Minneapolis Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Minneapolis Legal Market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:33 pm

So what are "hot" area at Fredrikson?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard post-CB from Gray Plant? It's been almost three weeks since mine, and no word

People at my school heard back post-CB. HTH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Post Fredrikson CB Ding via email last friday. Callback was 2.5 weeks ago.
Maslon post CB ding 10 days ago.
Briggs is evidently full but I haven't been officially dinged

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Not that offers = spots, but I feel like Dorsey has a ton of offers out and that they are looking to make more. Inflated class size for this summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard post-CB from Gray Plant? It's been almost three weeks since mine, and no word

Sorry, what does HTH mean? Did they get offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not that offers = spots, but I feel like Dorsey has a ton of offers out and that they are looking to make more. Inflated class size for this summer?

I understand that Dorsey's class will be near 20 this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 am

Fredrikson told me I'm on hold while they wait to hear from two outstanding offers
Briggs ding post CB in the mail yesterday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not that offers = spots, but I feel like Dorsey has a ton of offers out and that they are looking to make more. Inflated class size for this summer?

from where do you understand this? i heard a number in the middle to higher 20s from a person who would know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

HTH = hope this helps. And yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

from where do you understand this? i heard a number in the middle to higher 20s from a person who would know.

Someone at the firm who would know. Of course it's not any exact science, but I think they do have a target.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

HTH = hope this helps. And yes.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:53 am

anyone have an idea of bonus/salary progression at the bigger TC firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:34 pm

http://www.infirmation.com/shared/searc ... inneapolis

This info is old (based on the 120k scale...except for maybe Briggs) and self reported but it may shed some light on the comp scales.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Hopefully comp will go back up to 120!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.infirmation.com/shared/search/payscale-compare.tcl?city=Minneapolis

This info is old (based on the 120k scale...except for maybe Briggs) and self reported but it may shed some light on the comp scales.

Am I the only one thinking that these payscales are pathetic? A first-year associate in Chicago, New York, DC, or Texas makes more than a 7th year associate in Minneapolis.

This is the big reason I, a MN native, won't be returning to MN anytime soon. Are the partners just that selfish?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:44 pm

What's up with St. Cloud? I'm thinking about applying for a job there but I noticed its michelle Bachmann's district

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm

It's a buyers market. There are always going to be people from the U and lesser schools willing to work for MPS market. Where it hurts is in attracting talent from better, less regional schools--people with options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.infirmation.com/shared/search/payscale-compare.tcl?city=Minneapolis

TIL I should have gotten an engineering degree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Am I the only one thinking that these payscales are pathetic? A first-year associate in Chicago, New York, DC, or Texas makes more than a 7th year associate in Minneapolis.

This is the big reason I, a MN native, won't be returning to MN anytime soon. Are the partners just that selfish?

WHat are you talking about? This has nothing to do with partner greed, which I would imagine is fairly uniform across the board in any and all US cities. Minneapolis firms can get away with paying associates less, I would guess for 2 main reasons: 1) the cost of living is so much lower than in most coastal cities that the QOL at this salary is still pretty nice and 2) there are so many frickin law schools in Minneapolis that firms here will have no problem finding a bajillion SAs to work for this amount of money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WHat are you talking about? This has nothing to do with partner greed, which I would imagine is fairly uniform across the board in any and all US cities. Minneapolis firms can get away with paying associates less, I would guess for 2 main reasons: 1) the cost of living is so much lower than in most coastal cities that the QOL at this salary is still pretty nice and 2) there are so many frickin law schools in Minneapolis that firms here will have no problem finding a bajillion SAs to work for this amount of money.

1) Cost of living isn't THAT low. Texas has lower COL, where starting associates make 160k.

2) Every market has more than enough law students. New York doesn't pay 160k because law students are so scarce.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1) Cost of living isn't THAT low. Texas has lower COL, where starting associates make 160k.

2) Every market has more than enough law students. New York doesn't pay 160k because law students are so scarce.

im sure it has to do something with minneapolis firms clientele. i assume the big shops there can't get away with charging their clients the same as the major markets can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:25 pm

dreakol wrote:im sure it has to do something with minneapolis firms clientele. i assume the big shops there can't get away with charging their clients the same as the major markets can.

This. Partners at some of the bigger firms in town tell me that they sell themselves to clients as *discount* firms, relative to NY/Chi/Etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dreakol wrote:im sure it has to do something with minneapolis firms clientele. i assume the big shops there can't get away with charging their clients the same as the major markets can.

This. Partners at some of the bigger firms in town tell me that they sell themselves to clients as *discount* firms, relative to NY/Chi/Etc.

I think a LARGE reason for the salary difference is the billable hours. Most Minneapolis firms are 1800ish. Chicago, New York, and others are at LEAST 2000 if not 2200+. You work more, you get paid more

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 pm

I work downtown in the IDS center. While I was in the elevator, two attorneys from Lindquist got in elevator and the one asked, "How does it feel to be done with recruiting?" The response: grumbles. First Attorney follows up, "Market is kinda weird these days, isn't it? Can only take a few. But, it is better this way." The response: more grumbles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I work downtown in the IDS center. While I was in the elevator, two attorneys from Lindquist got in elevator and the one asked, "How does it feel to be done with recruiting?" The response: grumbles. First Attorney follows up, "Market is kinda weird these days, isn't it? Can only take a few. But, it is better this way." The response: more grumbles.

maybe if they didn't no offer people they would have fewer grumbles about recruiting

Return to “Legal Employment”