UVa OGI Callback Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVa OGI Callback Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:34 am

Cozen philly yesterday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Davis Polk (NY): email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Davis Polk (NY): email

Me too. Was very nervous when I saw the email though!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Davis Polk (NY): email

Me too. Was very nervous when I saw the email though!

+1. I thought it was for sure a ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Dechert (Philly)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Cleary dc (email)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
If you think you're in trouble, then I challenege you (yes you, reader) to (e)mail as many applications to law firms in areas you have ties to as you can possibly manage. Be proactive. This is hiring season, not just OGI season, and your interviews in Slaughter hall are not the only way you can come up with a job.

UVA 3L here. I would really encourage 2L's not write off Sealocust's advice here. I received biglaw firm offers during 1L and 2L from outside of UVA's OGI. It can definitely happen.

+1. Another UVA 3L here, spent the summer at a firm that didn't come to OGI. Don't be afraid to reach out to UVA alum, including partners, at firms that don't come to OGI. They (usually) enjoy helping students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Both Williams and Connolly and Wilmer (DC) within the last couple hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
If you think you're in trouble, then I challenege you (yes you, reader) to (e)mail as many applications to law firms in areas you have ties to as you can possibly manage. Be proactive. This is hiring season, not just OGI season, and your interviews in Slaughter hall are not the only way you can come up with a job.

UVA 3L here. I would really encourage 2L's not write off Sealocust's advice here. I received biglaw firm offers during 1L and 2L from outside of UVA's OGI. It can definitely happen.

+1. Another UVA 3L here, spent the summer at a firm that didn't come to OGI. Don't be afraid to reach out to UVA alum, including partners, at firms that don't come to OGI. They (usually) enjoy helping students.

When did you start mailing? Was this at this point? Secondary market? What level firms? Yes these rapid fire questions come with free panic

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
When did you start mailing? Was this at this point? Secondary market? What level firms? Yes these rapid fire questions come with free panic

2L at median here. I mass mailed all the NALP firms in my midwest home market (about 16) in late July and got 4 screeners out of it and counting along with preselects from the firms that come to OGI from that market; one screener offer was just today so it's not too late. Already have a couple callbacks in my home market lined up next week, along with a couple NYC callbacks from OGI. I think anyone, even people with higher grades than me, would be remiss not to do this. If I only had the OGI CBs I do right now I'd be sweating bullets. Instead I'm just regular sweating. Want an offer ASAP.

Oh, I also networked a lot with UVA alums there this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I started mailing earlier than this, end of July/ early August. But I didn't hear back from some firms until mid or late September, so I think there is still time. The firms I mass mailed and heard back from were all NLJ 250, non Vault, firms in either the city I grew up in or another city where I worked for a time (one small city around 125,000 people and one major US city that is not NY or DC). I did better in the smaller city than in the larger city. But the thing that helped me the most I think was getting in contact with UVA alums.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Any 3Ls who went through the OGI Process with callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Anyone heard from Perkins Coie for any of their offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2L at median here. I mass mailed all the NALP firms in my midwest home market (about 16) in late July and got 4 screeners out of it and counting along with preselects from the firms that come to OGI from that market; one screener offer was just today so it's not too late. Already have a couple callbacks in my home market lined up next week, along with a couple NYC callbacks from OGI. I think anyone, even people with higher grades than me, would be remiss not to do this. If I only had the OGI CBs I do right now I'd be sweating bullets. Instead I'm just regular sweating. Want an offer ASAP.

Just curious but how many CBs do you have now that would have made you pretty nervous? I'm wondering what the average # of CBs is for people out of the first week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Shearman & Sterling DC CB by email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 pm

K&L Gates Pittsburgh and Dechert Philadelphia by phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shearman & Sterling DC CB by email
When did you hear?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Shearman & Sterling DC CB by email
When did you hear?

This afternoon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just curious but how many CBs do you have now that would have made you pretty nervous? I'm wondering what the average # of CBs is for people out of the first week.

I have 4. 2 are from OGI and 2 are from screeners I did before OGI in my home market. I have friends with lower grades than me who have 3+ CBs from OGI and friends with higher grades with less. I think it really depends

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I have 4. 2 are from OGI and 2 are from screeners I did before OGI in my home market. I have friends with lower grades than me who have 3+ CBs from OGI and friends with higher grades with less. I think it really depends

From my experience thus far this year it is SO dependent on crazy intangible things. Roommate and I have similar grades, similar backgrounds but I have a large (I think in comparison to others) number of CBs and roommate has a small number.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Has anyone heard from TX other than v&e and hayboo? Having a mild breakdown from the silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From my experience thus far this year it is SO dependent on crazy intangible things. Roommate and I have similar grades, similar backgrounds but I have a large (I think in comparison to others) number of CBs and roommate has a small number.

Definitely agree with this. I feel like I am underperforming given grades/the firms that preselected me, but it's possible that bad interviewing/lack of WE/whatever else is coming into play. At least earlier last week, there were a bunch of people in these threads in the 3.5 range who were worried about having only 1-3 CBs. I still haven't heard of anyone who's not LR having say, 5+ CBs, but as others have mentioned, this could just be because it's easier for such students to lose anonymity, and not everyone is on TLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from TX other than v&e and hayboo? Having a mild breakdown from the silence.

I know that (at least some) callbacks have gone out for Jones Day, Andrews Kurth, and Jackson Walker Dallas. I have no knowledge of Houston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Seems like a quiet monday on the callback front but I guess Friday was light

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:10 pm

A&B CB

Return to “Legal Employment”