What type of alcoholic drink for a callback dinner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
barestin

Re: What type of alcoholic drink for a callback dinner?

Postby barestin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Haymarket wrote:The obvious response is to just wait and see what the others order and copy them. That is by far the safest. If you're not desperate for a job, get something awesome as long as you don't break the bank.

Wouldn't you order a (Diet) Virgin Cuba Libre?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:31 pm

This thread is so incredibly stupid. People actually worry about bullshit like this? Who cares if a drink is "manly and mature." Drink what you want to drink. If you want wine, drink wine. If you feel like a quick boost, grab a redbull vodka...no one will give a fuck either way.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:44 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Old fashioned with no cherry. It's a bourbon based cocktail and you can, but don't need to, choose your whiskey by name. Works pretty much all over the country, no one will judge you negatively anywhere, works in the south because its bourbon, sophisticated enough for northern markets as a cocktail that is not too fancy. It's served on ice so that will slowly water it down if you want to drink it slowly. Also, be sure not to drink it through the little straw/stirring stick (I only say because i've seen people do it, sure fire way to look like an idiot).

If you have to coach someone on getting an old fashioned, it'll probably knock them on their ass. If it doesn't, the sour face they make when all that liquor hits their tongue will certainly betray the fact that it is their first time ever drinking one...

What's worse, drinking a beer or wine you like or looking like a poser and having to choke down a drink you don't?

Honestly, I have to think that the only reason anyone would ever care about this stuff is because people from TLS graduate law school and become attorneys...it's like a self perpetuating douche cycle.

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Is a Dos Equis prestigious enough to order at a v20 NYC callback dinner without looking too uncultured? Will shy away from the domestic brews. If not, I'll go Stella.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:16 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:Is a Dos Equis prestigious enough to order at a v20 NYC callback dinner without looking too uncultured? Will shy away from the domestic brews. If not, I'll go Stella.

At the type of restaurant an NYC V20 will take you to, ordering any beer will be on the side of "uncultured." The type of beer won't make a difference, (also they probably won't have bud light or the equivalent on the menu anyways). Just order what you want and don't make a big deal about it. If you are really worried just order wine and suck it up even if you don't like wine... Worst case scenario is you drink your drink slowly.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:This thread is so incredibly stupid. People actually worry about bullshit like this? Who cares if a drink is "manly and mature." Drink what you want to drink. If you want wine, drink wine. If you feel like a quick boost, grab a redbull vodka...no one will give a fuck either way.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:50 pm

taxnstuff wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:This thread is so incredibly stupid. People actually worry about bullshit like this? Who cares if a drink is "manly and mature." Drink what you want to drink. If you want wine, drink wine. If you feel like a quick boost, grab a redbull vodka...no one will give a fuck either way.

While I agree with this sentiment generally, can't we all agree that ordering a vodka redbull is a bad idea?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:53 pm

5ky wrote:
taxnstuff wrote:

While I agree with this sentiment generally, can't we all agree that ordering a vodka redbull is a bad idea?

Well that depends, sometimes you need a pick-me-up. But yes, in general redbull vodka=let's get fucked up. Redbull Jaeger on the other hand oozes class and that think outside the box mentality that big firms are looking for.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:54 pm

taxnstuff wrote:

No. Not TCR. TCR is use social cues and put aside your assburgers for an hour. Don't order a redbull vodka if the situation doesn't call for it.

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Can we please confirm if ordering a Heinekin/ Dos Equis/ Stella is not socially inappropriate at a V20. I just hate wine/liquor but love beer, bros. Will not get the Coors/Bud as per the advice ITT.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:59 pm

What's with this hoity-toity nonsense? I guess I understand being a little self conscious about your drink selection at a CB dinner, but I hope you guys don't order that crap when you go out with friends. Honestly, my favorite alcoholic drink is a Miller Lite, but I'm just a simple man. Of course, I also typically drink to have fun, not to show people how sophisticated I am or what a refined palate I have.

tldr; Your drink order doesn't impress me, if you go with something too expensive/exotic, I'm going to think you're trying too hard.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:00 pm

"I'd like a Jagerbomb, please. Ooh, or actually, do you have anything that comes in a test tube?"

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:02 pm

TheOP wrote:
flcath wrote:

"I'd like a Jagarbomb, please. Ooh, or actually, do you have anything that comes in a test tube?"

"No thanks, I'm still tripping balls off that acid I dropped in the cab"
Last edited by Ruxin1 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Betharl wrote:What's with this hoity-toity nonsense? I guess I understand being a little self conscious about your drink selection at a CB dinner, but I hope you guys don't order that crap when you go out with friends. Honestly, my favorite alcoholic drink is a Miller Lite, but I'm just a simple man. Of course, I also typically drink to have fun, not to show people how sophisticated I am or what a refined palate I have.

tldr; Your drink order doesn't impress me, if you go with something too expensive/exotic, I'm going to think you're trying too hard.

Clearly this thread isn't "Why type of alcoholic drink for a night out with friends?" I have a feeling that most of the people here wouldn't order the same thing during a CB dinner that they would going out with friends, but they're also not out to impress you, they're out to fit in comfortably at a CB dinner.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:03 pm

2014utLaw wrote:As a gay guy, I really only have two options:

1) Overcompensate: try to appear more masculine by drinking whiskey even though I hate it
2) Make sure my drink comes with brightly-colored accoutrement, like a flower or pink umbrella.

As a gay man, you can still learn to love whiskey. Trust me on that.

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:04 pm

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:05 pm

2014utLaw wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

1) Overcompensate: try to appear more masculine by drinking whiskey even though I hate it
2) Make sure my drink comes with brightly-colored accoutrement, like a flower or pink umbrella.

They said the same thing about vagina, but that didn't take.

Whiskey > vagina IMHO, but I may be biased

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:06 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:Can we please confirm if ordering a Heinekin/ Dos Equis/ Stella is not socially inappropriate at a V20. I just hate wine/liquor but love beer, bros. Will not get the Coors/Bud as per the advice ITT.

It's not okay at a V20, but okay at a V21-100.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm

moonman157 wrote:
2014utLaw wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

They said the same thing about vagina, but that didn't take.

Whiskey > vagina IMHO, but I may be biased

Don't listen to him, utLaw. Whiskey is a means to an end for getting vagina.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:10 pm

...or realize that firms want to hire LGBT people and that being gay isn't a bad thing...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Any sort of price range we should be sticking to when ordering drinks? (Scotch in particular?) Or just see what kind of drinks others are ordering and go from there?

edit:

Also, girls ordering scotch neat... too "weird"? I genuinely enjoy scotch, but always get remarks from people that I "drink like a dude"

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:18 pm

lol tls.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any sort of price range we should be sticking to when ordering drinks? (Scotch in particular?) Or just see what kind of drinks others are ordering and go from there?

edit:

Also, girls ordering scotch neat... too "weird"? I genuinely enjoy scotch, but always get remarks from people that I "drink like a dude"

Always use social cues. Come the fuck on.

Return to “Legal Employment”