Possible to "know" you got a callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:49 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So at most firms, the hiring committee is separate from the individual interviewers? And the hiring committee just gets reviews from people that interviewed you?


Most of the time members of the hiring committee do interviews. But they can't do all of them. In those cases they only have a review and your resume/transcripts. FWIW I was told by a member of the hiring committee at the firm where I had my 1L SA that this is a good reason to try and schedule callbacks tuesday-thursday. Partners tend to be not as available on Monday and Friday, and your callback can be staffed with a bunch of people not on the hiring committee.

Is that a good sign if I think my interview on a friday/monday went really bad with at least 1 person, if that 1 person isn't on the hiring comittee?

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby splitmuch » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So at most firms, the hiring committee is separate from the individual interviewers? And the hiring committee just gets reviews from people that interviewed you?


Most of the time members of the hiring committee do interviews. But they can't do all of them. In those cases they only have a review and your resume/transcripts. FWIW I was told by a member of the hiring committee at the firm where I had my 1L SA that this is a good reason to try and schedule callbacks tuesday-thursday. Partners tend to be not as available on Monday and Friday, and your callback can be staffed with a bunch of people not on the hiring committee.

Is that a good sign if I think my interview on a friday/monday went really bad with at least 1 person, if that 1 person isn't on the hiring comittee?



I'm not sure if you're trolling here, but yeah I imagine of course its good that if you had a bad interview, that person is not on the committee that makes the decision...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:26 pm

I had one interviewer basically say "well I can tell you know almost nothing about the firm, so here is who we are..." Then later, said "oh, you are EE I see, we do only software work at our firm, so I'm not sure you'll fit." It was the only screener I "knew" I would not get a CB from, and the first CB I got. Meanwhile several firms I "knew" I was getting a CB from (you're a great candidate, perfect for the firm, blah blah) I got no CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 pm

So how terrible is it if in my thank you note to one of the associates post-callback I addressed her with the name of a different person? Think Mr. Jones when the email was to Ms. White. This was one of the associates I went out to lunch with. The content was unique (and to her), and all of the people I interviewed with got a unique thank you. Would this be enough to deny me an offer? I followed up with a quick email apologizing for calling her the wrong name.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby splitmuch » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had one interviewer basically say "well I can tell you know almost nothing about the firm, so here is who we are..." Then later, said "oh, you are EE I see, we do only software work at our firm, so I'm not sure you'll fit." It was the only screener I "knew" I would not get a CB from, and the first CB I got. Meanwhile several firms I "knew" I was getting a CB from (you're a great candidate, perfect for the firm, blah blah) I got no CB.


I have not gotten a single comment regarding my fit or quality as a candidate. People really told you "you're a great candidate" and "perfect for the firm" in an interview?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:56 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had one interviewer basically say "well I can tell you know almost nothing about the firm, so here is who we are..." Then later, said "oh, you are EE I see, we do only software work at our firm, so I'm not sure you'll fit." It was the only screener I "knew" I would not get a CB from, and the first CB I got. Meanwhile several firms I "knew" I was getting a CB from (you're a great candidate, perfect for the firm, blah blah) I got no CB.


I have not gotten a single comment regarding my fit or quality as a candidate. People really told you "you're a great candidate" and "perfect for the firm" in an interview?

Someone told me I was a perfect fit for their office in a screener. It's been a week so I'm assuming ding. Maybe they really thought I was and the hiring committee didn't think so, or maybe they say that to everyone. Doesn't really matter in the end though.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:01 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had one interviewer basically say "well I can tell you know almost nothing about the firm, so here is who we are..." Then later, said "oh, you are EE I see, we do only software work at our firm, so I'm not sure you'll fit." It was the only screener I "knew" I would not get a CB from, and the first CB I got. Meanwhile several firms I "knew" I was getting a CB from (you're a great candidate, perfect for the firm, blah blah) I got no CB.


I have not gotten a single comment regarding my fit or quality as a candidate. People really told you "you're a great candidate" and "perfect for the firm" in an interview?


Yes, and it turned out to be a ding. Twice in the last 2 weeks. The non-memorable screeners turned into callbacks. You really shouldn't put much stock in how you feel about the interview.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby anon168 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
anon168 wrote:Having done several rounds of OCI, I can tell you that the formula for getting a CB basically boils down to the following equation

1/100 (personality) + 99/100 (grades) = CB chances


If you take anything a screener says or does during OCI as indicative of your chances of getting a CB,* then you're either naive or ignorant, or both.

(*With the exception of them saying something like, "Please go away and never call us again.")

Are you saying that the callback is usually where personality counts?


Yes. By the time you actually make it to the firm, grades are essentially irrelevant. They have to "like" you as a person at that point.


I don't think so. Depends on the firm. Lets say your interviewers liked you, but weren't on the hiring committee, all the committee has is your grades, resume and the notes the interviewers made. No one is going to bat for your personality.


