V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer from the firm where I did a 1L SA. It's for the first half of the summer and I am participating in my school's OCI to get a second half gig. A lot of firms say they take split summers on a case by case basis, but I'm not sure how frequent they allow second half only people. Should I e-mail the recruiter before the OCI interview, let the interviewer up front that I will not be able to work the first half at all, or wait until they ask? Basically I just don't want to waste their time nor mine.

Thank you for taking questions.
Don't know as I've never dealt with this before, but my intuition is that you should wait until after offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do V10 interviewers ask different questions than non-V10 interviewers? The only reason I ask is that I have callbacks with Kirkland SF and Munger so far, and didn't know if I should be preparing for the callbacks differently. Is Kirkland SF going to be more intense because of the V10 status?
This is a shitty and an obviously sarcastic post. There were reasons for including approximate rank of firm in the title, like posters (misleadingly) associate it with credib... Oh fuck it i dont have to justify myself. Go enjoy munger and thank god I don't have to work with you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:08 pm

What is a good way to deal with the "why city X?" question for someone who has zero ties/experience in that city?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is a good way to deal with the "why city X?" question for someone who has zero ties/experience in that city?
Don't interview for that city.

Unless its NYC or DC.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is a good way to deal with the "why city X?" question for someone who has zero ties/experience in that city?
Along those same lines - my long term gf is applying to some doctorate programs for next year. Is it enough of a "tie" to say "my gf is applying to university of city x and would be there for 4 years so Im hoping to find work in the city and settle down long term?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:38 pm

adammac17 wrote:
Along those same lines - my long term gf is applying to some doctorate programs for next year. Is it enough of a "tie" to say "my gf is applying to university of city x and would be there for 4 years so Im hoping to find work in the city and settle down long term?"
It's not a strong reason, but I guess it would work? I do NYC, so am not competent w these sorts of issues.

WhoMe?

New

Post by WhoMe? » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Naturally, I will "lust" after the superstars grade-wise
Do you find that the GPA superstars become truly better lawyers than, say, the top one-thirders or the middle-of-the-packers, once they've been hired and have spent a few years with the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:42 pm

WhoMe? wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Naturally, I will "lust" after the superstars grade-wise
Do you find that the GPA superstars become truly better lawyers than, say, the top one-thirders or the middle-of-the-packers, once they've been hired and have spent a few years with the firm?
No idea, because I really can't remember and never think about the academic credentials of my colleagues when I work with them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:48 pm

I've heard that the call back to offer ratio varies between firms, but I've also heard that there's generally a 50% chance of getting an offer out of a callback from OCI. Any thoughts on this? Can interviewees greatly improve their chances by scheduling their callbacks as early as possible?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard that the call back to offer ratio varies between firms, but I've also heard that there's generally a 50% chance of getting an offer out of a callback from OCI. Any thoughts on this? Can interviewees greatly improve their chances by scheduling their callbacks as early as possible?
Yes, you should view scheduling callbacks as rolling admission. Get that shit done ASAP because spots are filling up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've heard that the call back to offer ratio varies between firms, but I've also heard that there's generally a 50% chance of getting an offer out of a callback from OCI. Any thoughts on this? Can interviewees greatly improve their chances by scheduling their callbacks as early as possible?
Yes, you should view scheduling callbacks as rolling admission. Get that shit done ASAP because spots are filling up.
Sweet. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Do you guys actually waitlist people after the screener or at the screener stage is it usually all the cbs go out shortly and the rest is a rejection?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys actually waitlist people after the screener or at the screener stage is it usually all the cbs go out shortly and the rest is a rejection?
The latter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:45 pm

What are some questions that you absolutely hate?

Some that you love?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:51 pm

What would make you give a 3L a callback/recommend a full-time offer? Do you apply different standards when interviewing 3Ls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:17 pm

How much does journal (LR or secondary) experience value?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:19 pm

What's the Number 1 mistake interviewees make, at screeners? & at callbacks?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JJW wrote:Suggestion for the OCI Interviewer. In the other Interviewer threads on TLS the interviewer uses a handle something other than anonymous, makes for easy tracking of what is going on.
... I have other posts under this handle. Do you mean I should put something at the bottom of my posts?
You are providing a very valuable service. If you ask the mods for a second account to post on they just might give it to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:44 pm

I heard from my top picks later than others for callbacks and wasn't able to schedule them until the 5th or 6th earliest day. I am sorry if this seems like I am over-analyzing, but because everyone drills in this idea that callbacks must be scheduled ASAP, I just want to make sure I am not going to be shut out from my favorites. Also not doing any 2-in-1-day action as they all have lunch and I don't want to stress/exhaust myself when I need to be at my best.

This is a big market and big firms, FYI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Had a firm ask me who AND when my other callbacks were. I was flustered and didn't tell them all of them. Why do they need this information, anyway? It just made me nervous because I am most interested in their firm, but I have other callbacks and some are before my callback with them.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:08 pm

... sorry, didn't mean to answer, am not OP.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm only top 1/3 at a t25 but I landed a 100% preselect screener. I'm afraid I'm going to feel like I'm in way over my head. I know I need to impress the interviewer. I'm not sure if I have a specific question, just kinda freaked out because I didn't expect this. Any advice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Have to work tonight, but will respond in the morning. Thank you for your patience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 pm

What are some of the best answers you've heard for "Why [your firm]?" Is this just an opportunity for students to let you know they've read the Chambers profile, and can talk about practice areas/work distribution, or are there ways to stand out in answering this? Is it problematic if someone talks about the firm's reputation in transactional being appealing, even though that person may not have business/finance experience to explain why they'd be a good fit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:15 am

If asked why did you transfer would it be fine to say that you transferred because you thought new school offered you better opportunities and you wanted the challenge of competing with some of the best students in the country.

I try and weave in working with great people and tackling challenging work into any prestige whoring with why our firm answers so I'm curious if that would work in terms of a theme.

Or will I just come off as a douche?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”