Which firms are "global law firms" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which firms are "global law firms"

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Which firms are known to value international experience/international background and interests?

Linklaters, clifford chance, what else? What about a firm like mayer brown that has offices around the world, does that necessarily mean they would value an SA in their nyc city office having international interests?

thanks a lot

letsdoit

Bronze

Re: Which firms are "global law firms"

Post by letsdoit » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:36 pm

freshfields
white & case

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:43 pm

letsdoit wrote:freshfields
white & case
what makes them global law firms over the firms that say they are "international law firms" (many big law firms when they have 15+ offices outside the states)? thanks

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
letsdoit wrote:freshfields
white & case
what makes them global law firms over the firms that say they are "international law firms" (many big law firms when they have 15+ offices outside the states)? thanks
they strongly value foreign language proficiency and foreign experience. just look at some attorney profiles.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:55 pm

...although every firm loves to be a "global law firm" so you're right to question those claims.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm

links
freshfields
clifford chance
cleary
allen and overy

shearman

dla piper
baker mckenzie

white and case is still very very ny-centric.
in terms of traveling opportunities and inter-office integration, links and other magic circle firms are your best bet. maybe cleary among ny firms. others may have tons of offices everywhere (e.g. dla and baker mckenzie and the likes), but you are expected to just work in your assigned office for the most part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:47 pm

bump.
how did you guys manage to remember all these names? :D
any firms that particularly love Chinese-speaking (native level) candidates?

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Hogan also maybe?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump.
you should apply to every magic circle firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
forgive my ignorance :oops: , but aren't magic circle firms all British firms? with the current economy in England, are they still hiring? also i heard US firms pay much more to junior associates than the Brits do.

helpfuluser

New

Post by helpfuluser » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
forgive my ignorance :oops: , but aren't magic circle firms all British firms? with the current economy in England, are they still hiring? also i heard US firms pay much more to junior associates than the Brits do.
I would assume the poster meant the NY offices of said firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Jones Day is very global

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:26 pm

K&L Gates has a significant presence overseas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 pm

nvm
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm happy everyone is giving these insights anonymously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:20 pm

ilovesf wrote:I'm happy everyone is giving these insights anonymously.
What difference does it make to you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Someone asked about Mayer Brown.

The offices work together quite seamlessly and its constant. They definitely value language and travel experience- a summer this year in the Chicago office did half the summer in the Hong Kong office and that isn't abnormal. You don't need to do a British firm to have an international experience.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Someone asked about Mayer Brown.

The offices work together quite seamlessly and its constant. They definitely value language and travel experience- a summer this year in the Chicago office did half the summer in the Hong Kong office and that isn't abnormal. You don't need to do a British firm to have an international experience.

I'm just going to talk about Linklaters, because I can't speak for other firms. Less than 1/3 of the summer class worked the entire summer in New York. Other SAs (over 2/3) either worked in London or Hong Kong for half of the summer. Some worked exclusively in London. And I believe that in the past, some have worked exclusively in Hong Kong as well. This is clearly different from having one summer out of the whole summer class split his time between two offices. I believe CC, A&O, and Freshfields have similar arrangements.

Applying for Magic Circle firms is not necessary to get international experience, for sure. But I am under the impression that not a lot of U.S. firms push the "international experience" to the extent that Magic Circle firms do. Let me know if I am mistaken. I'd really like to know which U.S. firms are as committed (for my future references).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Someone asked about Mayer Brown.

I'm just going to talk about Linklaters, because I can't speak for other firms. Less than 1/3 of the summer class worked the entire summer in New York. Other SAs (over 2/3) either worked in London or Hong Kong for half of the summer. Some worked exclusively in London. And I believe that in the past, some have worked exclusively in Hong Kong as well. This is clearly different from having one summer out of the whole summer class split his time between two offices. I believe CC, A&O, and Freshfields have similar arrangements.

Applying for Magic Circle firms is not necessary to get international experience, for sure. But I am under the impression that not a lot of U.S. firms push the "international experience" to the extent that Magic Circle firms do. Let me know if I am mistaken. I'd really like to know which U.S. firms are as committed (for my future references).
very helpful info, thank you. just to clarify: less than 1/3 of the summer class based in NYC stayed there for the entirety of the summer? or are you just saying less than 1/3 of their entire summer associate program which consists of london, nyc, and hong kong, was based in NYC?

if the former, how do they deal with this/ ask this in the interview?
Interviewer: which city are you interested in being based in for the summer?
me: NYC
Interviewer: okay, for the entirety of the summer? or would you like to spend half of it in hong kong or london?
me: (how do i answer?) (i am totally fine with any arrangement, as long as I get an offer - does it seem they prefer people based in the NYC office to split their summer abroad? and if so, must you have ties to london or hong kong (i do not, but I have an extensively international background and interest))

thanks a ton

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:31 am

at links, all u.s. summers are hired through the ny office (london and hong kong do not hire u.s. summers directly on their own), but their summers have opportunities to go abroad if you indicate your preference and can bring some value to london or hong kong (hong kong more so). some people choose to stay in ny for the whole summer; some choose to split between ny and either london or hong kong; some choose to work in london or hong kong exclusively. i think in most years, people do take advantage of this opportunity to work abroad because, quite frankly, it's a free trip abroad (flight and housing are provided). this year, some 2/3 of the u.s. summer class (20+ people, all hired through the ny office) spent time working abroad.

btw, u.s. associates at magic circle firms still make ny $. you don't have to worry about getting paid less.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:at links, all u.s. summers are hired through the ny office (london and hong kong do not hire u.s. summers directly on their own), but their summers have opportunities to go abroad if you indicate your preference and can bring some value to london or hong kong (hong kong more so). some people choose to stay in ny for the whole summer; some choose to split between ny and either london or hong kong; some choose to work in london or hong kong exclusively. i think in most years, people do take advantage of this opportunity to work abroad because, quite frankly, it's a free trip abroad (flight and housing are provided). this year, some 2/3 of the u.s. summer class (20+ people, all hired through the ny office) spent time working abroad.

btw, u.s. associates at magic circle firms still make ny $. you don't have to worry about getting paid less.
Thanks for the insight. Does expressing your particular interests in the Asian market during OCI interviews or call back interviews hurt yor chances of getting an offer from the ny office?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The Magic Circle firms are definitely not doing as well as American firms, generally, but some of them have been expanding their US branches more recently. Also, they hire American lawyers at American market rates, even in their London offices (and also overseas, e.g., in China, as well as in the U.S.).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:at links, all u.s. summers are hired through the ny office (london and hong kong do not hire u.s. summers directly on their own), but their summers have opportunities to go abroad if you indicate your preference and can bring some value to london or hong kong (hong kong more so). some people choose to stay in ny for the whole summer; some choose to split between ny and either london or hong kong; some choose to work in london or hong kong exclusively. i think in most years, people do take advantage of this opportunity to work abroad because, quite frankly, it's a free trip abroad (flight and housing are provided). this year, some 2/3 of the u.s. summer class (20+ people, all hired through the ny office) spent time working abroad.

Thanks for the insight. Does expressing your particular interests in the Asian market during OCI interviews or call back interviews hurt yor chances of getting an offer from the ny office?
not at all. it actually HELPS you if you can convincingly tie together your interest in asian market + your language skills + your internatioal experience + desire to work in ny office. a lot of u.s. associates with asian language skills still choose to work in ny but they get to work on deals involving asia-based clients. the same goes for spanish/portuguese speaking associates. You can work in ny and still utilize your language skills in deals involving lat am clients.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”