Callback with No or Few Partners

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Callback with No or Few Partners

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 am

Are these callbacks just a formality. I had friends that went through OCI last year and said that they did not get offers to CBs that had one partner or less interviewing them. I just wanted to know everyone's take. I got a couple of CBs, and have yet to receive my interview schedule. I just wanted to know what I have to look forward to---or not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback with No or Few Partners

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 am

Bump---interested.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Callback with No or Few Partners

Postby keg411 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are these callbacks just a formality. I had friends that went through OCI last year and said that they did not get offers to CBs that had one partner or less interviewing them. I just wanted to know everyone's take. I got a couple of CBs, and have yet to receive my interview schedule. I just wanted to know what I have to look forward to---or not.


I honestly wouldn't worry about it, because how many partners you interview with is more based on availability and how the firm structures the CB process rather than whether or not a CB is a "formality" (seriously, no firm is going to pay -- time and $$$ -- for a CB that is just a formality). At the firm I ended up at, I only had one interview with a partner.

User avatar
Loose Seal
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Callback with No or Few Partners

Postby Loose Seal » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 am

I can't speak for all firms, but I have a hard time imagining that any callback is just a "formality." Why would a firm waste resources on someone they know at the outset will not get an offer?

I think the number of partners on your schedule probably has more to do with their availability than with your desirability as a candidate (in general).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback with No or Few Partners

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 am

Loose Seal wrote:I can't speak for all firms, but I have a hard time imagining that any callback is just a "formality." Why would a firm waste resources on someone they know at the outset will not get an offer?

I think the number of partners on your schedule probably has more to do with their availability than with your desirability as a candidate (in general).


Just wanted to add this (below) to the conversation. After a screener, the recruiter, at least for Sullivan and Cromwell, gives preferred applicants partner heavy Callbacks. May be just them, but since they are a top firm, I would not doubt other do the same.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/an-insid ... g-process/

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12527
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Callback with No or Few Partners

Postby jessuf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:44 pm

I did a lunch interview with four partners from the practice area I wanted, then my CB with about 6 associates. I didn't think anything of it as many of the litigation partners were out of town for a trial. Why would they invite you for a callback if they were interested in you?

User avatar
Loose Seal
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Callback with No or Few Partners

Postby Loose Seal » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Loose Seal wrote:I can't speak for all firms, but I have a hard time imagining that any callback is just a "formality." Why would a firm waste resources on someone they know at the outset will not get an offer?

I think the number of partners on your schedule probably has more to do with their availability than with your desirability as a candidate (in general).


Just wanted to add this (below) to the conversation. After a screener, the recruiter, at least for Sullivan and Cromwell, gives preferred applicants partner heavy Callbacks. May be just them, but since they are a top firm, I would not doubt other do the same.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/an-insid ... g-process/


Yeah, my "(in general)" referred to this practice. I think some superstars may end up with partner-heavy callbacks, but I don't think it necessarily means anything if you don't have a lot of partners except that you may not be a superstar. Which few people are.

User avatar
sambeber
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Callback with No or Few Partners

Postby sambeber » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Loose Seal wrote:I can't speak for all firms, but I have a hard time imagining that any callback is just a "formality." Why would a firm waste resources on someone they know at the outset will not get an offer?

I think the number of partners on your schedule probably has more to do with their availability than with your desirability as a candidate (in general).


Just wanted to add this (below) to the conversation. After a screener, the recruiter, at least for Sullivan and Cromwell, gives preferred applicants partner heavy Callbacks. May be just them, but since they are a top firm, I would not doubt other do the same.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/an-insid ... g-process/


Did you miss this part of the speculation, which makes it pretty damn clear that instruction means nothing definitive?

Above The Law wrote:"Question: Which candidates should be given partner-heavy schedules? Maybe your top recruits, whom you want to impress through audiences with the likes of Rodge Cohen, Joseph Shenker, Vince DiBlasi, and Frank Aquila (who’s great to follow on Twitter, by the way). Or maybe your more marginal candidates, so you can have close partner review of, and active participation in, the final hiring decision."




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.