V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:29 am

I know your NYC so this doesn't really apply but if I had weak ties and said that your firm was my number one choice for X reasons would this help?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:If asked why did you transfer would it be fine to say that you transferred because you thought new school offered you better opportunities and you wanted the challenge of competing with some of the best students in the country.

I try and weave in working with great people and tackling challenging work into any prestige whoring with why our firm answers so I'm curious if that would work in terms of a theme.

Or will I just come off as a douche?
I'm a transfer with a v10 offer after SA this past summer. I answered the "why transfer?" uniformly with saying that I loved my first school but after looking at career opportunities, I knew transferring was the right route to take and it was a move I had to make.

I think attys are business people and can respect making an intelligent career move. I'd leave off the stuff about wanting a challenge, etc. think it sounds a little arrogant. Be respectful of the opportunity the firm presents. Everybody respects humility.

Well aware it's just my opinion. Good luck, sounds like you should have a lot of opportunities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:47 am

thanks for the advice, hopefully ill have some solid opportunities but not a transfer to HYS FWIW

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:thanks for the advice, hopefully ill have some solid opportunities but not a transfer to HYS FWIW
Not sure if this is directed at my posted directly above yours that I'm quoting, but for FWIW I wasn't an HYS transfer either. Lower t-14.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll kill it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some questions that you absolutely hate?

Some that you love?
Questions I hate:
1) Do you like x? (where x refers to my area of practice).
2) What are [your firm's] strengths?
3) What is the average billable hours like (don't ask before offer given)?

Questions I like:
1) What does your day look like as an attorney in x practice group?
2) I heard about x program at your firm, but only have material that I saw on the website. Can you tell me more about it?
3) How does your firm staff cases/deals?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What would make you give a 3L a callback/recommend a full-time offer? Do you apply different standards when interviewing 3Ls?
At this point, if we were in a position to take 3Ls, I would be looking for 3Ls in specific practice groups. With that in mind, the 3L must have a demonstrated interest in that practice group. I don't really raise my standards, though. Grades should still be in the ballpark of what we're looking for, but I'm still looking for the intangibles.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much does journal (LR or secondary) experience value?
I'll notice LR, but nothing more. I don't care about secondary journals. Just resume filler as far as I'm concerned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Cade McNown wrote:What's the Number 1 mistake interviewees make, at screeners? & at callbacks?
The interview is a conversation. I don't want canned speeches, I don't want facades. I want to talk to the real you and have a solid conversation.

Also, when I ask you a question, answer the question. A lot of people don't realize how often they don't do that.

I realize you guys are nervous, but that'll ruin you. Just be yourself, wear a smile, and make eye contact. Be charismatic. The substance of your answers hinges on the intangibles of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard from my top picks later than others for callbacks and wasn't able to schedule them until the 5th or 6th earliest day. I am sorry if this seems like I am over-analyzing, but because everyone drills in this idea that callbacks must be scheduled ASAP, I just want to make sure I am not going to be shut out from my favorites. Also not doing any 2-in-1-day action as they all have lunch and I don't want to stress/exhaust myself when I need to be at my best.

This is a big market and big firms, FYI.
Suck it up and do two interviews in one day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a firm ask me who AND when my other callbacks were. I was flustered and didn't tell them all of them. Why do they need this information, anyway? It just made me nervous because I am most interested in their firm, but I have other callbacks and some are before my callback with them.
I don't see the issue in telling us. We're not insecure, but we'd just like to know. We're pretty well aware of the fact that you are looking at other firms and doing follow-up interviews with them. What does it matter that we know the specific firms?

It helps us because it gives us an idea as to who we're competing with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm only top 1/3 at a t25 but I landed a 100% preselect screener. I'm afraid I'm going to feel like I'm in way over my head. I know I need to impress the interviewer. I'm not sure if I have a specific question, just kinda freaked out because I didn't expect this. Any advice?
Just put your best foot forward. Goal isn't to impress an interview. Goal is just to be a human being that the interviewer can socialize with when they're working late. Your smarts are not in question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some of the best answers you've heard for "Why [your firm]?" Is this just an opportunity for students to let you know they've read the Chambers profile, and can talk about practice areas/work distribution, or are there ways to stand out in answering this? Is it problematic if someone talks about the firm's reputation in transactional being appealing, even though that person may not have business/finance experience to explain why they'd be a good fit?
1) Rattling off chambers and name dropping annoys me (though I definitely did that when I was at OCI and am working at the firm with whom I did that, so I'm probably in the minority about this). 99% of the time, you won't be working direectly with the partners you extoll. Also, they're just people... and people we work with and see on a daily basis. It just feels weird for someone to idolize someone that's just a normal guy, you know?

