Callback with No or Few Partners Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback with No or Few Partners

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 am

Are these callbacks just a formality. I had friends that went through OCI last year and said that they did not get offers to CBs that had one partner or less interviewing them. I just wanted to know everyone's take. I got a couple of CBs, and have yet to receive my interview schedule. I just wanted to know what I have to look forward to---or not.

Anonymous User

Re: Callback with No or Few Partners

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 am

Bump---interested.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are these callbacks just a formality. I had friends that went through OCI last year and said that they did not get offers to CBs that had one partner or less interviewing them. I just wanted to know everyone's take. I got a couple of CBs, and have yet to receive my interview schedule. I just wanted to know what I have to look forward to---or not.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it, because how many partners you interview with is more based on availability and how the firm structures the CB process rather than whether or not a CB is a "formality" (seriously, no firm is going to pay -- time and $$$ -- for a CB that is just a formality). At the firm I ended up at, I only had one interview with a partner.

Loose Seal

New

Post by Loose Seal » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 am

I can't speak for all firms, but I have a hard time imagining that any callback is just a "formality." Why would a firm waste resources on someone they know at the outset will not get an offer?

I think the number of partners on your schedule probably has more to do with their availability than with your desirability as a candidate (in general).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 am

Loose Seal wrote:I can't speak for all firms, but I have a hard time imagining that any callback is just a "formality." Why would a firm waste resources on someone they know at the outset will not get an offer?

I think the number of partners on your schedule probably has more to do with their availability than with your desirability as a candidate (in general).
Just wanted to add this (below) to the conversation. After a screener, the recruiter, at least for Sullivan and Cromwell, gives preferred applicants partner heavy Callbacks. May be just them, but since they are a top firm, I would not doubt other do the same.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/an-insid ... g-process/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loose Seal

New

Post by Loose Seal » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Loose Seal wrote:I can't speak for all firms, but I have a hard time imagining that any callback is just a "formality." Why would a firm waste resources on someone they know at the outset will not get an offer?

Just wanted to add this (below) to the conversation. After a screener, the recruiter, at least for Sullivan and Cromwell, gives preferred applicants partner heavy Callbacks. May be just them, but since they are a top firm, I would not doubt other do the same.

Yeah, my "(in general)" referred to this practice. I think some superstars may end up with partner-heavy callbacks, but I don't think it necessarily means anything if you don't have a lot of partners except that you may not be a superstar. Which few people are.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you miss this part of the speculation, which makes it pretty damn clear that instruction means nothing definitive?
Above The Law wrote:"Question: Which candidates should be given partner-heavy schedules? Maybe your top recruits, whom you want to impress through audiences with the likes of Rodge Cohen, Joseph Shenker, Vince DiBlasi, and Frank Aquila (who’s great to follow on Twitter, by the way). Or maybe your more marginal candidates, so you can have close partner review of, and active participation in, the final hiring decision."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”