What type of alcoholic drink for a callback dinner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYC2014

Bronze

What type of alcoholic drink for a callback dinner?

Post by NYC2014 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm planning to choose based on what those before me order, obviously, but if I'm first, may God help me. I was thinking jack and coke would be safe, but then say I order that and the three partners with me all order wines by name. But if I order wine, and they all get vodka mixers or some shit...fml, no offer inc.

What's a safe, manly, mature drink to order?

Icculus

Silver

Re: What type of alcoholic drink for a callback dinner?

Post by Icculus » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm planning to choose based on what those before me order, obviously, but if I'm first, may God help me. I was thinking jack and coke would be safe, but then say I order that and the three partners with me all order wines by name. But if I order wine, and they all get vodka mixers or some shit...fml, no offer inc.

whiskey, neat.

edit: I don't know how "safe" it is, but it is manly and mature.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:51 pm

None.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:53 pm

PBR.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm planning to choose based on what those before me order, obviously, but if I'm first, may God help me. I was thinking jack and coke would be safe, but then say I order that and the three partners with me all order wines by name. But if I order wine, and they all get vodka mixers or some shit...fml, no offer inc.

whiskey Lagavulin, neat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:13 pm

If you're a chick, wine is the way to go. Don't worry about ordering something sophisticated, just remember (1) order something you're sure you can pronounce correctly, (2) order something moderately priced, and (3) do not order White Zin, as this is grounds for not only rejection, but for immediate termination of the dinner.

If you're a dude, a beer or a jack & coke will be fine.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Cognac.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:11 pm

The obvious response is to just wait and see what the others order and copy them. That is by far the safest. If you're not desperate for a job, get something awesome as long as you don't break the bank.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:13 pm

flcath wrote:
If you're a dude, a beer or a jack & coke will be fine.
Is this a high school garage party? If you're not going to order straight liquor, get a real cocktail, not Mountain Dew and vodka.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:26 pm

I would never order a mixed drink on a first dinner with someone professionally. Wine, beer, or a whisky/scotch on the rocks. Rule is generally to keep pace with the other people drinking, but I would stay a round behind if you go with straight liquor.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:28 pm

paratactical wrote:I would never order a mixed drink on a first dinner with someone professionally. Wine, beer, or a whisky/scotch on the rocks. Rule is generally to keep pace with the other people drinking, but I would stay a round behind if you go with straight liquor.
Rum good? I love rum, haven't been able to get into whiskey or scotch yet

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:30 pm

chem wrote:
paratactical wrote:I would never order a mixed drink on a first dinner with someone professionally. Wine, beer, or a whisky/scotch on the rocks. Rule is generally to keep pace with the other people drinking, but I would stay a round behind if you go with straight liquor.
Are you a pirate or meeting on a beach?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 pm

goldshlagger on the rocks

maybe a jager bomb if it's skadden

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bernard97

New

Post by bernard97 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Manhattan

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:36 pm

chem wrote:
It's kind of a weird thing to order. I would want my conversation to stick out, not my drink order. But I'm speaking as someone who is a paralegal who managed a summer program and did lots of dinners there and I've been to a few interview dinners for a smaller firm. There was one SA who ordered fruity drinks at every dinner event (even when everyone else split a bottle of wine) and he got known as the "girl drink guy." As a paralegal, I often had dinners in uber professional settings where I just made sure I didn't order first. "Oh, um, I'm not sure, can you come back to me?" is okay to say.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Four Loko (Classic)

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:56 pm

LeDique wrote:None.
Unless you are not a drinker, no.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 pm

For the most part, protocol here is that you start by assuming there will be no drinking. There are only two ways this will change: First, a lawyer at the dinner might discuss ordering a bottle of wine or order a drink for themselves. At this point it's perfectly polite to either order your own drink or participate in the selection of a bottle of wine. It's likewise perfectly polite to decline to drink. Plenty of lawyers and law students are recovering alcoholics, abstain for religious reasons, have medical issues related to alcohol, etc. - it'll never be a sin to decline to join in.

Having said that, if they're drinking and you want to join in, by all means join in. Social lubrication in such a forced setting can go a long way if you watch your intake.

The second way it could come up is by a lawyer posing the question to the table - i.e. 'does anybody want wine?' instead of affirmatively starting a selection process or ordering a personal drink. It's probably best to politely decline, but feel free to feel it out. It's likely that the lawyers at the table will defer to you at that point. If they press you after a polite declination then by all means, drink if you want to.

Anyway, when it comes to specific drinks, I'd say there's an 80%+ chance that if drinking is going to happen, it's going to be wine by the bottle. Go with the flow, and don't try to one-man-army the wine list if you don't know what you're doing.

If it is individual drinks and not a bottle for the table, then I would -

Avoid: drinks designed to mask alcoholism (long island iced tea, martini, etc.), extremely fru-fru mixed drinks on the menu ("I'll have a skull-fucking screwdriver, on the rocks, with the glowing ice cube please!"), extremely expensive drinks ("The 200th anniversary grand marinier we saw in the display case when we walked in... actually could you make it a double?"), sparkling wine (I love it with dinner but that's probably a weird choice, and often not available by the glass for obvious reasons), shots (...duh), liquor neat or on the rocks (would seem a bit aggressive unless as an after dinner thing).

Recommend: Any soda+liquor mixed drink (rum & coke, jack & coke, jameson's & coke, scotch & ginger, vodka tonic, gin & tonic, etc.), a moderately priced wine available by the glass, a beer (depending on the restaurant, it might make a lot of sense).

lawschoofoo

New

Post by lawschoofoo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Ordering no drink means you are boring and categorized as "smart" but likely to be unable to associate with clients.

Ordering a jack and coke means you are unsophisticated.

Ordering a goldschlager on the rocks means you're an idiot.

Stick with wine or beer. Wine - can't go wrong with a Pinot Noir - it goes with everything. Just don't order White Zin or anything Rose.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:48 pm

kark n water

PaulKriske

Bronze

Post by PaulKriske » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I died just thinking about this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

whiskey Lagavulin, neat.
+1

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:46 am

PaulKriske wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I died just thinking about this.
I've never had this booze; it's always struck me as, idk, kitschy. Why is it bad to have on the rocks?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:48 am

It's a sticky sweet cinnamon scnapps. Would be sort of like slipping on a glass of hard cinammon candy.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:58 am

thesealocust wrote:It's a sticky sweet cinnamon scnapps. Would be sort of like slipping on a glass of hard cinammon candy.
I tried drinking it straight in a time of desperate need. Would not recommend. I then mixed the rest with coke in the hope it would taste better. It did not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”