UVa OGI Callback Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVa OGI Callback Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Dude, tell me exactly where I started bragging. All I did was point out that I have fewer cbs than some of the non-LR people referenced in this thread and that LR is a ton of work. Nowhere did I put down those non-LR people who are fortunate enough to have a lot of contact from firms and don't have to do 8 cite checks a year. Nowhere did I sneakily hint that somehow I was so much better just because I am on LR. Stop being so offended at such a simple statement: I envy the people who 1) have such a high # of cbs, and 2) don't having to go through the work that LR entails.
You starting "humblebragging" when you used your fortuitous predicament of being on VLR to complain, since I am fairly certain that you have a decent number of callbacks (I would be surprised if it was under 5) when the people who really should have license to complain or react negatively are the people trying their hardest with far fewer callbacks than that. If you only have a couple callbacks (perhaps if you are a write-on with low grades or an exceptionally poor interviewer) then you are more than welcome to join the dark side and I will take back all the bitchiness I just threw your way. Your move.
I have 3. Next time before you jump down someone's throat, you should take 2 seconds to think through the possibility that "VLR" on a resume doesn't automatically mean 5+ callbacks. Thanks for being exceptionally bitchy this evening.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 am

Alright, I take it all back. I am truly sorry for your predicament.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:01 am

Kind of separate q (not above anons): while 3 is low for an LR grade-on, is it really "screwed" territory? Esp. if those are V firms in NY/DC? Should anyone with less than 5 be mass mailing?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:07 am

Anyone with a callback at Pepper Hamilton Philly having a problem with the recruiter responding to the email we were old to write to schedule the callback? Emailed her last week and have heard nothing back...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Kind of separate q (not above anons): while 3 is low for an LR grade-on, is it really "screwed" territory? Esp. if those are V firms in NY/DC? Should anyone with less than 5 be mass mailing?
I'd be mass mailing if I were you, no question. I can think of no reason not to. And it being a pain in the ass during a busy time does not constitute a good reason.

However, keep in mind that there are definitely firms that haven't gotten back to people yet after screeners, that you likely have a few screeners today or tomorrow, and that 3 callbacks - especially if they are with firms with large summer classes - is definitely not "screwed territory." Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:40 am

Just to clarify, I was reffing the above poster -- didn't want to imply I was another LR person with 3 (although others may exist). Thanks for the advice.

- 8:01.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Freshfields? If yes, what office and when?
Let's get this thread back on track. There has been at least one Freshfields CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Dude, tell me exactly where I started bragging. All I did was point out that I have fewer cbs than some of the non-LR people referenced in this thread and that LR is a ton of work. Nowhere did I put down those non-LR people who are fortunate enough to have a lot of contact from firms and don't have to do 8 cite checks a year. Nowhere did I sneakily hint that somehow I was so much better just because I am on LR. Stop being so offended at such a simple statement: I envy the people who 1) have such a high # of cbs, and 2) don't having to go through the work that LR entails.
You starting "humblebragging" when you used your fortuitous predicament of being on VLR to complain, since I am fairly certain that you have a decent number of callbacks (I would be surprised if it was under 5) when the people who really should have license to complain or react negatively are the people trying their hardest with far fewer callbacks than that. If you only have a couple callbacks (perhaps if you are a write-on with low grades or an exceptionally poor interviewer) then you are more than welcome to join the dark side and I will take back all the bitchiness I just threw your way. Your move.
I have 3. Next time before you jump down someone's throat, you should take 2 seconds to think through the possibility that "VLR" on a resume doesn't automatically mean 5+ callbacks. Thanks for being exceptionally bitchy this evening.
Good grief, you two are insufferable. This is the exact reason why those of us with median grades and few to 0 callbacks hate being around the law school/Bilt right now. I am strongly considering drinking my sorrows away in a corner in St. Maartens rather than going to Tunlaw this weekend just so I can avoid this type of d-baggery.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have Weil NY?
Yeah. Dinner was tonight.

Can anyone confirm this? I know enough people I probably would have heard about it firsthand, but maybe not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 am

Weil cb dinner was last night - I have heard that Weil may have dipped lower in the GPA pool for those individuals that had callbacks last night on the belief that those with higher GPA's may have already committed to firms by the time CBs roll around. That's unconfirmed but there were very few LR people at the dinner last night, so it may have some credence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have Weil NY?
Yeah. Dinner was tonight.

Can anyone confirm this? I know enough people I probably would have heard about it firsthand, but maybe not?
I know of one person who got an invite. It came at the end of his/her interview. I know of three people (two LR) who did not get invites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 am

Anyone hear from Boies Schiller DC one way or the other?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Weil cb dinner was last night - I have heard that Weil may have dipped lower in the GPA pool for those individuals that had callbacks last night on the belief that those with higher GPA's may have already committed to firms by the time CBs roll around. That's unconfirmed but there were very few LR people at the dinner last night, so it may have some credence.
Funny. LR here, no CB. Would definitely have considered Weil.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 am

Yeah, hilarious to think you can get "yield protected" even if you don't have better offers to accept.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Weil cb dinner was last night - I have heard that Weil may have dipped lower in the GPA pool for those individuals that had callbacks last night on the belief that those with higher GPA's may have already committed to firms by the time CBs roll around. That's unconfirmed but there were very few LR people at the dinner last night, so it may have some credence.
It seems strange. I'm the original anon who asked for confirmation. Non-LR, but top 10% and Weil was really high on my list. Thought I expressed that well during the interview. OGI can seem random.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It seems strange. I'm the original anon who asked for confirmation. Non-LR, but top 10% and Weil was really high on my list. Thought I expressed that well during the interview. OGI can seem random.
Similar boat. Maybe we didn't seem like a good fit in the interview...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Similar boat. Maybe we didn't seem like a good fit in the interview...
That goes to show that it's what the interviewer and the hiring board thinks about the interviewee, not what the interviewee thinks. I got a callback from what I thought was my worst interview last week, and I got a same-day rejection from what I thought was my best.

-10:13

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kind of separate q (not above anons): while 3 is low for an LR grade-on, is it really "screwed" territory? Esp. if those are V firms in NY/DC? Should anyone with less than 5 be mass mailing?
Anyone without an offer should be mailing--maybe not mass mailing, but looking to pick up more interviews is always a good idea. Having just 2 or 3 callbacks is certainly not "screwed territory" (odds are you'll probably get at least one offer if they are with major-market firms), but as long as there's any chance that you won't have an offer from OGI, you should always be seeking more interviews. Risk aversion, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Has anyone heard or know of anyone who has heard from these Houston firms:

Bracewell
Baker Botts
Sidley Austin
Latham Watkins
Jones Day
Andrews Kurth

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Katten NY email ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Katten NY email ding
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard or know of anyone who has heard from these Houston firms:

Bracewell
Baker Botts
Sidley Austin
Latham Watkins
Jones Day
Andrews Kurth
Can confirm that some AK (Houston) have come out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard or know of anyone who has heard from these Houston firms:

Bracewell
Baker Botts
Sidley Austin
Latham Watkins
Jones Day
Andrews Kurth
Can confirm that some AK (Houston) have come out.
Phone or email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Bracewell coming out right now

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell coming out right now
which office?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.