Moving to NYC for a firm job; how much $$$ on hand for apt?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving to NYC for a firm job; how much $$$ on hand for apt?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 pm

I know the rental market is crazy, I'm wondering how much cash you actually need to have available to fork over to get an apartment.

I'm hoping to score something on the cheaper end, but I hear things like first + last month's rent + security deposit + broker's fee, which could be multiple thousands of dollars even with a 'cheap' NYC apartment?

Anybody have concrete experience/advice?

(anon because too many personal Qs like this tied to an account makes 'outing' trivial)

law2015

Re: Moving to NYC for a firm job; how much $$$ on hand for apt?

Postby law2015 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:27 pm

That seems about right, depending on the landlord you might not be asked to pay for the last month. Expect to pay a 15% of the yearly rent broker fee and first months rent as well as the security deposit.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:30 pm

For a decent apartment you'll need somewhere between five and ten grand (more if you want to swank out)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm

I just got a place in the financial district that had no broker's fee and only required the first month's rent and security deposit to be paid upfront. It requires a little more work on your part, but you can find deals like this in NYC if you try.

Return to “Legal Employment”