Resume - Quality v. Quantity

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume - Quality v. Quantity

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:17 am

I have had 4 legal positions since starting law school (in order): a midlaw SA, a RA job (that I've had for a year), an externship at a gov't agency, and 2L law clerk job. I may either end up getting a part-time law clerk position to supplement my income or volunteer at a big name PI organization.

I BARELY have room on my resume for what I have now without losing detail.

If I get the paying gig, should I punt the RA job to "Activities" to make room, or should I make room for 5 jobs by cutting a bulletpoint on each job? (Alternatively, if I get the PI position, should I just put the PI position under a new "Pro Bono Activity" section, or call it a job and trim my current WE?)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

thesealocust

Re: Resume - Quality v. Quantity

Postby thesealocust » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:52 am

Probably cut bullet points. Most people skim resumes and nothing more.

At this stage, most of your experience is totally self-explanatory anyway. The bullets aren't adding much.

JJW

Postby JJW » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:20 am

To make more room, sometimes going from a 12 font size to an 11 or ever so slightly adjusting the margins could do the trick. Perhaps place your address on one line and/or phone and email on one line. Not everyone agrees, but it is either that or delete some of your info.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:39 am

Do you have work experience prior to school? Because I do, and I have several lines for that, plus 6 legal jobs, and I fit it all on there. You've got too much extra crap if you're having trouble fitting 4 legal jobs on there.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Last edited by NoleinNY on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:27 pm

thesealocust wrote:Probably cut bullet points. Most people skim resumes and nothing more.

At this stage, most of your experience is totally self-explanatory anyway. The bullets aren't adding much.

This.

eandy

Postby eandy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Don't use bullet points at all.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:00 pm

eandy wrote:Don't use bullet points at all.

If you really, really cant cut anything then switch from bullet points to paragraph format. In general, though, I would recommend bullet points as they help drive the conversation and give the interviewer an easy way to break it down and ask something other than "so tell me about your time at x"

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:21 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
eandy wrote:Don't use bullet points at all.

If you really, really cant cut anything then switch from bullet points to paragraph format. In general, though, I would recommend bullet points as they help drive the conversation and give the interviewer an easy way to break it down and ask something other than "so tell me about your time at x"

I used paragraphs (wanted to keep a couple relevant summer things from UG) so I coul save a couple lines and noticed no ill effects.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:55 pm

CLS tells us to use paragraphs instead of bullets. It helped me save a few lines and doesn't seem to have adversely affected me.

I also still have an undergrad supervisor job on my resume but no one has ever asked about it. I'm pretty sure they just skim over the first 1-2 jobs unless something really catches their eye.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 am

I'm in the same boat. I had three internships in college, and another four jobs after college, all quite substantive. I had to cut things like an interest or special skills section. I think I used size 11 font and Garamond (which saves a lot of room). I also had to summarize just the key things, like "Published an original research work on X" or "researched wrote memoranda on X, Y, and Z topics."

Return to “Legal Employment”