How to respond to recruiter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How to respond to recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:00 am

Just got a response to my summer associate application from a recruiter. The e-mail said "Please let me know if you have any plans on being in the City X area over the next few weeks."

1. How should I interpret this? Does this mean they are interested in giving me a screener, but only moderately interested since they only want to do so if I'll be in town?

2. I am only going to be at home (an hour and a half away from City X) through early next week before departing for school. I was planning on telling them this, but also thinking that I should tell them that I plan to be in town in a few weeks, even though I currently have no plans for this. Seems that I should make sure that I'm in town regardless, right?

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby DrGuano » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a response to my summer associate application from a recruiter. The e-mail said "Please let me know if you have any plans on being in the City X area over the next few weeks."

1. How should I interpret this? Does this mean they are interested in giving me a screener, but only moderately interested since they only want to do so if I'll be in town?

2. I am only going to be at home (an hour and a half away from City X) through early next week before departing for school. I was planning on telling them this, but also thinking that I should tell them that I plan to be in town in a few weeks, even though I currently have no plans for this. Seems that I should make sure that I'm in town regardless, right?


Dude, you really need to post this on a web forum in order to get an answer? Here's a clue on what to do...

LET HER KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY PLANS ON BEING IN THE CITY X AREA OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:07 am

It seems like they will give you an interview if you are in town but otherwise do not want to pay for you to come to town. If you think it's worth it to come to town on your own dime for the interview, I'd plan a trip and see if they bite.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:07 am

I am aware of what she asked me. I am just trying to read between the lines and interpret what this actually means.

If I don't have any plans and am honest with the recruiter about this, I don't want this to cause me to not get a screener I would otherwise get.

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby DrGuano » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am aware of what she asked me. I am just trying to read between the lines and interpret what this actually means.

If I don't have any plans and am honest with the recruiter about this, I don't want this to cause me to not get a screener I would otherwise get.


You asked how should you respond to the recruiter. She's not playing games with you. If you're around when it's mutually convenient for the firm, they would have some interest in meeting you. If it's not, they're not paying to fly you out when it works for them. If you can't navigate this situation effectively, then...good luck in life dude.

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby apparentlynew » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 am

If I don't have any plans and am honest with the recruiter about this


am honest with the recruiter about this


honest with the recruiter


My friend, you dwell in a darkened cave, gaping at shadows that flicker 'pon the wall. Let me guide your wasted visage to the blinding radiance of true light and true sight.

Don't take the recruiter's request literally. She does not mean that you should tell her you are coming to the area ONLY IF you ALREADY HAD PLANS TO GO THERE BEFORE SHE CALLED YOU.

If you tell her you have no plans to go, you will get no screener.

No one gives a fuck what your plans prior to her call were. They want to know if you will go there to be interviewed. That's all they want to know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:26 am

apparentlynew wrote:
If I don't have any plans and am honest with the recruiter about this


am honest with the recruiter about this


honest with the recruiter


My friend, you dwell in a darkened cave, gaping at shadows that flicker 'pon the wall. Let me guide your wasted visage to the blinding radiance of true light and true sight.

Don't take the recruiter's request literally. She does not mean that you should tell her you are coming to the area ONLY IF you ALREADY HAD PLANS TO GO THERE BEFORE SHE CALLED YOU.

If you tell her you have no plans to go, you will get no screener.

No one gives a fuck what your plans prior to her call were. They want to know if you will go there to be interviewed. That's all they want to know.


I was not going to tell her that I had no plans prior to her call. Minus the condescension, you were at least more helpful than Dr. Guano. I did not think I should take her literally but wanted confirmation on this.

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby apparentlynew » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:37 am

I submit that no meaning, other than the one we've suggested to you, could be reasonably inferred from the recruiter's statement.

What else did you think she might have meant?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:41 am

Do you need the job? I think your favorite Aunt, who lives up the road from [firm], is having a birthday next week.

Do you not need the job? Then WTF is wrong with these a-holes and why won't they pay for your CB like a non-TTT firm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 am

apparentlynew wrote:I submit that no meaning, other than the one we've suggested to you, could be reasonably inferred from the recruiter's statement.

What else did you think she might have meant?


I don't know, maybe they would do a phone screener instead of interviewing me in person if I was not going to be around. Or maybe it was all or nothing.

I know it is a straightforward question, but I just wanted to get affirmation on what I was thinking. Not much lost from asking a "stupid" question to people I don't know.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 pm

apparentlynew wrote:
If I don't have any plans and am honest with the recruiter about this


am honest with the recruiter about this


honest with the recruiter


My friend, you dwell in a darkened cave, gaping at shadows that flicker 'pon the wall. Let me guide your wasted visage to the blinding radiance of true light and true sight.

