Pushing for another Office in Screening Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Pushing for another Office in Screening Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 am

So simplicity has my applying to one office of a V15 firm but the interviewer is from another office. I have no ties to either and I think maybe the firm was oversubscribed and the CSO made room where it could to get us as many interviews as possible. I want the NYC office. Since the interviewer isn't from the firm I'm supposedly interviewing for, would it be bad to push for NYC or DC?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Pushing for another Office in Screening Interview

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:42 am

I'm confused. Lots of firms have interviewers who interview for multiple offices. It's not weird that the person who is interviewing you is not from the office you are applying to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pushing for another Office in Screening Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 am

bk1 wrote:I'm confused. Lots of firms have interviewers who interview for multiple offices. It's not weird that the person who is interviewing you is not from the office you are applying to.


Simplicity has me interviewing at the Dallas office of the firm but the interviewer is from LA. Do you think it would be a problem then to be like "Dallas is cool but I want to be in DC / NY." I've read on here that it is best to go with the office your interviewer is from if you are considering two markets but mine is from neither.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Pushing for another Office in Screening Interview

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:I'm confused. Lots of firms have interviewers who interview for multiple offices. It's not weird that the person who is interviewing you is not from the office you are applying to.


Simplicity has me interviewing at the Dallas office of the firm but the interviewer is from LA. Do you think it would be a problem then to be like "Dallas is cool but I want to be in DC / NY." I've read on here that it is best to go with the office your interviewer is from if you are considering two markets but mine is from neither.


1) is this preselect?

2) are they interviewing for DC/NYC?

If one interviewing is doing all the offices, pick the office you want the most and tell them. If they have a different interviewer for NYC/DC, then you are kinda fucked and should have bid on that one.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Pushing for another Office in Screening Interview

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:55 am

It sounds like in this situation, the firm is only interviewing for offices OP doesn't want but OP wants the firm so he bid them anyway.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pushing for another Office in Screening Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:07 am

OP here. It is not preselect and I did bid on those offices but I think the firm split up their interviews based on the office. Thanks for the help though; It appears that there is only a single interviewer so it is probably just an arbitrary designation by simplicity.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Pushing for another Office in Screening Interview

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. It is not preselect and I did bid on those offices but I think the firm split up their interviews based on the office. Thanks for the help though; It appears that there is only a single interviewer so it is probably just an arbitrary designation by simplicity.


Just tell them which office you want. I wouldn't say NYC or DC. Pick now.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.