A delicate situation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

A delicate situation

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:17 pm

My problem is a good one to have but it is a problem nonetheless. I am a rising 3L that summered at two firms this year. Firm 1 is a "big law" firm where I also spent 1L summer; Firm 2 is a selective boutique. I had great experiences at both firms, and I'd be happy and honored to work at either. I also have developed close personal relationships at both firms, especially Firm 1 on account of my two years there.

Recently I received an offer from Firm 1 and, of course, pressure to accept. Although various partners at Firm 2 have told me I will get an offer there as well, Firm 2 will not extend formal offers until late August or early September.

Overall I think Firm 2 is the better opportunity and the better fit, if the offer materializes. But I very much like Firm 1, and I don't want to burn any bridges, not to mention reject the only offer I have in hand at the moment.

How would you handle this situation?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: A delicate situation

Postby chrisbru » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My problem is a good one to have but it is a problem nonetheless. I am a rising 3L that summered at two firms this year. Firm 1 is a "big law" firm where I also spent 1L summer; Firm 2 is a selective boutique. I had great experiences at both firms, and I'd be happy and honored to work at either. I also have developed close personal relationships at both firms, especially Firm 1 on account of my two years there.

Recently I received an offer from Firm 1 and, of course, pressure to accept. Although various partners at Firm 2 have told me I will get an offer there as well, Firm 2 will not extend formal offers until late August or early September.

Overall I think Firm 2 is the better opportunity and the better fit, if the offer materializes. But I very much like Firm 1, and I don't want to burn any bridges, not to mention reject the only offer I have in hand at the moment.

How would you handle this situation?



Firm 1 is a "big law" firm you said - Is it NALP?

If so:

"A. General Provisions

All offers to law student candidates (“candidates”) should remain open for at least two weeks after the date of the offer letter unless the offers are made pursuant to Sections B and C below, in which case the later response date should apply.
Candidates are expected to accept or release offers or request an extension by the applicable deadline. Offers that are not accepted by the offer deadline expire.
A candidate should not hold open more than five offers of employment at any one time. For each offer received that places a candidate over the offer limit, the candidate should, within one week of receipt of the excess offer, release an offer.
Employers offering part-time or temporary positions for the school term are exempted from the requirements of Paragraphs B and C below.
Practices inconsistent with these guidelines should be reported to the candidate’s career services office."


So, within the two weeks it is totally acceptable to tell them you are weighing your options and want to know if you could have a couple extra weeks to decide.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: A delicate situation

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:27 pm

Don't just do something, sit there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A delicate situation

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:29 pm

SeaLocust, please elaborate.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: A delicate situation

Postby MrKappus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SeaLocust, please elaborate.


It's not complicated.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: A delicate situation

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SeaLocust, please elaborate.


Don't do anything.

Weeks from now, if firm 2 hasn't gotten in contact with you, get in contact with them and mention the offer from firm 1. Depending on the time frame they give you, then ask firm 1 for an extension.

If at any point you realize that you prefer firm 1 no matter what, accept the offer and inform firm 2 of your plans.

But really the key is to not do anything right now.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.