Don't take the recruiter's request literally. She does not mean that you should tell her you are coming to the area ONLY IF you ALREADY HAD PLANS TO GO THERE BEFORE SHE CALLED YOU.

If you tell her you have no plans to go, you will get no screener.

No one gives a fuck what your plans prior to her call were. They want to know if you will go there to be interviewed. That's all they want to know.

Cave allegory is 180

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:44 pm

apparentlynew wrote:
If I don't have any plans and am honest with the recruiter about this


am honest with the recruiter about this


honest with the recruiter


My friend, you dwell in a darkened cave, gaping at shadows that flicker 'pon the wall. Let me guide your wasted visage to the blinding radiance of true light and trIue sight.

Don't take the recruiter's request literally. She does not mean that you should tell her you are coming to the area ONLY IF you ALREADY HAD PLANS TO GO THERE BEFORE SHE CALLED YOU.

If you tell her you have no plans to go, you will get no screener.

No one gives a fuck what your plans prior to her call were. They want to know if you will go there to be interviewed. That's all they want to know.
Cr

Hie your ass to town, son. Interview's a-waitin'. good chance they pay for this anyway, and also that it's going straight to CB instead of being a screener. Plus, once you've got it confirmed, you can then try to leverage other firms into giving you interviews by saying you'll be in town on x day and that you'd love to meet with them

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 pm

stratocophic wrote:
apparentlynew wrote:
If I don't have any plans and am honest with the recruiter about this


am honest with the recruiter about this


honest with the recruiter


My friend, you dwell in a darkened cave, gaping at shadows that flicker 'pon the wall. Let me guide your wasted visage to the blinding radiance of true light and trIue sight.

Don't take the recruiter's request literally. She does not mean that you should tell her you are coming to the area ONLY IF you ALREADY HAD PLANS TO GO THERE BEFORE SHE CALLED YOU.

If you tell her you have no plans to go, you will get no screener.

No one gives a fuck what your plans prior to her call were. They want to know if you will go there to be interviewed. That's all they want to know.
Cr

Hie your ass to town, son. Interview's a-waitin'. good chance they pay for this anyway, and also that it's going straight to CB instead of being a screener. Plus, once you've got it confirmed, you can then try to leverage other firms into giving you interviews by saying you'll be in town on x day and that you'd love to meet with them


All's well that ends well, CB next week. Good call on the "I'll be in town" piece in the CL. Thanks for the constructive (and not-so-constructive) feedback everyone.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: How to respond to recruiter

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
apparentlynew wrote:
If I don't have any plans and am honest with the recruiter about this


am honest with the recruiter about this


honest with the recruiter


My friend, you dwell in a darkened cave, gaping at shadows that flicker 'pon the wall. Let me guide your wasted visage to the blinding radiance of true light and trIue sight.

Don't take the recruiter's request literally. She does not mean that you should tell her you are coming to the area ONLY IF you ALREADY HAD PLANS TO GO THERE BEFORE SHE CALLED YOU.

If you tell her you have no plans to go, you will get no screener.

No one gives a fuck what your plans prior to her call were. They want to know if you will go there to be interviewed. That's all they want to know.
Cr

Hie your ass to town, son. Interview's a-waitin'. good chance they pay for this anyway, and also that it's going straight to CB instead of being a screener. Plus, once you've got it confirmed, you can then try to leverage other firms into giving you interviews by saying you'll be in town on x day and that you'd love to meet with them


All's well that ends well, CB next week. Good call on the "I'll be in town" piece in the CL. Thanks for the constructive (and not-so-constructive) feedback everyone.
Don't be afraid to be persistent about that. They're swamped, if they don't notice it because they're busy you're SOL. Don't call everyday or anything, but I'd lead off with an email to recruiters explaining that w/ a cover letter and resume attached. No response, follow up 2 days later by phone and then every 2nd day afterwards. You're on a compressed schedule given that you have a week and a half to set these up so you need to work fast. For that matter, you could even call them after you get out of the other CB if you haven't heard back as a last chance type deal.

Also, be prepared when you go. I got a call for a CB while I was driving the 2.5 hours to another one and they wanted me in the next say since I'd said I'd be there for firm A. Fortunately I knew it was a possibility that they were just slow and would be prodded into action by the 1-day deadline they now had since I hadn't heard from them before that, so I brought extra clothes and stuff even though I was planning to drive back home right after the interview. Ended up staying the night for the second with no extra hassles - saved me a lot of trouble to bring that stuff




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.