How do I explain lack of journal at OCI Interviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do I explain lack of journal at OCI Interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:20 am

I'm .02 away from top 25% at Fordham with 6 OCI screeners, no journal or moot court. I was out of college for one year before coming to law school.

I've heard from various sources that firms won't really ask me why I'm not on a journal, but I'm sure it will come up at in at least one interview...how the heck do I spin this? My reason for not being on a journal is stupid...I did the competition and finished everything, but for the first time ever in over a year, my scanner decided not to work an hour before it was due. So I got screwed and couldn't submit in time. Obviously I can't say this in an interview. I did try out for moot court, but there were 200+ competitors for like 30 slots.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

thesealocust

Re: How do I explain lack of journal at OCI Interviews?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:51 am

It probably won't come up. If it does, you're probably screwed? Journals are boring and everyone hates them. Lacking it on your resume might make you less sparkling on paper than other people, but only slightly.

If it does come up, nobody here can help without being you. Surely you do - or plan to do - SOMETHING related to the law for the next 2 years that isn't class. Talk about that instead.

Never let yourself be on the defensive. Don't come up with excuses, find affirmative things to talk about instead ("I wanted to focus on being the top pastry chef for our chapter of fed soc!").

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:31 am

thesealocust wrote:It probably won't come up. If it does, you're probably screwed? Journals are boring and everyone hates them. Lacking it on your resume might make you less sparkling on paper than other people, but only slightly.

If it does come up, nobody here can help without being you. Surely you do - or plan to do - SOMETHING related to the law for the next 2 years that isn't class. Talk about that instead.

Never let yourself be on the defensive. Don't come up with excuses, find affirmative things to talk about instead ("I wanted to focus on being the top pastry chef for our chapter of fed soc!").

Thanks. I'm a board member of an organization and also a TA. And then I'm also a member of various student organizations on campus, but that's about it. I also want to do a fall or spring internship and a clinic in the spring, so maybe I can spin it like that and say I wanted to have time for other things like that.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:It probably won't come up. If it does, you're probably screwed? Journals are boring and everyone hates them. Lacking it on your resume might make you less sparkling on paper than other people, but only slightly.

Thanks. I'm a board member of an organization and also a TA. And then I'm also a member of various student organizations on campus, but that's about it. I also want to do a fall or spring internship and a clinic in the spring, so maybe I can spin it like that and say I wanted to have time for other things like that.

Talk about being a TA and clinic and the fall internship. Those are pretty good.

Return to “Legal Employment”