Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adammac17
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby adammac17 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 pm

I dont want to sound stupid at OCI when I get this question. Obviously if a firm is lit or finance heavy its easy, but what do you look for to talk about on a firm that is very balanced btw lit/l&e/corp etc...?

Interesting cases? Pro bono work?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby thesealocust » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:28 pm

I not only never heard that question, I have never heard of it being asked.

It's not a quiz show. They'll ask you about yourself and answer questions about their firm. They don't want to hear about the firm from you.

Edit: Based on other replies, maybe it does come up. Weird.
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adammac17
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby adammac17 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Excellent - our CSO had a few Interview stream questions/mock interviews to try out and that was featured prominently.

Maybe a better way of phrasing the question would be how to answer "why do you want to work here" when its a general practice firm. What are good things to bring up?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:I not only never heard that question, I have never heard of it being asked.

It's not a quiz show. They'll ask you about yourself and answer questions about their firm. They don't want to hear about the firm from you.


I have been asked this exact question twice out of the six interviews I have had.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby slider » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:43 pm

I usually mention a fact or two about the firm. For example, "During my research, I learned that XYZ Firm is strong in litigation in ABC market." Then follow that up with a question "but I'm very interested in learning about DEF, could you tell me whether ___". I would normally have some current event that I would incorporate into my question that would engage the interviewer in conversation. The idea is to get a conversation going organically. Usually interviewers do not like to have to keep the conversation going in an interview. After several interviews, it becomes exhausting for them. With many firms, it really doesn't matter what you are talking about so much as whether you are able to keep a conversation going.

adammac17
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby adammac17 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks, thats more along the lines of what I was planning but Im worried it will sound forced if i just bring up "I know half of your attorneys work in this practice group - I saw this work was interesting...."

I feel like ill be fine talking about myself and why Id be good for a firm but alot of the firms Im interviewing with are starting to blend together.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 pm

I normally go with "why did you want to work here?"

adammac17
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby adammac17 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:I normally go with "why did you want to work here?"


Seriously? I know getting them to talk about their reason for choosing that firm - especially if they lateraled over but is that how you worded it?

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby shock259 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 pm

18 screeners so far, never been asked it. It seems to me that this questions sort of blends into "why do you want to work for this firm?"

If I got asked OP's question, I'd probably just answer it like "why this firm."

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:02 pm

adammac17 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I normally go with "why did you want to work here?"


Seriously? I know getting them to talk about their reason for choosing that firm - especially if they lateraled over but is that how you worded it?

Something like "I know you're a litigator, and there are some other good litigation shops on town. Why did you choose to work at XYZ; what made it a good fit for you?"

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby thesealocust » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
adammac17 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I normally go with "why did you want to work here?"


Seriously? I know getting them to talk about their reason for choosing that firm - especially if they lateraled over but is that how you worded it?

Something like "I know you're a litigator, and there are some other good litigation shops on town. Why did you choose to work at XYZ; what made it a good fit for you?"


Maybe you read the OP wrong? The question in question is 'what do you know about this firm'?

It'd be a bit weird to respond by asking them why they work at the firm.

adammac17
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby adammac17 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:08 pm

[\quote]Maybe you read the OP wrong? The question in question is 'what do you know about this firm'?

It'd be a bit weird to respond by asking them why they work at the firm.[/quote]

Yeah, I think the question could kind of be used to 1) get you to show that you know/care about working for them specifically and 2) to set up "what more can I tell you to convince you about our firm"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Well, I was asked it once and started by stating the year the law firm was founded, and the guy gave a shocked look and stopped me, saying I had obviously done my homework and didn't need to go on (also got a positive response from the firm afterward). So that might be a solid place to start. I personally prepped an impressive answer to this question each time in case it came up. I think just being able to rap off the year it was founded, its primary practice areas, and a few other notable things should definitely impress anyone who asks this. The whole point is just to catch people who didn't do their homework on the firm.

I think it's pretty old school OCI advice and it maybe too late, but creating a 1-2 page memo about each firm you're interviewing with can definitely make those 20 minute breaks between interviews golden, and can really demonstrate interest in a firm when it comes to questions like these or time to ask your own questions. Interviewers consistently say one way to really impress them is show you did your homework.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:09 am

thesealocust wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
adammac17 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I normally go with "why did you want to work here?"


Seriously? I know getting them to talk about their reason for choosing that firm - especially if they lateraled over but is that how you worded it?

Something like "I know you're a litigator, and there are some other good litigation shops on town. Why did you choose to work at XYZ; what made it a good fit for you?"


Maybe you read the OP wrong? The question in question is 'what do you know about this firm'?

It'd be a bit weird to respond by asking them why they work at the firm.

Whoops misread. My b.

Skyblaze
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby Skyblaze » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:12 pm

I was probably asked some form of this question in about 6 or 7 out of 20 screeners. Usually it was phrased as "So why X firm." From their websites I usually tried to find something that distinguished the firm from others. Do they have a free market system for getting assignments? Do they have no debt? Do they have a strong mentorship program?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 am

Skyblaze wrote:I was probably asked some form of this question in about 6 or 7 out of 20 screeners. Usually it was phrased as "So why X firm."

I think this is a much different question and a far easier one to answer than the one OP is asking about.

Also, I agree with thesealocust... I don't think I've ever heard this question asked.

User avatar
Loose Seal
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby Loose Seal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:48 am

I've been impressed when interviewees know something about our cases or our clients. For example, "I heard you all were recently retained to work on __," and then some question related to that matter (about type of work, stage of the litigation, interest in subject, etc.).

adevotchka
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby adevotchka » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:46 pm

Loose Seal wrote:I've been impressed when interviewees know something about our cases or our clients. For example, "I heard you all were recently retained to work on __," and then some question related to that matter (about type of work, stage of the litigation, interest in subject, etc.).


What is a good source to find out this kind of super specific information?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Punching a firm's name into google's news search can be fruitful. The firm's bios of partners or attorneys you interview with can have news. Firm websites often have news clippings and/or press releases. And the biggest firms/biggest matters get mentioned in firm reviews in places like vault and the chambers guides.

User avatar
Loose Seal
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Good Answer for "What do you know about this firm"

Postby Loose Seal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:Punching a firm's name into google's news search can be fruitful. The firm's bios of partners or attorneys you interview with can have news. Firm websites often have news clippings and/or press releases. And the biggest firms/biggest matters get mentioned in firm reviews in places like vault and the chambers guides.


Right. You could also try google news searching a few of the partners in the practice areas that interest you. Also, if you know anybody who summered at the firm or who works there as an associate, that would be another good way to gauge the type of client matters that everyone is buzzing about or that are feeding the most mouths.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.