2) Why my firm? I want to hear something discussing our practice groups strengths and how that aligns with their interests; I want a coherent story about how my firm works in your future. I want to hear something discussing unique programs that we offer and how that fits in your future. I want to hear something unique about our culture and how that fits in with your personality.

It's simple, really. Just think of it this way:
1) This is my goal. Firm is good a tthis practice area. This will help me reach my goal, because...
2) This is my goal. Firm has x special program. This will help me reach my goal, because...
3) Firm seems to have this culture because of x,y,z. I'm an x,y,z kind of guy. For example, one time I did x,y,z. It just seems to click with me and I work best in environments I click it.

You can want to work in our corporate group without having a finance background. I really don't see the issue, frankly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If asked why did you transfer would it be fine to say that you transferred because you thought new school offered you better opportunities and you wanted the challenge of competing with some of the best students in the country.

I try and weave in working with great people and tackling challenging work into any prestige whoring with why our firm answers so I'm curious if that would work in terms of a theme.

That's a borderline douchey answer. Kind of implying that your former classmates were not the best students in the country? I get that in raw numbers, that might not be the case, but still a dick thing to say.

What's worse is that some of my colleagues went to T2 and T3 law schools. You're kind of insulting my colleagues when you say that.

I really don't think there's a harm about being candid about why you went from non-t14 to T14. You wanted the reputational advantage, which translates into better career opportunities. In fact, it gave you the opportunity to interview with our firm. I'm pretty sure most interviewers would sympathize with that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

At a T2/3 and landed several prestigious pre-selects. Not within top 20 ppl and firms only extend 2-3 callbacks out of 20 screeners. To what extent are these "courtesy" pre-selects?

Anonymous User

Anonymous User wrote:I know your NYC so this doesn't really apply but if I had weak ties and said that your firm was my number one choice for X reasons would this help?
No.

Anonymous User

I had a shit-ton of interviews (for NY) the last week, and I'm being pretty conservative with whom I bid on.
Grades-wise, I think I'm borderline for firms like Gibson Dunn, Davis Polk, K&E, etc. but I can't seem to buy a callback. My background is highly unconventional in terms of the various jobs I've had and my education compared to my peers.

My only callbacks were from a super safety, and the second firm I interviewed at, so I'm on a streak of like 20 with nothing. I find the conversations steady, no horror stories, some interesting give and take, and yet, they're not resulting in CBs. What other things I could change that are not immediately obvious could affect that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm a transfer with a v10 offer after SA this past summer. I answered the "why transfer?" uniformly with saying that I loved my first school but after looking at career opportunities, I knew transferring was the right route to take and it was a move I had to make.

I think attys are business people and can respect making an intelligent career move. I'd leave off the stuff about wanting a challenge, etc. think it sounds a little arrogant. Be respectful of the opportunity the firm presents. Everybody respects humility.

Well aware it's just my opinion. Good luck, sounds like you should have a lot of opportunities.
OP here. This is absolutely right.

Do not under any circumstance badmouth your school, classmates, etc. Ever. This is a lesson for life. DON'T BADMOUTH A PRIOR EMPLOYER, SCHOOL, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At a T2/3 and landed several prestigious pre-selects. Not within top 20 ppl and firms only extend 2-3 callbacks out of 20 screeners. To what extent are these "courtesy" pre-selects?
They're not. Firms saw something that they like and they selected you. Stop focusing on shit you can't control and just be your awesome self.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a shit-ton of interviews (for NY) the last week, and I'm being pretty conservative with whom I bid on.
Grades-wise, I think I'm borderline for firms like Gibson Dunn, Davis Polk, K&E, etc. but I can't seem to buy a callback. My background is highly unconventional in terms of the various jobs I've had and my education compared to my peers.