You're not making any sense. It would be odd for a firm's h/c or r/c not to pay attention to what the interviewers have to say about a candidate, esp. if no one from h/c or r/c is doing any of the interviews. And, if a firm is still focusing on grades at the CB, then they're wasting not only your time, but their time.

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby istara » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:21 pm

After having a bunch of interviews today that made me feel soooo much better about my interview skills (got "we'll have to have you come up and meet everyone else at the firm" and "you'll get a lot of offers, so what can we tell you that will make you want to work with us?").. this thread makes me feel like shit!

Oh well.. I'll keep drinking my beer just them same. On to more tomorrow!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:37 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had one interviewer basically say "well I can tell you know almost nothing about the firm, so here is who we are..." Then later, said "oh, you are EE I see, we do only software work at our firm, so I'm not sure you'll fit." It was the only screener I "knew" I would not get a CB from, and the first CB I got. Meanwhile several firms I "knew" I was getting a CB from (you're a great candidate, perfect for the firm, blah blah) I got no CB.


I have not gotten a single comment regarding my fit or quality as a candidate. People really told you "you're a great candidate" and "perfect for the firm" in an interview?


OP, to expand, "we do a ton of EE work in X field that you specialize in, so clearly your background would be a perfect fit with the work we do." Not necessarily, "I can tell by your personality in the last 20 minutes that you would be a perfect fit with the firm." And the great candidate thing I suspect is said to any EE from a decent school with decent grades since a lot of firms are looking for EEs.

The point is, you don't know until you know.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby JJDancer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So how terrible is it if in my thank you note to one of the associates post-callback I addressed her with the name of a different person? Think Mr. Jones when the email was to Ms. White. This was one of the associates I went out to lunch with. The content was unique (and to her), and all of the people I interviewed with got a unique thank you. Would this be enough to deny me an offer? I followed up with a quick email apologizing for calling her the wrong name.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this.

It's a mistake, so obviously it isn't great. I think it's good that the content was about her and you acknowledged the typo and apologized right away. I don't think it's a big deal or that it would cost you an offer or anything. Relax. Just try to be thorough/careful since you don't want them thinking you are careless in your work.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:One firm last fall interviewed me for less than 10 minutes of the 20 minute slot, and the second question out of their mouths was, "What questions do you have for us?" I had to scramble to fill the time that I did. They made it seem very clear they had no interest, and I actually crossed them off my list of firms, assuming that I would be getting a sure ding in the mail. Instead, I got a CB, offer, and will be working there next year.

So no, you really won't have any idea.


Fuck interviewers who do this.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 pm

DrGuano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One interview told me "You have a great resume and you will probably get offers at firms like Cravath, Sullivan and Cromwell, etc...Just look for the culture and choose that way"

No cb.


Happened to me. Was always with a firm that pulled from a lower percentage at my school. Callbacks at DPW, Weil, Cravath, Cleary, Paul Weiss, etc. but not Schulte, Hughes Hubbard, Stroock, or Shearman & Sterling.

When you have 35 bids or more, you have to put these less-selective firms and at the screener level, in this job-market, it'd be crazy to cancel an interview. Still, it's understandable they're not wasting callback slots/time/resources on candidates they are confident will end up at a more selective/better situated firm.

If you are in that position where your grades are above the typical range that a firm you really want pulls from, you should absolutely communicate to your screener your sincere interest in the firm, and back that up by weaving in the research you've done on the firm and the practice area you're interested in.



Don't forget to factor in that firms who aren't very grade selective, just don't care as much about grades. They are making decisions based on other factors. If they don't care if someone is well below median, they probably don't care that you are way above median.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:One firm last fall interviewed me for less than 10 minutes of the 20 minute slot, and the second question out of their mouths was, "What questions do you have for us?" I had to scramble to fill the time that I did. They made it seem very clear they had no interest, and I actually crossed them off my list of firms, assuming that I would be getting a sure ding in the mail. Instead, I got a CB, offer, and will be working there next year.

So no, you really won't have any idea.


Fuck interviewers who do this.

One of my interviews today almost entirely consisted of me asking the interviewers questions.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:36 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:One firm last fall interviewed me for less than 10 minutes of the 20 minute slot, and the second question out of their mouths was, "What questions do you have for us?" I had to scramble to fill the time that I did. They made it seem very clear they had no interest, and I actually crossed them off my list of firms, assuming that I would be getting a sure ding in the mail. Instead, I got a CB, offer, and will be working there next year.

So no, you really won't have any idea.


Fuck interviewers who do this.

One of my interviews today almost entirely consisted of me asking the interviewers questions.


