2 Offers, How do I ask if they hired this year summers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2 Offers, How do I ask if they hired this year summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 am

I have two offers from a secondary market. One is on NALP and one is not.
Both had SA classes of about 4-5 this summer. How do I ask them if they made offers to their SAs? Or if they had room for them?
The one NALP firm doesn't list if SAs were considered for offers. I don't want to sound like jerk on the phone. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 2 Offers, How do I ask if they hired this year summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have two offers from a secondary market. One is on NALP and one is not.
Both had SA classes of about 4-5 this summer. How do I ask them if they made offers to their SAs? Or if they had room for them?
The one NALP firm doesn't list if SAs were considered for offers. I don't want to sound like jerk on the phone. Thanks!

Just like that. "how many of your last class were extended offers? How many accepted?"

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:58 pm

This isn't the type of question you'd ask on a CB, but it is absolutely 100% the type of question that it is ok to ask once you have an offer.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:32 pm

RPK34 wrote:This isn't the type of question you'd ask on a CB, but it is absolutely 100% the type of question that it is ok to ask once you have an offer.

Yeah this. This is a perfectly legitimate question to ask. I'd ask that question, and also ask what their philosophy regarding hiring SAs is. Some non-NALP firms are like big firms in that they truly want to make 100% offers, while other mid-sized or smallish firms employ a more "fight for the spots" mentality.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:10 am

I'm an interviewer for my firm. We usually offer up this information ourselves on callbacks, mostly because we've hired all our summers the past three years. We've had candidates ask before we offer it up and it's no big deal. Perfectly appropriate question, whether asked at OCI, callback or when offered.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 pm

I asked the hiring partner your question at one of the firms I had an offer from and it was fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”