, so don't be too upset.
Thanks! No, didn't get a screener. But you know what? I'm going to take your advice and apply on-line! Thanks again!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Has anyone heard anything post-CB?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”