V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:21 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:What qualifies as "shitty attitude?" Any examples you can share?

When interviewers comment on grades, I usually try to say thanks and move on quickly to avoid pitfalls. I feel like it's really easy to come off as a Dbag to interviewers since they seem to expect "superstars" (as you call em) to have an inflated ego.

Don't be entitled, act like you're too good for us, act like any type of work is below you (I.e., I would rather write motions than deal with stupid doc review), ask about benefits (like salary), or act like you own the place.

Good things? Modesty, humility, graciousness, willingness to learn and do things since you will be at the bottom of the totem pole.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is your take on 3LS who are trying to switch cities?

I have a close friend who summered at a good firm and received an offer, but, due to personal reasons (getting married, parents getting ill etc.) and that s/he does NOT like the city where s/he summered, is trying to pick up a firm in NYC. Stats: CCN, tippy top of class, like top 2-3% 1L year.

I have heard that firms view 3Ls with some skepticism for fear that they received a cold offer and are terrible people or produce terrible work product. Would you suggest that s/he address that issue upfront by stating in the cover letter that s/he did receive an offer?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

This shouldn't be stated in a cover letter, as it probably won't be read. It's customary to put "offer extended" in your resume, so much so that lacking it is harmful.

Thank you! That is really helpful. I will relay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:What qualifies as "shitty attitude?" Any examples you can share?

When interviewers comment on grades, I usually try to say thanks and move on quickly to avoid pitfalls. I feel like it's really easy to come off as a Dbag to interviewers since they seem to expect "superstars" (as you call em) to have an inflated ego.

Don't be entitled, act like you're too good for us, act like any type of work is below you (I.e., I would rather write motions than deal with stupid doc review), ask about benefits (like salary), or act like you own the place.

Good things? Modesty, humility, graciousness, willingness to learn and do things since you will be at the bottom of the totem pole.

Any really good questions that people have asked you? Or some things that interviewers have done to impress? Specifically?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:27 pm

At what point does being a "non-traditional" student begin to hurt you?

I have eight years of professional work experience, with six and a half coming in corporate development and the remaining in investment banking. Am I at a disadvantage to my younger "peers" when it comes to employment chances, or does the amount of experience actually benefit my cause?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any really good questions that people have asked you? Or some things that interviewers have done to impress? Specifically?

Can't be too specific, but I like interesting people with interesting, diverse stories. I'm not the kind of person who wants to know what your college thesis was about. I will want to know why you worked in Thailand one summer and some thing cool that came out of it; or I'll want to know what it was like doing this really interesting non-boring job you had and something cool that came out of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At what point does being a "non-traditional" student begin to hurt you?

I have eight years of professional work experience, with six and a half coming in corporate development and the remaining in investment banking. Am I at a disadvantage to my younger "peers" when it comes to employment chances, or does the amount of experience actually benefit my cause?

No.

It becomes a problem when you begin to tell and teach me shit. I've had people older than me in interviews try to tell me how to do my job. We are equals in every other aspect, as we are human beings. But in a job interview, you're trying to get a job from me. Telling me that I'm wrong on the basis of your age and experience (even if I am wrong) will get you drop kicked out of the hotel room.

Doesn't mean that you can't criticize me or whatever. Just that you have to watch your tone. Can't stand that holier-than-thou tone.

Example: I make a deliberate generalization that I know has exceptions. Interviewee makes a pedantic point and corrects me about that generalization. That's not a normal conversation. It's one-upsmanship of the worst kind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Example:
I1: does x matter?
I2: in my opinion, it does and would influence my decision
I1: well I was talking to y luminary whom I knew in my previous job, and he said x is really just bulshit and doesn't matter to him

Had someone do that to me. Not sure what I should have said at that point. What he should have said if he had to say something:

I've heard other practicing attorneys say x is not really that important for them; possible your viewpoint is unique or is it pretty widespread? Is there just not any consensus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:48 pm

This shouldn't be stated in a cover letter, as it probably won't be read. It's customary to put "offer extended" in your resume, so much so that lacking it is harmful.

