Minneapolis Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Minneapolis Legal Market

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 am

Offer from Robins.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 am

CB with Dorsey next week, got the call last Wednesday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Dorsey?

for offers or for callbacks?

Offers. Did my callback there a little over a week ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Offer from Robins.

stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 am

Good grades/LR from T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 am

I've been told that for some candidates Robins has gone straight from screener to offer. Can anyone confirm this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:33 am

also had CB with Winthrop. Also told that committee was meeting on Friday. looking for news early next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:. . . gone straight from screener to offer. Can anyone confirm this?

Can confirm this. Also just heard about someone getting a callback from Dorsey yesterday, so for those waiting for offers they may be waiting for new cb's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:46 pm

What's the deal with Robins? Everyone there seemed really weird/awkward/strained/ego-maniacal. It was by far the strangest screener I've had-- almost every question seemed completely out of left field and many struck me as quite irrelevant to the hiring process. I would almost describe my visit as intense to the level of being a little scary. Completely different than any other CB or screener I've had in this entire process. What's their angle?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:. . . gone straight from screener to offer. Can anyone confirm this?

Can confirm this. Also just heard about someone getting a callback from Dorsey yesterday, so for those waiting for offers they may be waiting for new cb's.

I have a close connection at the firm who told me they haven't even figured out who they wanted to call back from some of the T14s they did OCI with yet. I realize this may be complete BS, but if it's true then yeah, they're really staggered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the deal with Robins? Everyone there seemed really weird/awkward/strained/ego-maniacal. It was by far the strangest screener I've had-- almost every question seemed completely out of left field and many struck me as quite irrelevant to the hiring process. I would almost describe my visit as intense to the level of being a little scary. Completely different than any other CB or screener I've had in this entire process. What's their angle?

I felt the same way about Robins (and to a lesser extent Dorsey as well).

I eventually just settled on the conclusion that MN firms are just weird and accepted an offer in a different market, despite the fact that I love Minneapolis.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the deal with Robins? Everyone there seemed really weird/awkward/strained/ego-maniacal. It was by far the strangest screener I've had-- almost every question seemed completely out of left field and many struck me as quite irrelevant to the hiring process. I would almost describe my visit as intense to the level of being a little scary. Completely different than any other CB or screener I've had in this entire process. What's their angle?

I felt the same way about Robins (and to a lesser extent Dorsey as well).

I eventually just settled on the conclusion that MN firms are just weird and accepted an offer in a different market, despite the fact that I love Minneapolis.

I do think those two are both oddballs. But I think there are still some great minny firms. I love the people at Faegre- really hoping I get that one

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 am

Anything from LSD?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Mind sharing what the Dorsey CB was like/how it went?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Winthrop offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Winthrop offer

congrats. very, very jealous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Winthrop offer

anyone else hear from Winthrop?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Mind sharing what the Dorsey CB was like/how it went?

Pretty routine, 2 partners, an associate, then lunch with 2 associates. Really enjoyed my visit there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:50 pm

bump. really anxious about Winthrop news. saw that an offer was extended on Friday. hoping for any/all info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Anyone hear from Dorsey post-callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Got a Winthrop rejection letter about a week after CB. Same goes for Maslon. really hoping this isn't setting a trend...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a Winthrop rejection letter about a week after CB. Same goes for Maslon. really hoping this isn't setting a trend...

How long ago did you do you CB? Around 2 weeks since mine and haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a Winthrop rejection letter about a week after CB. Same goes for Maslon. really hoping this isn't setting a trend...

How long ago did you do you CB? Around 2 weeks since mine and haven't heard anything.

About 2.5 weeks. From what they told me most people get put on the hold list until they complete interviews so if you didn't get a letter right away you're still in the running

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:51 pm

As a UMN student, this is the word I have -

Many offers have been made by Winthrop with a large number of those still outstanding -- I think they would have to wait for a lot of people to reject those offers before they make another round of offers.
Briggs has made a number of offers, many of which have been accepted. Unless they are planning on having a large class, it would appear that not many spots are left to be filled.
Dorsey has an extended schedule that seems to be on a rolling basis in all regards -- they appear to be in the middle of their cycle (however loosely defined a middle can be)
Faegre has made a number of offers, although I have no idea who has taken them or rejected them.
Maslon has sent out a wave of rejection letters after callbacks and I have no idea who has gotten an offer there.
RKMC seems to be doing a non-typical hiring process and I have heard the rumors of screener-->offer as well. Not sure where they are at but there have been a few rejects after callbacks that I have heard and at least one offer after a callback that occurred last week.
Fredrikson told me last week that they are wrapping up their callbacks and will be letting people know before 9/17

All other firms, I have no valuable information on. Again, these are the happenings at UMN so other schools may have other timelines and experiences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Anything from LSD?

Return to “Legal Employment”