Doing OCI just for fun

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:28 pm

I go to a lower t14. I have 20+ screeners coming up.

I have offers from lower paying markets. I think I am going to accept one of them. But I want to do OCI. I think interviewing is fun, and it is nice to meet new people.

Thoughts on this? Should I wait to accept the lower paying market offers until after I do OCI?

EDIT: I also would like to mess with a couple of the big firms during the screeners? Just turn the tables on them, ask them why they want students from my school? etc.

ShitLawOrBust
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a lower t14. I have 20+ screeners coming up.

I have offers from lower paying markets. I think I am going to accept one of them. But I want to do OCI. I think interviewing is fun, and it is nice to meet new people.

Thoughts on this? Should I wait to accept the lower paying market offers until after I do OCI?

EDIT: I also would like to mess with a couple of the big firms during the screeners? Just turn the tables on them, ask them why they want students from my school? etc.

flame. if not you're an asshole

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby dreakol » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a lower t14. I have 20+ screeners coming up.

I have offers from lower paying markets. I think I am going to accept one of them. But I want to do OCI. I think interviewing is fun, and it is nice to meet new people.

Thoughts on this? Should I wait to accept the lower paying market offers until after I do OCI?


if you are doing it to keep options open? you earned those spots and deserve to interview

if you are 100 percent sure you are taking one of the offers you have? free up some spots so hopefully one of your classmates without an offer/screener can get their foot in the door

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Calling it now: troll.

Even among law students this would mark someone as Prince Aspien.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a lower t14. I have 20+ screeners coming up.

I have offers from lower paying markets. I think I am going to accept one of them. But I want to do OCI. I think interviewing is fun, and it is nice to meet new people.

Thoughts on this? Should I wait to accept the lower paying market offers until after I do OCI?

EDIT: I also would like to mess with a couple of the big firms during the screeners? Just turn the tables on them, ask them why they want students from my school? etc.



yea that's a great idea. Take away interviews from your classmates... I'm sure they'll love that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:33 pm

OP here. Not a flame. I really enjoy interviewing. I am not 100% sure on accepting the lower paying markets. So I dont think this would make me an asshole.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby fatduck » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:33 pm

someone saw the "whites only" callback interview thread and thought they could be as funny




and they were WRONG

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Scumbag OP: gets job based mostly on reputation of his school; hurts that reputation by dicking with OCI interviewers for no reason.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Tanicius » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Calling it now: troll.

Even among law students this would mark someone as Prince Aspien.


Wanting to interview for fun just to meet people strikes me as a pretty decidedly un-Aspergers-type behavior, but yeah, it'd be a dick move of epic proportions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:37 pm

OP here. So I guess I won't have some fun during interviews. Thanks for that tip, I didn't think it'd be this big of a deal.

This is why I turn to TLS before making these decisions
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:38 pm

I know someone with a v5 offer before OCI started and she did OCI anyways just for fun.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Calling it now: troll.

Even among law students this would mark someone as Prince Aspien.


Wanting to interview for fun just to meet people strikes me as a pretty decidedly un-Aspergers-type behavior, but yeah, it'd be a dick move of epic proportions.

No, wasting both an interviewer's time and a spot that's potentially valuable for a classmate, just because you're under the laughable misperception that a 20 minute interview is a good way to meet new people, strikes me as an archetypical example of social retardation.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby fatduck » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:41 pm

just to clarify for future non-trolls who might read this thread, there is nothing wrong with doing OCI when you have an offer in hand, even if you are pretty sure you'll accept one

but: OP, in a hypothetical world where he is real, remains a douche

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Nothing douchy about doing OCI with an offer in hand. Maybe you'll be really surprised by a firm. Douchey to do OCI for reasons unrelated to getting a job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:01 pm

rayiner wrote:Nothing douchy about doing OCI with an offer in hand. Maybe you'll be really surprised by a firm. Douchey to do OCI for reasons unrelated to getting a job.


OP Here. Won't mess around. Will take it seriously. Do have an offer in hand, but I would still like a major market. Sorry TLS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Nothing douchy about doing OCI with an offer in hand. Maybe you'll be really surprised by a firm. Douchey to do OCI for reasons unrelated to getting a job.


OP Here. Won't mess around. Will take it seriously. Do have an offer in hand, but I would still like a major market. Sorry TLS.


Not to mention you're taking jobs from your peers for sheer poops and giggles. If I found out, I'd call your other firms directly and make sure they're aware of what youre doing.

--OCI interviewer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Nothing douchy about doing OCI with an offer in hand. Maybe you'll be really surprised by a firm. Douchey to do OCI for reasons unrelated to getting a job.


OP Here. Won't mess around. Will take it seriously. Do have an offer in hand, but I would still like a major market. Sorry TLS.


Not to mention you're taking jobs from your peers for sheer poops and giggles. If I found out, I'd call your other firms directly and make sure they're aware of what youre doing.

--OCI interviewer


OP Here. Just said I am seriously considering the markets I am interviewing with, and will not be messing around.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Nothing douchy about doing OCI with an offer in hand. Maybe you'll be really surprised by a firm. Douchey to do OCI for reasons unrelated to getting a job.


OP Here. Won't mess around. Will take it seriously. Do have an offer in hand, but I would still like a major market. Sorry TLS.


Not to mention you're taking jobs from your peers for sheer poops and giggles. If I found out, I'd call your other firms directly and make sure they're aware of what youre doing.

--OCI interviewer


OP Here. Just said I am seriously considering the markets I am interviewing with, and will not be messing around.


Weird, because its contrary to the first post in this thread and also because you seemingly changed a strong preference in a matter of minutes.

Or: you're full of shit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:14 pm

OP here.

Seeing the reaction on this thread. I definitely will not be doing what I initially thought would be fun. Sorry to get everyone worked up.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby fatduck » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Seeing the reaction on this thread. I definitely will not be doing what I initially thought would be fun. Sorry to get everyone worked up.

HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Seeing the reaction on this thread. I definitely will not be doing what I initially thought would be fun. Sorry to get everyone worked up.


Aka you will probably still do this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Different than OP. Mostly interested in other types of work than big law, but certainly wanted to keep options open and just see what happens. I didn't fight for open interview slots and only interviewed with firms in my gpa range, but now TLS made me feel bad. In my opinion going in with an offer is different than what I did, hopefully my classmates don't think I'm a douche.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:41 pm

It's not douchey to use OCI as a backstop for PI work. Everyone should do that. Again, what's douchey is taking away interview slots when your purpose is not furthering your career somehow.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Doing OCI just for fun

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:56 pm

I'll go one step further. If you are 100% certain you wouldn't take an offer, don't do OCI.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.