OCI Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessuf

OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby jessuf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Join me in willing the phone to ring with good news, sharing CBs you received and how they went, asking questions,rejoicing, ranting or sobbing whatever.

Anonymous User

Re: OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Had callbacks with Cleary, Milbank, Skadden and Latham last week. Haven't heard back from any of them. Anyone else heard back from any of these firms recently?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm

For those with callbacks, where do you go to school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those with callbacks, where do you go to school?

UT

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:20 pm

How do you gauge the firm's interest in you at the callback? I had virtually no surprises at the screener level re: which firm's did/didn't extend callbacks. After my callback today, however, I have no idea how I did! You meet so many people so while I think it went well, who knows!

Any insight on what is a good/bad sign at a callback? I hate not knowing!! (UCLA btw)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you gauge the firm's interest in you at the callback? I had virtually no surprises at the screener level re: which firm's did/didn't extend callbacks. After my callback today, however, I have no idea how I did! You meet so many people so while I think it went well, who knows!

Any insight on what is a good/bad sign at a callback? I hate not knowing!! (UCLA btw)

probably the same things that are good/bad signs at the screening interview. eye contact, interest, good conversation, etc. I'm at 9 callbacks now (USC); the excitement is gone and I want it to be over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you gauge the firm's interest in you at the callback? I had virtually no surprises at the screener level re: which firm's did/didn't extend callbacks. After my callback today, however, I have no idea how I did! You meet so many people so while I think it went well, who knows!

probably the same things that are good/bad signs at the screening interview. eye contact, interest, good conversation, etc. I'm at 9 callbacks now (USC); the excitement is gone and I want it to be over.

9 callbacks?! Holy crap, good job!

I've had 1 of 3 CBs so far. Had my CB with Sidley this week and it doesn't look like I'll hear until mid-next week at the very earliest. Two more CBs this week. The waiting is brutal.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I second that the wait is brutal. Already done some callbacks, have more scheduled, and OCI starts tomorrow. Would be so nice to have an offer by now, but still waiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats on 9! Wow.
I've got 4 CBs set up (only been to one of them so far) out of 16 screeners and I'm waiting on 3 firms so the most I would have is 7. Don't think I could handle more than that many. And the more CBs, you usually wait longer for better offers etc, weighing all the choices. I'm hoping to end up with 5-7 CBs and hope I get 1-3 offers to pick between.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:11 pm

What was the average wait time between screener and callback Offer for everyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Jessuf wrote:What was the average wait time between screener and callback Offer for everyone?

My first 3 CBs all came on a Thursday for firms I had interviewed with on the previous Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday. Just got my fourth CB today for a firm I screened with last Wednesday.

So, for me, it has been anywhere from one day to roughly a week. Still waiting on 10 other firms.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:What was the average wait time between screener and callback Offer for everyone?

My first 3 CBs all came on a Thursday for firms I had interviewed with on the previous Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday.

Does this mean it took 10, 9, and 8 days from screener to CB notification, or 3, 2, and 1 from screener to CB notification?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My first 3 CBs all came on a Thursday for firms I had interviewed with on the previous Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday.

Does this mean it took 10, 9, and 8 days from screener to CB notification, or 3, 2, and 1 from screener to CB notification?

Oops, sorry, that was confusing -- it took 3, 2, and 1 days from screener to CB notification.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oops, sorry, that was confusing -- it took 3, 2, and 1 days from screener to CB notification.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Fastest invitation to a CB was 24 hours after the screener, longest one was 6 days later (including a weekend). Still waiting on 3 firms. All others haven't given an official ding but I am assuming they are out.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Ok, good to know that post-24 hours isn't exactly a KO!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

My first 3 CBs all came on a Thursday for firms I had interviewed with on the previous Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday. Just got my fourth CB today for a firm I screened with last Wednesday.

So, for me, it has been anywhere from one day to roughly a week. Still waiting on 10 other firms.

What school? Emory?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What school? Emory?

USC

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 pm

Starting mine tomorrow. EEEEEEEEEK.

Did you guys do any prep different from OCI? Just do a little more depth? I have my list of interviewers, but beyond that, I'm not really sure what to prepare.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:25 pm

shock259 wrote:Starting mine tomorrow. EEEEEEEEEK.

Did you guys do any prep different from OCI? Just do a little more depth? I have my list of interviewers, but beyond that, I'm not really sure what to prepare.

Have a TON of questions prepared. One of my 30 minute interviews started with "so the point of this is for me to answer all of your questions about this firm... so ask away."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:28 pm

My first CB was with a firm I happened to know a lot about, so my interview prep was not too intense -- I wrote down some key facts about each interviewer (practice area, law school, anything interesting about them from their bio), and skimmed parts of the firm's website (particularly, the pages that related to the summer associate program) and came up with a few firm-specific questions that I could throw in if there was down time. I found the CB to be a little tiring, but not too different from the screener.

That being said, I have some CBs later this week with firms that I know a lot less about, so I'll probably spend more time reading the chambers guide, scouring the website, maybe checking lexis/westlaw for the attorneys I'm interviewing with, etc.

anon5225

Postby anon5225 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 am

ilovesf wrote:

Have a TON of questions prepared. One of my 30 minute interviews started with "so the point of this is for me to answer all of your questions about this firm... so ask away."

seconded on this. I scheduled my first one for the day after OCI ended. I did little question preparing as a result, and I think it showed.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:08 am

anon5225 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

seconded on this. I scheduled my first one for the day after OCI ended. I did little question preparing as a result, and I think it showed.

I prepped a lot, but I felt like I kind of knew everything I wanted to know. I had a really hard time coming up with good questions that showed I did research. So I just ended up asking some stupid questions like why they chose their practice groups, what they thought stood out about the firm, etc. I also asked questions about work assignment, etc, but 30 minutes is a reallyyyy long time for just asking questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 am

If invited to dinner send thank you note?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:If invited to dinner send thank you note?

I had a dinner separate from a CB and I didn't send a thank you note. I'm still wondering whether I should have sent one to the person who invited me. [thesealocust says no]

Return to “Legal Employment”