What type of alcoholic drink for a callback dinner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
homestyle28

Re: What type of alcoholic drink for a callback dinner?

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:07 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm planning to choose based on what those before me order, obviously, but if I'm first, may God help me. I was thinking jack and coke would be safe, but then say I order that and the three partners with me all order wines by name. But if I order wine, and they all get vodka mixers or some shit...fml, no offer inc.

What's a safe, manly, mature drink to order?

whiskey Lagavulin, neat.

+1

Lagavulin tastes like scorched earth, which is fine if that's what you like. If you're new to scotch go Oban.

lawschoofoo

Postby lawschoofoo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:47 am

chasgoose wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ordering no drink means you are boring and categorized as "smart" but likely to be unable to associate with clients.

Ordering a jack and coke means you are unsophisticated.

Ordering a goldschlager on the rocks means you're an idiot.

Stick with wine or beer. Wine - can't go wrong with a Pinot Noir - it goes with everything. Just don't order White Zin or anything Rose.

Pinot Noir just shows that you saw Sideways and think you know something about wine. Also 95% of pinots from CA are garbage fruit bombs designed for people who don't know any better. I'd rather have a North Fork Merlot than a CA pinot any day. Ordering a decent rose (and if you are out to dinner with a law firm the rose is going to be decent/white zin isn't going to be an option) is legit.

I still don't agree. I've never heard "I'll have a glass of the julio gallo rose" sound sophisticated. But hey, it's your career, not mine

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 am

Would I be looked down on for ordering a DOMESTIC beer?

Hate the taste of wine and hard alcohol, and when it comes to brews I would legit prefer a Coors/Bud Light over some of the other darker/fancier beers. I'm guessing no one really cares, but just wanted to confirm with TLS. Heineken isn't bad. Maybe I'll go with that.

ShitLawOrBust

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:00 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:Would I be looked down on for ordering a DOMESTIC beer?

Hate the taste of wine and hard alcohol, and when it comes to brews I would legit prefer a Coors/Bud Light over some of the other darker/fancier beers. I'm guessing no one really cares, but just wanted to confirm with TLS. Heineken isn't bad. Maybe I'll go with that.

Ordering a coors/bud light at dinner with attorneys would be TTT, imo

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:14 pm

QFHaving terrible taste.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:24 pm

LeDique wrote:

QFHaving terrible taste.

I think if you were at a banquet or Old Country Buffet you could get away with ordering a Coors original. After all, it is the Banquet Beer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Wait for the others. If you cannot a beer is always a safe choice. Wine seems okay too. Depending on the restaurant the attorneys will either a) order fancy mixed drinks from the menu or b) order a bottle of wine for the table. I can't really see much else occurring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 pm

ShitLawOrBust wrote:

Just order like a Stella, or blue moon or something along those lines if you're worried about the perception of coors/bud etc.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ShitLawOrBust wrote:

Just order like a Stella, or blue moon or something along those lines if you're worried about the perception of coors/bud etc.

Stella and Blue Moon are overpriced crap.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ShitLawOrBust wrote:

Stella and Blue Moon are overpriced crap.

They taste similar enough to coors/bud and he won't h e to worry about the negative perception of bud. I really doubt drinking a Stella/blue moon at a firms dinner is going to put his offer in jeopardy. The things some people worry about...

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They taste similar enough to coors/bud and he won't h e to worry about the negative perception of bud. I really doubt drinking a Stella/blue moon at a firms dinner is going to put his offer in jeopardy. The things some people worry about...

Why is this anon?

jessedvhs

Postby jessedvhs » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:40 pm

wuduhel wrote:
LeDique wrote:

QFHaving terrible taste.

I think if you were at a banquet or Old Country Buffet you could get away with ordering a Coors original. After all, it is the Banquet Beer.

Banquet is good but nothing speaks class like "The Champagne of Beers."

jessedvhs

Postby jessedvhs » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Ya know dilemmas like this always make me think of this: http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/memqnj/chappelle-s-show-samuel-l--jackson-beer "They ate me, a F-in' shark ate me!"

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Stella is credited.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They taste similar enough to coors/bud and he won't h e to worry about the negative perception of bud. I really doubt drinking a Stella/blue moon at a firms dinner is going to put his offer in jeopardy. The things some people worry about...

Just get the Bud. It doesn't have a negative perception.

target

Postby target » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Lagavulin tastes like scorched earth, which is fine if that's what you like. If you're new to scotch go Oban.

Or Glenlivet. It's easy to drink and moderately priced.

If you are going the wine route, learn a little bit about wine and couple your drink order with your food. Also, anything from Napa Valley is good but not too expensive.

ETA: Sam Adams is also a good beer choice.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:06 pm

I wasn't nervous about what I was going to drink tomorrow night until now. Thanks guys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:32 pm

It's the usual TLS overanaytical bullshit.

Just don't order something that's too expensive or will get you drunk. I ordered coors at every dinner. Yes, it got comments, but more in jest. No one cares if you order shitty drinks so long as you own it.

FYI got offers from all those places. No one will ding you for ordering a shitty drink. In fact, you are far more likely to be outed for being affected by ordering a nice scotch (if you never really drink scotch). I spot those guys in a second.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:36 pm

moonman157 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Avoid: drinks designed to mask alcoholism (long island iced tea, martini, etc.),

Shit am I an alcoholic?

My thoughts on seeing long island iced tea listed

Yeah, and minus one for listing the martini.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Old fashioned with no cherry. It's a bourbon based cocktail and you can, but don't need to, choose your whiskey by name. Works pretty much all over the country, no one will judge you negatively anywhere, works in the south because its bourbon, sophisticated enough for northern markets as a cocktail that is not too fancy. It's served on ice so that will slowly water it down if you want to drink it slowly. Also, be sure not to drink it through the little straw/stirring stick (I only say because i've seen people do it, sure fire way to look like an idiot).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:10 pm

target wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Lagavulin tastes like scorched earth, which is fine if that's what you like. If you're new to scotch go Oban.

Or Glenlivet. It's easy to drink and moderately priced.

Beginner scotch.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just don't order something that's too expensive or will get you drunk.

I have heard of/have been on a CBs where you may imbibe fairly heavily (if not get wasted). Use you judgment obviously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just don't order something that's too expensive or will get you drunk.

I have heard of/have been on a CBs where you may imbibe fairly heavily (if not get wasted). Use you judgment obviously.

Yes. Obviously if the attorney buys a round of shots, go for it.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FYI got offers from all those places. No one will ding you for ordering a shitty drink. In fact, you are far more likely to be outed for being affected by ordering a nice scotch (if you never really drink scotch). I spot those guys in a second.

This is credited. If you order scotch and there's a scotch aficionado at the table, there's a risk of them wanting to talk about scotch, thinking they're being friendly. If you don't know what you're talking about I can think of a bunch of ways this could leave a negative impression.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:23 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FYI got offers from all those places. No one will ding you for ordering a shitty drink. In fact, you are far more likely to be outed for being affected by ordering a nice scotch (if you never really drink scotch). I spot those guys in a second.

This is credited. If you order scotch and there's a scotch aficionado at the table, there's a risk of them wanting to talk about scotch, thinking they're being friendly. If you don't know what you're talking about I can think of a bunch of ways this could leave a negative impression.

I don't need to even talk to the person to know that it's the scotch drinking him rather than the other way around.

Return to “Legal Employment”