Emory Law Early OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Emory Law Early OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:13 am

Not at Emory but an FYI regarding ATL summer associate positions. We were told to expect slightly better numbers than 2011 (last year we had complete consultant data):

NLJ 250 2L summer associate positions = 114
Amlaw 100 2L summer associate positions = 54

Explains the bloodbath.. ATL was my worst city during OCI and this is from a list of cities that includes DC.

As a point of comparison, Boston numbers:

NLJ 250 2L SA positions = 247
Amlaw 100 2LSA positions = 197

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Anyone interview with Schiff Hardin today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:16 am

I 100% regret my decision to attend Emory law. Love you guys but if I knew then what I knew now, I would never have come here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I 100% regret my decision to attend Emory law. Love you guys but if I knew then what I knew now, I would never have come here.

As much as it pains me to say it, since I really like a lot of my classmates/professors and the school in general, I have to agree. Even with a pretty good scholarship (and good 1L grades), every day I wish I had retaken the LSAT and gone to a higher ranked school. I have no doubt that Emory did pretty well when the economy was better and BigLaw hiring was booming, but Emory's reputation just doesn't cut it now, and career services' apathy towards making connections with anything but Atlanta big law in the past came back to bite all of us in the ass once the economy tanked. OCI was just pathetic this year, and CSO hasn't offered much since. Even without an offer for myself yet, I really feel for people who are paying full tuition and/or were unranked; it's just a slaughter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:19 am

Emory 3L here. Keep your head up. Its not as bad as it seems. Look to other markets. I was no-offered from my 2L firm (not in ATL) and I had to bust my ass to find something. There is more non-traditional hiring than in the past. I know of two other classmates of mine that got job offers in the past two weeks from big ATL firms.

Alums are great. After meeting with anyone who would speak to me, I recieved an offer from one of the Big 5 Atl firms. Seems like bashing Emory is popular here but the name does help you way more than other schools. The notion that UGA places better in Atl is a total myth.

For what its worth, I'd say most of my 3L classmates have jobs lined up at this point. Not the end of the world... yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 am

If you strike out or find yourself still looking for a job after 2L summer, my advice to you is to steer clear of OCS. I received an offer from an employer OCS told me would not look at my résumé because I did not summer there. There is hope out there, and things are looking a little better. Reach out to alumni - it's what I did.

Sinerecly,

an Emory 3L with an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:42 pm

OP here. Just wanted to tell everyone to keep your heads up. After 300+ applications, 35+ screeners, and several callbacks, I finally got an offer. It's not at a huge OCI firm, but it's a pretty good-sized firm and the people/pay/office are great. I know it seems hopeless at times but I know for a fact there a bunch of firms in Atlanta and elsewhere still looking to start their hiring in January-March, so just keep at it. Best of luck to everyone.

Return to “Legal Employment”