Screwed or not screwed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Screwed or not screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:37 pm

3.5 secondary from fordham, got only 10 interviews, which I am really disappointed about. Interviewing with Mayer, Kaye, stroock, snr Denton, Curtis mallet prevost, holland knight, Bryan cave, milbank, cadwalader, chadbourne. The only interviewing feedback I have is from my mock interviewer who said I did really well. What do you think my chances are of landing an offer? Btw yes I know this won't change anything and is relatively pointless, so no need to repeat that.

DrGuano

Re: Screwed or not screwed?

Postby DrGuano » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.5 secondary from fordham, got only 10 interviews, which I am really disappointed about. Interviewing with Mayer, Kaye, stroock, snr Denton, Curtis mallet prevost, holland knight, Bryan cave, milbank, cadwalader, chadbourne. The only interviewing feedback I have is from my mock interviewer who said I did really well. What do you think my chances are of landing an offer? Btw yes I know this won't change anything and is relatively pointless, so no need to repeat that.

You have 10 interviews. Why would you be screwed? That's 10 firms you have your foot in the door with, all primed and ready to go. No mass mailing, no awkward social events. You've got the interviews. Now you just need to show up and take care of business.

Breathe deep, and then kick ass.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.5 secondary from fordham, got only 10 interviews, which I am really disappointed about. Interviewing with Mayer, Kaye, stroock, snr Denton, Curtis mallet prevost, holland knight, Bryan cave, milbank, cadwalader, chadbourne. The only interviewing feedback I have is from my mock interviewer who said I did really well. What do you think my chances are of landing an offer? Btw yes I know this won't change anything and is relatively pointless, so no need to repeat that.

I mean 10 interviews is not too bad. Relax, you will be okay. I got 12 screeners (6 for school OCI and 6 for Diversity fair). Of the 6 I've already done, I have 3 CBs. Now, I don't know about offers yet, but don't be so pessimistic---IT WILL SHOW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 pm

What # rank were they for u on ur bid list? Do u think a lot were lottery or a lot of preselect?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Don't know, I have a 3.73+ at Cornell and have 2 CBs from 20+ Screeners lol

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't know, I have a 3.73+ at Cornell and have 2 CBs from 20+ Screeners lol

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you have an interviewing problem. I had comparable grades at Fordham and went 20/29.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't know, I have a 3.73+ at Cornell and have 2 CBs from 20+ Screeners lol

Welcome to the SPS interviewer club. If you haven't started mass mailing yet, you should start ASAP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:08 pm

keg411 wrote:

Welcome to the SPS interviewer club. If you haven't started mass mailing yet, you should start ASAP.

Done and silence. SPS interviewer--> dropout club here I come.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What # rank were they for u on ur bid list? Do u think a lot were lottery or a lot of preselect?

I'm interested in this as well. I have similar stats and didn't get an interview at Kaye holland Mayer or strook... Where else did u apply but didn't get interviews ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:19 pm

OP here. Those were my top 4... I missed the rest of my top 10 (orrick, dechert, sidley, kasowitz, can't remember the rest). Not sure if all of them were lottery tho, cause im in the mix grade wise

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:27 pm

You guys have to get these thoughts out of your heads and focus on the interviews you have. 10 is a nice amount. Do your research and don't get caught up in how many interviews you have or don't have.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:09 pm

if everyone said "screwed", how would your behavior change relative to if everyone said "not screwed"?

if it would change, why? If not, why do you care?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:29 pm

I think OP made clear the question had no real use, but was being asked because he just wants to know where he stands

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:46 pm

To make you feel better...friend of mine last year had similar stats...10 interviews 5 callbacks 3 offers... So yes, you have a good if not very good shot.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:25 am

OP, I have bad news. You're not allow to take ten jobs as a practicing lawyer; as you can imagine after acing your professional ethics class, that is the ultimate nightmare from the conflicts perspective. In light of this policy consideration, most lawyers decide to have only one job. I hope you can live with this reality post-graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:46 am

clever

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:55 am

That wasn't the point. The point is that you just need one job and you have ten interviews to make it happen. I don't see a need to be going bonkers over this. I'd be totes siked if I have ten interviews.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:03 am

If I had to do interviews, I would rather have 10 shots with your grades then 25 shots at median-ish. Just don't wear a clown suit to the interview and you will do great.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:56 am

Renne Walker wrote:If I had to do interviews, I would rather have 10 shots with your grades then 25 shots at median-ish. Just don't wear a clown suit to the interview and you will do great.

10 shots at median-ish here - Trust me, if you're not an asshat you'll do fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”