Possible to "know" you got a callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
alicrimson

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby alicrimson » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 am

Lasers wrote: It's the letting down softly line. "Some lucky girl will have you one day."

I dislike this one and I dislike the "good luck with the OCI process. I'm sure you are going to do very well." I wish firms would just come out and say yeah....no.
Hang in there though, guys. Hopefully, this process will end with us on top and will be just a bad memory by November. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:29 am

alicrimson wrote:
Lasers wrote: It's the letting down softly line. "Some lucky girl will have you one day."

I dislike this one and I dislike the "good luck with the OCI process. I'm sure you are going to do very well." I wish firms would just come out and say yeah....no.
Hang in there though, guys. Hopefully, this process will end with us on top and will be just a bad memory by November. :)

I got two offers from firms that said good luck with the rest of the OCI process. One was at a callback though, in response to an email I sent after.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 am

Rising up to 2L. T-14. Median. First experience with OCI.

Is there an "average" time between the interview and the cb? Do call backs ever come the same day, or next day? How about dings, are they usually rapid fire, or on some kind of time delay?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rising up to 2L. T-14. Median. First experience with OCI.

Is there an "average" time between the interview and the cb? Do call backs ever come the same day, or next day? How about dings, are they usually rapid fire, or on some kind of time delay?

Really varies on the firm and market. Most of the big coastal markets move faster and make offers earlier, whereas it can take a week or two to hear back after the OCI interview and the CB in a smaller market. I'd say it was generally about a week between OCI and the invitation to CB, and one to two weeks between the CB and the ding/offer. Of course, there isn't uniformity here either... some firms were lightning fast, others were pretty slow. But in general, if you're looking at the primary markets, expect quicker turnaround.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 am

Depends on the firm and the market. All of your subsequent questions can, depending on the firm and market, be answered in the affirmative or the negative.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

I got two offers from firms that said good luck with the rest of the OCI process. One was at a callback though, in response to an email I sent after.

Hmm...here's hoping I will be in teh same boat. :) It's only been two days so I suppose there's hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Last year, I had a firm give me my CB over two weeks after OCI because the interviewer forgot to turn in his list to recruiting.

However, my other suggestion, especially if you are hearing radio silence, is to follow up with your interviewer after OCI stating you haven't heard and expressing interest in the firm (give it a little over a week). I got another CB this way; but I don't know if this interviewer also forgot me, or if I was on a waitlist or what... but a CB is a CB.

Of course, all of this should be done in addition to a new set of mass mailing of basically every firm in every market you would work; including OCI firms at that point.

GertieTheDinosaur

Postby GertieTheDinosaur » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:41 pm

I just had a callback at DPW. My last partner said the classic "you'll definitely have tons of offers." As the interview finished, he winked at me at the door and said "while I can't give you an offer, you'll be hearing from us soon." (with a wink, wink and smile).

All these classic signs point to a no-offer. FUCK. I actually liked the place.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:45 pm

GertieTheDinosaur wrote:I just had a callback at DPW. My last partner said the classic "you'll definitely have tons of offers." As the interview finished, he winked at me at the door and said "while I can't give you an offer, you'll be hearing from us soon." (with a wink, wink and smile).

Eh that sounds more like offer than no-offer based on how you described it but you really can't know for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Someone today came up to me, extremely excited about an interview. As it turns out, the interview had told the individual nearly the same deadly words as were spoken above. I didn't have the heart to explain what they really meant.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:53 pm

GertieTheDinosaur wrote:I just had a callback at DPW. My last partner said the classic "you'll definitely have tons of offers." As the interview finished, he winked at me at the door and said "while I can't give you an offer, you'll be hearing from us soon." (with a wink, wink and smile).

None of those are classic signals dude. They mean the person you interviewed with liked you and will probably recommend you for an offer.

The point of this thread is that often it won't materialize - maybe another partner hated your guts, maybe the committee decides they prefer other students from your school, etc.

If you take away from this thread "interviewer saying nice things = DING" then you're reading too much into it. The point is you can't rely on cues from the interview, not that certain cues mean ding.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:

None of those are classic signals dude. They mean the person you interviewed with liked you and will probably recommend you for an offer.

The point of this thread is that often it won't materialize - maybe another partner hated your guts, maybe the committee decides they prefer other students from your school, etc.

If you take away from this thread "interviewer saying nice things = DING" then you're reading too much into it. The point is you can't rely on cues from the interview, not that certain cues mean ding.

That's the joke....right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Eh that sounds more like offer than no-offer based on how you described it but you really can't know for sure.

This statement at a Screening and at a Callback are two different things. They are not the same! I think at the screening it is almost assuredly going to be a ding. At a callback, it's probably 50/50.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:31 pm

I'm a lowly transfer student. I had a bunch of interviews and they all felt like the same crap. I'm a normal sociable person so none of them went horrible, but i didn't get any CBs from most of them yet. However, I had one OCI interview where I could tell the two ppl interviewing me were legit interested in my background and I called my gf and told her that i felt like the interview went great. I got a CB the next day. If the ppl interviewing you are jumping out of their seats and interested then it means something. At least it did for me. Gluck everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:23 pm

IAFG wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Lasers wrote:interviewer straight up told me: "you have a lot to offer and i can tell you're going to get several offers." no callback.

I actually think this line is a bad sign.

Now that you mention it, it was in one of my ding letters.

This. Something to the effect of "we're confident that you will have many opportunities with your excellent credentials. We wish you the best of luck!"
It's the legal equivalent of "it's not you; it's me."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:36 pm

yesterday someone opened the interview by saying that with my grades and LR i should be approaching OCI by thinking about which firm is the best fit. then we had a good interview. i know this interviewer has given at least 1 callback already (yesterday). ding central?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 pm

I hate it when you have one of those weird in-the-middle interviews, where you think you got on OK, but probably not well enough to get a callback, but there's some little vestige of hope inside you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yesterday someone opened the interview by saying that with my grades and LR i should be approaching OCI by thinking about which firm is the best fit. then we had a good interview. i know this interviewer has given at least 1 callback already (yesterday). ding central?

Same exact thing happened to me. Was it for Cadwalader?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yesterday someone opened the interview by saying that with my grades and LR i should be approaching OCI by thinking about which firm is the best fit. then we had a good interview. i know this interviewer has given at least 1 callback already (yesterday). ding central?

Same exact thing happened to me. Was it for Cadwalader?

no

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:43 pm

After talking with people, I'm gonna change my vote to agreeing with thesealocust wholeheartedly. It could be bad, it could be good, you can't really draw any solid conclusions from it. Also: callback invitations don't necessarily go out at the same time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Really varies on the firm and market. Most of the big coastal markets move faster and make offers earlier, whereas it can take a week or two to hear back after the OCI interview and the CB in a smaller market. I'd say it was generally about a week between OCI and the invitation to CB, and one to two weeks between the CB and the ding/offer. Of course, there isn't uniformity here either... some firms were lightning fast, others were pretty slow. But in general, if you're looking at the primary markets, expect quicker turnaround.

You were right, some really are fast. Received three "invitations" the following day. I imagine the term "callback" came into existence a few decades before email!

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 pm

This post—actually, this whole thread—sure has a lot of winking going on. Are you sure the partner didn't have a piece of pulp in his eye, like George did on that one Seinfeld episode?

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Dignan wrote:

This post—actually, this whole thread—sure has a lot of winking going on. Are you sure the partner didn't have a piece of pulp in his eye, like George did on that one Seinfeld episode?

Poor Morgan...

Return to “Legal Employment”