TTTT, 3rd in the class, rising 2L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Duaddle

TTTT, 3rd in the class, rising 2L

Postby Duaddle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 am

An academic advisor at my school gave me a list of about 200 big law firms. Unfortunately, my school has a bad reputation, no OCI, and limited, if any, regional range. Tips? Advice? Ballpark starting salary in this market contingent upon scoring a job preferably in or around a major US city? Should I narrow my search scope?

I’ll be about 140 in debt FYI.

Sorry about how broad the questions are. I understand they may be difficult to answer. I'll accept generalizations.

:D

jessuf

Re: TTTT, 3rd in the class, rising 2L

Postby jessuf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 am

What state/market is your school in?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 am

No one can give you specific advice without knowing what school you go to.

Regardless, you should apply to every single employer in the closest large metropolitan area to where your school is located. Note that I didn't say every large firm; I said every single employer. You need to understand that even though your law school performance is/was admirable, you may not be able to secure a position making $50K+.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:59 am

Jessuf wrote:What state/market is your school in?

Duaddle

Postby Duaddle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:11 am

The Carolinas

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 am

Have you not applied anywhere yet (it's almost September)? Firms are wrapping up hiring by now, so your chances do not look good.

Duaddle

Postby Duaddle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 am

Just a handful. I've been working at the same small firm since sophmore year of college and planned on staying on through this year. I guess my concern for after graduation should be directly tied to what I get now?

zanda

Postby zanda » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 am

Duaddle wrote: I guess my concern for after graduation should be directly tied to what I get now?

Goodness yes.

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 am

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 am

2014utLaw wrote:This will be rude ...

But it's the internet so why not be a dick about it, right?

OP, like others have said you should be applying everywhere right now, not just big firms. It's not really late in the game, but you need to get the ball rolling ASAP. I know you said you go to a TTTT, but browse through some firm websites and see if you can find any alums that you can reach out to. Find any way to get your face in front of someone, which would typically be through the usual networking BS. Do you have any indication whether the firm you are at now would be interested in hiring you after graduation (assuming you would want to work there)?

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 am

Duaddle wrote:The Carolinas

Yes, apply to every single legal employer in the Carolinas. Not just the NALP firms in Charlotte, but also small and midsize firms throughout the states.

Also might be worth some apps to DC and NYC biglaw firms. You probably won't have much luck, but emphasize your academic performance and it's possible.

SuperCerealBrah

Postby SuperCerealBrah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:54 am

2014utLaw wrote:This will be rude: you come to TLS asking for advice, but you clearly have not followed any TLS advice regarding attending a TTTT at sticker. If we give you more advice, will you even follow it?

You should have been mass-mailing for a while now. You also should not have gone to a TTTT in the first place, especially at sticker.

Oh give it a freaking rest. He is 3rd in the class. I think even Cooley of all places landed 2-3 people in big firms didn't they? If he is that high up, I imagine he should be OK. If he is indeed ranked #3, he will probably end up in a better position than below median UTexas people. But again, it would help OP if we knew the specific school.

But yea, its the internet. We are all tough guys here.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 pm

I was #3 TTT and got V50 interviews in a secondary market. It's totally possible, but you really have to get the ball rolling.

I honestly doubt NYC/DC offices of the same firms would be interested in you, though (aeast not in my personal experience through applying for 2L SAs).

SuperCerealBrah

Postby SuperCerealBrah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Jessuf wrote:I was #3 TTT and got V50 interviews in a secondary market. It's totally possible, but you really have to get the ball rolling.

I honestly doubt NYC/DC offices of the same firms would be interested in you, though (aeast not in my personal experience through applying for 2L SAs).

And yea, the bolded. OP, stay in your market. I would be surprised if you weren't able to score some sort of big firm job in your area with grades like that.

Return to “Legal Employment”