Richards Layton Callback Info

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Richards Layton Callback Info

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:00 am

Have a callback with them next next week. Earliest available slot I could get. Anybody have any insight as to what they are looking for (other than really wanting Delaware and their firm for good corporate advisory/incorporation law)? Anybody know what their CB to offer ratio is? I remember reading somewhere it being quite low. My stats are not great - 3.26 at Cornell, no journal. Not sure how I got my CB, but now I'm zealously gunning it because it's the only CB I have so far.

Anonymous User

Re: Richards Layton Callback Info

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:38 am

If you managed to reach the CB stage than assume they are willing to overlook your low GPA if you give them a reason too. At this stage they're trying to see if you'd fit in with their culture. I can't really speak to what they're looking for directly, but I worked at one of the other big DE firm thissummer, and all the DE firms are huge on ties/selling why you want to be in DE. I would try to work those reasons in at any opportunity. The three best reasons, all of which you should try to mention t some point:

1-DE's chancery court and corp lit. Mention that you're attracted to the sophisticated corporate work and by the DE chancery court's excellence in those matters, which tends to bring interesting/complex/challenging cases and clients that you see in few other markets.

2-the small DE bar and how it gives you an opportunity to get to know other DE lawyers well. This creates a collegial atmosphere and prevents the kind of adversarial tactics you see in larger markets (e.g., NYC). Having worked in DE for the summer I can say that this is 100% true.

3-Working in DE gives you the opportunity to work for high-profile clients and on interesting cases, but at a lower cost of living and with more opportunities to develop ata faster rate. Most of the big DE firms pay $145k. This coupled with an incredibly low CoL is one of the reasons why I picked it. Moreover, because cases are staffed more leanly here than they are in NYC, you have the opportunity to do things like take depositions, draft motions, etc. much earlier than you would at an NYC firm.

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:11 pm

It's just a standard callback--I think I interviewed with like six attorneys there, plus one of the senior paralegals. The paralegal questioned me on one of my bad grades (I got a B in contracts), so you need to be able to explain your bad grades, if any.

Also, I think it was when we went out to lunch (they took me to some restaurant in a hotel I think), they asked about LSAT scores. It was something like 'you go to a T-14, that is impressive, you must have done well on your lsat,' and then I told them my LSAT (170). You might get asked that (not sure), so hopefully your lsat doesn't suck (i'm sure it doesn't if you are at t-14).

Other than that, standard interview.

Also--the paralegal asked me about my work on the journal. So, if you are not on a journal, find a way to talk about your strong writing skills.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Any idea what their CB/Offer ratio is? I'm assuming it's low given that they do CBs into october.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:01 am

BUMP. Interested in this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 am

Any insights on the screener? Have one coming up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:07 am

I recommend against expressing an interest in "corp advisory." It's a small group and has been more popular in recent years with incoming associates than they can accommodate. Better to emphasize Corp Lit, General Lit or Bankruptcy, which have been busy and needed people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:24 am

memo2partner wrote:It's just a standard callback--I think I interviewed with like six attorneys there, plus one of the senior paralegals. The paralegal questioned me on one of my bad grades (I got a B in contracts), so you need to be able to explain your bad grades, if any.

Also, I think it was when we went out to lunch (they took me to some restaurant in a hotel I think), they asked about LSAT scores. It was something like 'you go to a T-14, that is impressive, you must have done well on your lsat,' and then I told them my LSAT (170). You might get asked that (not sure), so hopefully your lsat doesn't suck (i'm sure it doesn't if you are at t-14).

Other than that, standard interview.

Also--the paralegal asked me about my work on the journal. So, if you are not on a journal, find a way to talk about your strong writing skills.

That was NOTHING like my CB experience at RLF. No paralegal (that's odd, I've never even heard of RLF doing that), no questions about my grades, even my low ones, no LSAT talk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 am

Interesting... do they seem to care about journal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:08 pm

About how long after your screener did you hear back? Philly T2 here had my screener on Tuesday. Safe to say it was a ding at this point? Also does anyone know if they will at least be merciful and let those dinged know they've been dinged? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:46 pm

bump. how long after CBs did offers generally go out?

Return to “Legal Employment”