greatest weakness

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovesf

Re: greatest weakness

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:07 pm

MissLucky wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Mine is that I have a hard time balancing being really thorough in my writing and keeping it brief and concise. As a judicial extern this summer, I felt like I didn't want to leave out important issues and have it be overlooked because it could potentially affect the outcome of the case, so I included some issues that I later found out weren't that relevant. It's been difficult to get used to exactly how many aspects of a claim to discuss and in how much depth to treat each claim. This resulted in my drafts being too long and I needed to do significant edits. Then I said something about with each project I've done, I've tried to do an edit just asking myself if I really need to discuss the topic and to evaluate how it fits into the bigger picture. I have no idea if that is a good answer but it was honest and not something cliche.

I think that's a good one because most attorneys can relate to the process of fine tuning their legal writing skills early in their career. And its something that is great to recognize and I'm sure if your interviewer is a litigator they'll know the feeling, and maybe it will segue into a conversation about legal writing, being a young litigator learning the ropes, etc. At the same time, its not a fatal flaw or something that they'll have to completely train you on, which is good. I like it.

Like I said though, odds are you won't get asked this one.

I got asked what the most challenging part of my summer was. Not exactly a biggest weakness question, but I think they still wanted some sort of answer where you have to talk about how you overcame some sort of work obstacle. I also got asked "tell me about an experience where you got negative feedback on a project and what you did to improve."

interesting. when your responses to both questions are the same, how did you handle it? or did you try and think up another example?

They were different interviews but I gave the same answer.

romothesavior

Re: greatest weakness

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:19 pm

If asked this question, I wouldn't say "my biggest weakness is X," I would say "One thing I am working on is x." Sounds more positive. And you can adapt it to variations of the question like ilovesf did.

Return to “Legal Employment”