Recent SA taking Callback and OCI questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PlessFightsFire

New

Re: Recent SA taking Callback and OCI questions

Post by PlessFightsFire » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Your thread is annoying. Without school rank range, V firm range, market and a sense of your grades only questions that you can ask are super general and there are already great threads on.

If your gonna be anonymous give us that stuff, have you said or revealed a single thing that would be a problem if outed?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 pm

He's just here to talk about how awesome he is. That is the only purpose of this thread.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Does your shit smell better than mine?

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 pm

PlessFightsFire wrote:Your thread is annoying. Without school rank range, V firm range, market and a sense of your grades only questions that you can ask are super general and there are already great threads on.

If your gonna be anonymous give us that stuff, have you said or revealed a single thing that would be a problem if outed?
+1 this thread is useless

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:28 pm

PlessFightsFire wrote:Your thread is annoying. Without school rank range, V firm range, market and a sense of your grades only questions that you can ask are super general and there are already great threads on.

Oh great, another TLS prestige whore talking about if he's not top 10% at Yale his advice is worthless... Except his advice would be worthless if he was, because then he wouldn't know about getting offers from a challenging position. Another reason it's a dumb thread is that it's an anonymous poster who might be at the bottom of his class at Touro and which person with any dignity would want to take advice from such a troglodyte. But to make matters worse, he's threatening to crowd out all the dozens of other threads offering to take questions about OCI from people with better publicized numbers and more high quality prestige.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PlessFightsFire

New

Post by PlessFightsFire » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:36 pm

delusional wrote:

Oh great, another TLS prestige whore talking about if he's not top 10% at Yale his advice is worthless... Except his advice would be worthless if he was, because then he wouldn't know about getting offers from a challenging position. Another reason it's a dumb thread is that it's an anonymous poster who might be at the bottom of his class at Touro and which person with any dignity would want to take advice from such a troglodyte. But to make matters worse, he's threatening to crowd out all the dozens of other threads offering to take questions about OCI from people with better publicized numbers and more high quality prestige.
No.

It just allows you to evaluate how solid they are. I mean if he was top 5% at T20 and got offers from undesirable market, less prestigious firm his advice would be less interesting. If he was median at a Tier 1 and landed a V100 then I would want to know alot about his interview technique and what he did to set himself apart.

Not a prestige thing just a I kno the basic mechanics thing and I want to evaluate your credibility as a source.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 pm

delusional wrote:

Um... What?

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
delusional wrote:

Um... What?
i think there's some sarcasm in there, but i'm not sure, my assburgers is acting up today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 am

OP here... in the interest of keeping this from devolving into what most threads on this godforsaken site become, HERE:

1) Major Market T10-T20
2) Grades were above median, but barely.
3) No journal, non-URM, minimal work experience (1L summer intern at a PI org).
4) Had 6 callbacks and 4 offers from firms ranging from V100 to V10.

I made this thread to be helpful to those who were nervous about OCI or genuinely had questions. I guess you can't really avoid the heckling on this website, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here... in the interest of keeping this from devolving into what most threads on this godforsaken site become, HERE:

1) Major Market T10-T20

I made this thread to be helpful to those who were nervous about OCI or genuinely had questions. I guess you can't really avoid the heckling on this website, though.
UCLA?

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here... in the interest of keeping this from devolving into what most threads on this godforsaken site become, HERE:

1) Major Market T10-T20

This is not meaningful without height and weight information. Please provide, thanks.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:35 am

Master Tofu wrote:

1) Major Market T10-T20

This is not meaningful without height and weight information. Please provide, thanks.
and social security number.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:38 am

chimp wrote:

1) Major Market T10-T20

UCLA?
No.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:47 am

1) Major Market T10-T20

This is all very interesting, but how much do you squat? Let's quantify the progress in absolute terms we all understand, like pounds on a bar through full ROM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:51 am

thesealocust wrote:

1) Major Market T10-T20

This is all very interesting, but how much do you squat? Let's quantify the progress in absolute terms we all understand, like pounds on a bar through full ROM.
500, ATG

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:15 am

i don't know what more to talk about at a callback interview, to be honest.

i mean, during the screener, topics like the summer associate program, mentorship/training, firm culture and vibe, and the firm's outlook were already discussed. i guess i could ask the same questions or slightly more specific ones, but i don't see how i could have enough questions to carry a callback interview that lasts around 30 minutes or how the interviews all wouldn't be the same crap over and over.

also, during a callback interview, do the interviewers still ask you questions about your resume/standard interview questions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:40 am

My resume has changed (new duties at my job) since I turned it in through Simplicity for OCI. Do they look at the resume you provide them through simplicity, or at the one that you give them during the meeting?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kenji

New

Post by kenji » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:12 am

TLS tries to shit up another good thread. This fuckin site....

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:15 am

kenji wrote:TLS tries to shit up another good thread. This fuckin site....
hai OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:i don't know what more to talk about at a callback interview, to be honest.

i mean, during the screener, topics like the summer associate program, mentorship/training, firm culture and vibe, and the firm's outlook were already discussed. i guess i could ask the same questions or slightly more specific ones, but i don't see how i could have enough questions to carry a callback interview that lasts around 30 minutes or how the interviews all wouldn't be the same crap over and over.

also, during a callback interview, do the interviewers still ask you questions about your resume/standard interview questions?
*ANSWER*
Ideally you won't be spinning stock questions and answers on repeat for 5 or 6 thirty minute interviews. You should be finding a common ground or unique attribute about your interviewer. Maybe they are a scotch afficianado. Maybe they go to every Bears game. One of my interviewers was a prolific author. Finding these topics is always going to make the callback pass by quickly. It's hard to explain this one much better. You're either going to come across these topics naturally or not at all.

But, if your interviewer transitions to your resume or experience, you need to make the transition with them. The interviewer sets the tone. If they are going to shoot the breeze, then so are you. If they want to switch over to your summer at the ACLU, you need to show them that you can make the instant shift from more relaxed to serious.

In all things callback, you need to find your base level of professionalism and never dip below it. The worst horror stories I heard from last year's callbacks involved people getting too comfortable in the interviewer's office, then letting some stupid comment slip. Your interviewer needs to know that you won't embarrass them if they take you to dinner with a partner. Convince them of that.

And yes, callbacks often can play out a lot like a screener. some interviews are just going to suck. The interviewer will be playing by the book, and the half hour will drag on. In that situation, don't be afraid of your OCI stock answers and questions. The difference between the crappy callback and the crappy screener is that you'll have had much more time to research that firm in particular and the person interviewing you. Thus, filling the time shouldn't be any more of a challenge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:My resume has changed (new duties at my job) since I turned it in through Simplicity for OCI. Do they look at the resume you provide them through simplicity, or at the one that you give them during the meeting?
Describe the change. Is it positive or negative?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:My resume has changed (new duties at my job) since I turned it in through Simplicity for OCI. Do they look at the resume you provide them through simplicity, or at the one that you give them during the meeting?
*ANSWER*
Don't give the interviewer an updated resume. You're locked in with the initial resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:55 am

from your general observations during screeners/callbacks, were there noticable differences in personality/behavior/interview style between interviewers who practiced in corporate vs lit?

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:45 am

*QUESTION*
WHICH BEARS ARE BEST

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
*ANSWER*
Don't give the interviewer an updated resume. You're locked in with the initial resume.
If this is for CBs, I disagree. Email it to the recruiting staff, and ask that they provide that resume to your interviewers instead.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”