UVa OGI Callback Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVa OGI Callback Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Boies NYC ding. Really, a separate PDF on how much I will go on to accomplish vastly important things in the legal field but there was just someone brighter than me? Urgh, just put the sting in the email body!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:34 pm

What's the word on when you have received neither ding nor CB? I know some firms do things in waves but that's considered common. I guess I'm just looking for any kind of hope here when nine of my firms have kept me in forgot-to-give-a-ding limbo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the word on when you have received neither ding nor CB? I know some firms do things in waves but that's considered common. I guess I'm just looking for any kind of hope here when nine of my firms have kept me in forgot-to-give-a-ding limbo.

Probably depends on the firm. If it's a firm that sends out snail mail dings, you might be waiting for it to hit your mailbox. If it's a firm that sends out email dings, and you know that some callbacks and dings have gone out, they might be waiting for a bit to make a determination.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Cahill cb via email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

K&L Gates has issued at least some call backs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have Weil NY?

Yeah. Dinner was tonight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the word on when you have received neither ding nor CB? I know some firms do things in waves but that's considered common. I guess I'm just looking for any kind of hope here when nine of my firms have kept me in forgot-to-give-a-ding limbo.

Probably depends on the firm. If it's a firm that sends out snail mail dings, you might be waiting for it to hit your mailbox. If it's a firm that sends out email dings, and you know that some callbacks and dings have gone out, they might be waiting for a bit to make a determination.

I have zero rejections out of OGI so far with 13 interviews last week. Is this odd?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Know several non-LR (and not particularly close) with 8+.

Ouch. What does not particularly close mean?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have zero rejections out of OGI so far with 13 interviews last week. Is this odd?

What market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Double ouch. So all the site checks, freaking AUGUST WEEK, harassing the library staff for PDF scans is all for nothing. fun fun

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to follow up on ^ - also have double digit callbacks in NY and am not LR (did a lot of interview prep though)

Whoever the few people were that chimed in on this: I am willing to bet money you are 3.6+ or close to that - if not then at least 3.5. If your grades are like that I am still not surprised at your number of callbacks and I wouldn't hastily attribute it to "interview prep". I have several CBs at median and I think those people with a small number and 3.5+ are an exception rather than a rule. Perhaps they were more visible early on in this thread when they were freaking out about not having heard back from many firms...but still an exception and not a rule. That talk seems to have died down a little anyway since last week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What market?

Half NY half secondaries. Wondering about the 6 in NY. Just reject me already, assholes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Double ouch. So all the site checks, freaking AUGUST WEEK, harassing the library staff for PDF scans is all for nothing. fun fun

I don't understand any part of this, aside from the fact that I think you meant "cite checks"...and I still don't get it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't understand any part of this, aside from the fact that I think you meant "cite checks"...and I still don't get it

The OP is complaining about VLR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It means I get a shitload of work and no boost in # of cbs compared to non-LR people. Get it now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It means I get a shitload of work and no boost in # of cbs compared to non-LR people. Get it now?

This assumes that number of CBs is the only important metric. If you're getting 5 CBs to V10s, and the other people are getting 15 CBs to Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen-type firms, then I'd say you're ahead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It means I get a shitload of work and no boost in # of cbs compared to non-LR people. Get it now?

Yeah but it would have been a lot easier if you actually wrote in proper English. Breaking out my tiny violin for you as we speak

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Stay focused, guys. For as much as I'm on TLS, I went dark during OGI, it's just too stressful. Much better to go off and do your own thing and not worry about everybody else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah but it would have been a lot easier if you actually wrote in proper English. Breaking out my tiny violin for you as we speak

Don't be an asshole.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 pm

5ky wrote:Stay focused, guys. For as much as I'm on TLS, I went dark during OGI, it's just too stressful. Much better to go off and do your own thing and not worry about everybody else.

HAHA. I literally can't drink with anyone anymore because the conversation ultimately devolves into callback speak as soon as we get a little buzzed. Also I have no friends outside the law school. So I'm pretty much holed up in my apartment, which I don't think is advisory under "doing your own thing" in this situation. All this hard work for what appears to be for naught because of my median grades. I would ask that someone please just kill me but apparently referencing suicide is bannable these days. So I won't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't be an asshole.

Then don't be a humblebragging douche

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:Stay focused, guys. For as much as I'm on TLS, I went dark during OGI, it's just too stressful. Much better to go off and do your own thing and not worry about everybody else.

HAHA. I literally can't drink with anyone anymore because the conversation ultimately devolves into callback speak as soon as we get a little buzzed. Also I have no friends outside the law school. So I'm pretty much holed up in my apartment, which I don't think is advisory under "doing your own thing" in this situation. All this hard work for what appears to be for naught because of my median grades. I would ask that someone please just kill me but apparently referencing suicide is bannable these days. So I won't.

Don't be a hero, manage the pain. Keep a bottle of scotch on your desk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

+ fucking 1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't be an asshole.

Then don't be a humblebragging douche

Dude, tell me exactly where I started bragging. All I did was point out that I have MUCH fewer cbs than some of the non-LR people referenced in this thread and that LR is a ton of work. Nowhere did I put down those non-LR people who are fortunate enough to have a lot of contact from firms and don't have to do 8 cite checks a year. Nowhere did I sneakily hint that somehow I was so much better just because I am on LR. Stop being so offended at such a simple statement: I envy the people who 1) have such a high # of cbs, and 2) don't have to go through the work that LR entails.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Dude, tell me exactly where I started bragging. All I did was point out that I have fewer cbs than some of the non-LR people referenced in this thread and that LR is a ton of work. Nowhere did I put down those non-LR people who are fortunate enough to have a lot of contact from firms and don't have to do 8 cite checks a year. Nowhere did I sneakily hint that somehow I was so much better just because I am on LR. Stop being so offended at such a simple statement: I envy the people who 1) have such a high # of cbs, and 2) don't having to go through the work that LR entails.

You starting "humblebragging" when you used your fortuitous predicament of being on VLR to complain, since I am fairly certain that you have a decent number of callbacks (I would be surprised if it was under 5) when the people who really should have license to complain or react negatively are the people trying their hardest with far fewer callbacks than that. If you only have a couple callbacks (perhaps if you are a write-on with low grades or an exceptionally poor interviewer) then you are more than welcome to join the dark side and I will take back all the bitchiness I just threw your way. Your move.

Return to “Legal Employment”