Really? Even for 1L Summer positions? I had a bunch of people at OCS look at my resume and none of them mentioned this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Example:
I1: does x matter?
I2: in my opinion, it does and would influence my decision
I1: well I was talking to y luminary whom I knew in my previous job, and he said x is really just bulshit and doesn't matter to him

Had someone do that to me. Not sure what I should have said at that point. What he should have said if he had to say something:

I've heard other practicing attorneys say x is not really that important for them; possible your viewpoint is unique or is it pretty widespread? Is there just not any consensus?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Really? Even for 1L Summer positions? I had a bunch of people at OCS look at my resume and none of them mentioned this.

Just in the context of 3L recruiting.

And also: 9 times out of 10 your OCD is worthless and sometimes even detrimental.

JJW

Postby JJW » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Suggestion for the OCI Interviewer. In the other Interviewer threads on TLS the interviewer uses a handle something other than anonymous, makes for easy tracking of what is going on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:57 pm

JJW wrote:Suggestion for the OCI Interviewer. In the other Interviewer threads on TLS the interviewer uses a handle something other than anonymous, makes for easy tracking of what is going on.

... I have other posts under this handle. Do you mean I should put something at the bottom of my posts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

And also: 9 times out of 10 your OCD is worthless and sometimes even detrimental.

Thanks. So there's nothing close to the same eyebrow raise that occurs if it was a 1L summer position. I can put offer extended on there but don't want to be the only 2L who has it , lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. So there's nothing close to the same eyebrow raise that occurs if it was a 1L summer position. I can put offer extended on there but don't want to be the only 2L who has it , lol

Umm... Who cares if youre the only 2L who has it?? Throw it on there.

JJW

Postby JJW » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JJW wrote:Suggestion for the OCI Interviewer. In the other Interviewer threads on TLS the interviewer uses a handle something other than anonymous, makes for easy tracking of what is going on.

... I have other posts under this handle. Do you mean I should put something at the bottom of my posts?

Good idea. It would help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:04 pm

How do you view transfers? Do you consider them even if you don't recruit from their previous school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Well in that case, I am now Alec Baldwin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you view transfers? Do you consider them even if you don't recruit from their previous school?

Yes, we consider them. I like transfers. Clearly you were smart enough to get into the school, now let's have an engaging conversation about yourself.

Alec baldwin

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Umm... Who cares if youre the only 2L who has it?? Throw it on there.
[/quote]

Good point... thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:08 pm

How much does an interviewee having public interest stuff on their resume (i.e. public interest or government 1L employer, some other public interest involvement at school) affect your decision to call them back? Do concerns fluctuate with grades i.e. more concerned if they are bottom 1/3 vs. less concerned if they are top 10%?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much does an interviewee having public interest stuff on their resume (i.e. public interest or government 1L employer, some other public interest involvement at school) affect your decision to call them back? Do concerns fluctuate with grades i.e. more concerned if they are bottom 1/3 vs. less concerned if they are top 10%?

Thanks in advance

Doesn't concern me at all. Getting a 1L SA is hard.

Alex Baldwin

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:22 pm

I got a B on my legal research and writing class, but higher grades on all over classes. Do you look at this and decide "this person can't write?" Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:25 pm

I accepted an offer from the firm where I did a 1L SA. It's for the first half of the summer and I am participating in my school's OCI to get a second half gig. A lot of firms say they take split summers on a case by case basis, but I'm not sure how frequent they allow second half only people. Should I e-mail the recruiter before the OCI interview, let the interviewer up front that I will not be able to work the first half at all, or wait until they ask? Basically I just don't want to waste their time nor mine.

Thank you for taking questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Do V10 interviewers ask different questions than non-V10 interviewers? The only reason I ask is that I have callbacks with Kirkland SF and Munger so far, and didn't know if I should be preparing for the callbacks differently. Is Kirkland SF going to be more intense because of the V10 status?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a B on my legal research and writing class, but higher grades on all over classes. Do you look at this and decide "this person can't write?" Thanks!

No.

Alec Baldwin

Return to “Legal Employment”