I've done about 60 screener interviews, and at least 5 did it to me. And it's really fucking annoying. At least one happened after he looked at my UG transcript and I could tell I was rejected so I just asked two short questions and left. But other times, I was fairly competitive for the firm.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 pm

i had a "just ask me questions" screener that i was tipped off to, so i had a lot of questions and follow-ups prepared, and kept the interview rolling without any awkward pauses.

after 20 minutes, the interviewer cut off his answer and said "any more questions?" in a pissed off way. i said no, you've been very helpful, and he said "thanks, send the next guy in," and didn't even stand up when i got up to offer a handshake.
Last edited by fatduck on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby reformed calvinist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 pm

So, I interviewed with a firm (preferably their NY office, but also for a couple of NJ ones) last Thursday, and radio silence thus far. I've gotten dings from firms I interviewed with last Friday. Could it be that maybe the NY office doesn't want to give me a CB, but the other offices are considering me? I just have no idea if CBs go out later or earlier than dings and every firm is different and it drives a man crazy.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby anon168 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 pm

People really need to understand, as this thread demonstrates, that OCI is really about grades and cutoffs. Just demonstrate you can put two words together without swallowing your tongue.

Save the Rico Sauve routine for the CB.

Stop trying to read the tea leaves at what happens during OCI. Don't overbid, and you'll be fine in terms of CB percentage.

User avatar
GertieTheDinosaur
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 am

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby GertieTheDinosaur » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:19 pm

I think one thing people don't realize is that polite & engaged interviewers make everyone they speak with feel like they rocked the interview. Awkward burgerz make their batch of interviewees feel alienated and like they bombed it.

So you walk out of the interview from a good interview on cloud 9, but the problem is everyone does too. And vice-versa for the bad ones.

That's the reason you can never really feel like "you rocked the interview." Chances are most people felt that way when they walked out of a good interviewers room.

Just gotta wait for the phonecall breh.

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby DrGuano » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
DrGuano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One interview told me "You have a great resume and you will probably get offers at firms like Cravath, Sullivan and Cromwell, etc...Just look for the culture and choose that way"

No cb.


Happened to me. Was always with a firm that pulled from a lower percentage at my school. Callbacks at DPW, Weil, Cravath, Cleary, Paul Weiss, etc. but not Schulte, Hughes Hubbard, Stroock, or Shearman & Sterling.

When you have 35 bids or more, you have to put these less-selective firms and at the screener level, in this job-market, it'd be crazy to cancel an interview. Still, it's understandable they're not wasting callback slots/time/resources on candidates they are confident will end up at a more selective/better situated firm.

If you are in that position where your grades are above the typical range that a firm you really want pulls from, you should absolutely communicate to your screener your sincere interest in the firm, and back that up by weaving in the research you've done on the firm and the practice area you're interested in.



Don't forget to factor in that firms who aren't very grade selective, just don't care as much about grades. They are making decisions based on other factors. If they don't care if someone is well below median, they probably don't care that you are way above median.


I go to a T30 though, so they're not pulling from well below median. This isn't hard and fast, but basically: Top 1-10%/LR gets DPW, S&C, Skadden, Weil, Paul Weiss, Quinn more or less in that range from 1-10%. 10-25% no LR, but top secondary gets Sidley, Millbank, Sherman, Schulte, Orrick, Kaye Scholer, Chadbourne, etc. 25-33% no LR, other secondary Seward Kissel, Greenberg Traurig, Shephard Mullen, etc.

So at this particular school they do care. Kids top 1-10% on LR are not going to Seward Kissel.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby sunynp » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:39 pm

bk1 wrote:
Lasers wrote:interviewer straight up told me: "you have a lot to offer and i can tell you're going to get several offers." no callback.


I actually think this line is a bad sign.

Totally agree. It is like they are telling you not to worry because someone else will like you even though we don't want you. This line would make me nervous.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:41 pm

sunynp wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Lasers wrote:interviewer straight up told me: "you have a lot to offer and i can tell you're going to get several offers." no callback.


I actually think this line is a bad sign.

Totally agree. It is like they are telling you not to worry because someone else will like you even though we don't want you. This line would make me nervous.

Sounds like a YP ding to me.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:42 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
sunynp wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Lasers wrote:interviewer straight up told me: "you have a lot to offer and i can tell you're going to get several offers." no callback.


I actually think this line is a bad sign.

Totally agree. It is like they are telling you not to worry because someone else will like you even though we don't want you. This line would make me nervous.

Sounds like a YP ding to me.


It's the letting down softly line. "Some lucky girl will have you one day."

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby Lasers » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 pm

sunynp wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Lasers wrote:interviewer straight up told me: "you have a lot to offer and i can tell you're going to get several offers." no callback.


I actually think this line is a bad sign.

Totally agree. It is like they are telling you not to worry because someone else will like you even though we don't want you. This line would make me nervous.

yeah, this is what i thought like 5 minutes after the interview. no CB only confirmed it.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12579
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Possible to "know" you got a callback?

Postby jessuf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 am

I've had interviewers comment on my grades, LR, and how my personality would fit their firm culture. Then radio silence while CBs came in for other people at my school. I feel like they say these things to everyone.

Plus, as a transfer, I'm pretty much an auto ding at most firms I really like.

I was told to bid really safely by CSO (concentrating on firms that pull median from my school), but I bid all over the V100 spectrum. Not sure if this was so smart now.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.