My only callbacks were from a super safety, and the second firm I interviewed at, so I'm on a streak of like 20 with nothing. I find the conversations steady, no horror stories, some interesting give and take, and yet, they're not resulting in CBs. What other things I could change that are not immediately obvious could affect that?
I can't possibly answer this question without having met you or interviewed you. I will say something below that could be affecting you (this will be in my next post).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At a T2/3 and landed several prestigious pre-selects. Not within top 20 ppl and firms only extend 2-3 callbacks out of 20 screeners. To what extent are these "courtesy" pre-selects?
They're not. Firms saw something that they like and they selected you. Stop focusing on shit you can't control and just be your awesome self.

I'm asking because i've been on most of them, had awesome interviews, had the partner/senior associate tell me that we will be in touch/its great to meet someone like me, and the callbacks went to top ranked students.

I have very substantive and impressive WE/solid grades and the interviews went very well. That leaves me wondering why no CB. Any other advice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Just as an FYI for everyone here:

I'm pretty sure getting a job this year will be harder than last year, and definitely the year before last, at least as far as my firm is concerned.

Summer class size will be the same, but demand to work here seems to be higher than ever. Culturally, seems like we're looking for people who meet our grade cutoffs, but also stand out. We have a set number of callbacks we aim to give, and you need to present a case for yourself so I can advocate for calling you back. I'm not going to stake my reputation on the line unless you give me a good reason to do so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm asking because i've been on most of them, had awesome interviews, had the partner/senior associate tell me that we will be in touch/its great to meet someone like me, and the callbacks went to top ranked students.

I have very substantive and impressive WE/solid grades and the interviews went very well. That leaves me wondering why no CB. Any other advice?
Firms are probably being grade snobs. Just keep plugging at it and casting a wide net. Nothing more else you can do. And as long as you're not straight up dinged at hte above firms, you're still in the running.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:14 pm

If you have finance background before, say, you interned for top investment banks, but you didn't get an offer, and how do you handle the question, "why you want law now?"

What is a good answer?
(Honestly, I see substantial similarity between the two.)
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sry, I asked this question before, but what is a good answer for why transactional/corporate? I'm interviewing with some firms that are pretty transactional heavy, and I want to be able to express a coherent interest in transactional work even though I don't have any real experience
I'm assuming you don't have a finance background. If you did, you'd be able to drum up some BS on your own.

For the non-finance people, you can have a number of reasons, and they don't have to be hugely compelling.
- took a business associations or equivalent course and are interested in that type of work
- interested in the pace of transactional work vs. litigation
- transactional is not adversarial. And you like that aspect
- there's a lot of cutting edge work to be done since transactional heavy firms tend to do more WSJ deals

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you have finance background before, say, you interned for top investment banks, but you didn't get an offer, and how do you handle the question, "why you want law now?"

What is a good answer?
(Honestly, I see substantial similarity between the two.)
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sry, I asked this question before, but what is a good answer for why transactional/corporate? I'm interviewing with some firms that are pretty transactional heavy, and I want to be able to express a coherent interest in transactional work even though I don't have any real experience
I'm assuming you don't have a finance background. If you did, you'd be able to drum up some BS on your own.

For the non-finance people, you can have a number of reasons, and they don't have to be hugely compelling.
- took a business associations or equivalent course and are interested in that type of work
- interested in the pace of transactional work vs. litigation
- transactional is not adversarial. And you like that aspect
- there's a lot of cutting edge work to be done since transactional heavy firms tend to do more WSJ deals
I will never, ever ask you whether you got an offer from your bank. In fact, most of my colleagues wouldn't.

I don't see how it's more difficult to answer "why law?" Finance isn't clearly superior as a work path to law, so it's not as if it's obvious you were no-offered and could have taken a better path.

A simple example of answer to this question:
While working at x bank, I gained exposure to a lot of cutting edge transactions. But as I engrossed myself in them, I became fascinated with the legal aspects of it: Negotiating tough points with the other side, allocating legal risk, (etc.). And after working on the legal side, I think that'll make me a good corporate lawyer because I can not only handle the legal aspects of the deal, but also understand the business aspects and advocate better for my client, frame my legal advice to a client with those business aspects in mind (etc.).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Are most cb interviewers on the hiring committee?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”