Callback travel expenses

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback travel expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:10 pm

I've set up 3 so far
First one sent me an email confirming date and attached the travel expenses policy

Second one sent me an email confirming date with only the travel agency. no mention about food/taxi costs. Should I assume that they will also reimburse me for those costs? Should I use the first firm's policy as a guideline? I dunno how to go about asking the recruiter about this either..

Third one set up date by phone and said will be in touch later with an email closer to the date. This one is a short train ride away. Ideally, I would like to arrive in the city the night before to get settled. Some upperclassmen have gotten hotels for this city in the past. Should I expect a hotel arrangement? Should I ask? What is the appropriate way to ask?

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Re: Callback travel expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:37 pm

I am wondering this as well. I have a callback in a nearby city. The travel agency initially tried to schedule a train that arrived 45 min before the interview. I asked if it was possible to arrive earlier and she said sure and changed it to the night before + hotel. However, she never mentioned food/taxi expenses. It's not a big deal to pay for these myself but I'm wondering how I might ask about this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:16 pm

If all 3 firms are on the same trip, use firm 1 as your host, follow their guidelines, and you'll be fine. NALP has an expense form that most firms use, and they'll reimburse virtually all reasonable expenses (transportation, hotels, Internet access, meals, etc)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If all 3 firms are on the same trip, use firm 1 as your host, follow their guidelines, and you'll be fine. NALP has an expense form that most firms use, and they'll reimburse virtually all reasonable expenses (transportation, hotels, Internet access, meals, etc)

they are all for different cities

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:31 pm

The general policy is for the firm to reimburse you for all reasonable travel expenses: travel, 1 night of lodging per callback when necessary, and reasonable meals while traveling.

If your firm is large and a member of NALP, you can safely assume that is their policy as well. Coordinate with the recruiter to determine the best way to make arrangements and submit a NALP reimbursement form afterward. Often you are given this form while at the callback. If not, you can either download it from the NALP website or get in touch with the firm and ask what to do.

If the firm is smaller and/or not NALP, there's a good chance they'll have a similar policy, but you'd be wise to ask.

Return to “Legal Employment”