Facebook and fake names

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pate

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Pate » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:05 am

Glad I saw this thread!!

I am not on Facebook. However, I do agree that a potential employer might want to check me out via the net. So I Googled myself and wow, I totally forgot I still had a My Space page from ’09! It includes a few innocent pictures (and a couple headshots from modeling days) and a video of me playing with my dog out by the lake. Next thing was two publications from my UG. Then, talk about forgetful, a couple of Webshot photos (remember Webshots?) taken when I was swimming with a Dolphin.

Again, glad I saw this thread, because yea, most of us are somewhere on the net!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:10 am

Pate wrote:Glad I saw this thread!!

I am not on Facebook. However, I do agree that a potential employer might want to check me out via the net. So I Googled myself and wow, I totally forgot I still had a My Space page from ’09! It includes a few innocent pictures (and a couple headshots from modeling days) and a video of me playing with my dog out by the lake. Next thing was two publications from my UG. Then, talk about forgetful, a couple of Webshot photos (remember Webshots?) taken when I was swimming with a Dolphin.

Again, glad I saw this thread, because yea, most of us are somewhere on the net!

I have something really stupid connected to my name that I can't get rid of - some high school blog where someone wrote my full name in a blog entry (lol). It's like the second thing that pops up when you google my name. Unfortunately, I have a really unique last name and I'm 99% sure I am the only person with my full name in the country. It hasn't seemed to hurt me yet. Googling yourself often is always a good idea.

Pate

Postby Pate » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:22 am

OK, this is not good. I had no idea that Tweets could be Googled. Fortunately I rarely tweet and then nothing hysterically bad, most were about LS acceptances. To me Tweets could possibly be far more revealing than Facebook. . .just ‘saying.

FWIW: When I say Google I mean Bing.
Last edited by Pate on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 06102016 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:53 am

Pate

Postby Pate » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:01 am

slack_academic wrote:People use Bing?

FWIW: The Bing bar is pretty handy. Next to the Bing space, there is Gmail, Weather, Stock Market. Maps.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 am

I keep Bing as my homepage but search with the google bar lol...those pictures they always have up are too awesome

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:08 am

Ozymandias wrote:
kalvano wrote:At what age does not having a Facebook become less creepy / shady? I'm 32 and I have no desire to have a Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn. But I do kind of worry about potential negative assumptions from the lack of any social media presence.

I would say no one cares, but I'll amend to - normal people don't care.

I agree with this. However, if you want to have some sort of presence, go with LinkedIn over Facebook/Twitter. The nice thing about LinkedIn is that it's basically your resume online and will be the first thing that pops up when people search you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:52 am

Perseus_I wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

counterpoint:

my facebook happens to be fairly locked down, but i am searchable, so when employers find my facebook, basically all they can see is my profile picture and timeline cover photo (reproduced below)

doesn't seem to have affected my job search negatively so far

Then, clearly, the clients must approve.

I APPROVE!

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:59 am

ilovesf wrote:

I have something really stupid connected to my name that I can't get rid of - some high school blog where someone wrote my full name in a blog entry (lol). It's like the second thing that pops up when you google my name. Unfortunately, I have a really unique last name and I'm 99% sure I am the only person with my full name in the country. It hasn't seemed to hurt me yet. Googling yourself often is always a good idea.

Ha! I have a very similar story. Some idiot I knew in college was a journalism major and was always writing "articles" for her blog for class. In one, she made up a quote by me that is incredibly dumb, and comes up when you search my name. It's nothing harmful, just stupid (about clothes), and likewise, I'm the only person with my name. Ah well.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 am

you seem pretty unforgettable man

the only thing that comes up when you google my name is a picture of me at disneyland

meowtwo

Postby meowtwo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:20 am

I still haven't gotten a LinkedIn, even though everyone tells me to. I don't know, the idea of putting my entire resume for any stranger to peruse through for the sake of networking just doesn't sit well with me. I'll probably cave in eventually.

ShitLawOrBust

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am

meowtwo wrote:I still haven't gotten a LinkedIn, even though everyone tells me to. I don't know, the idea of putting my entire resume for any stranger to peruse through for the sake of networking just doesn't sit well with me. I'll probably cave in eventually.

you ought to. I had multiple lawyers tell me it's a good idea before doing so, fwiw

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:24 am

meowtwo wrote:I still haven't gotten a LinkedIn, even though everyone tells me to. I don't know, the idea of putting my entire resume for any stranger to peruse through for the sake of networking just doesn't sit well with me. I'll probably cave in eventually.

It's really not a big deal. If you don't want one, don't get one.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:11 pm

A bunch more people I know on facebook changed their names this week. This paranoia is ridiculous. The funniest are the ones with their full name still in their facebook URL.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:19 pm

I am posting pictures of myself in a suit. Updating my status with all the latest WSJ articles about corporations. Liking firm profiles. Getting BigLaw is like dating, and what better way to start that than with some innocent fb flirting.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Ozymandias wrote:A bunch more people I know on facebook changed their names this week. This paranoia is ridiculous. The funniest are the ones with their full name still in their facebook URL.

Also, you can search fb with emails. So people will change their names but not their emails/not make themselves unsearchable.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Pokemon wrote:I am posting pictures of myself in a suit. Updating my status with all the latest WSJ articles about corporations. Liking firm profiles. Getting BigLaw is like dating, and what better way to start that than with some innocent fb flirting.

Be careful. Just as with dating after a certain point (the "callback" stage), you don't want S&C to catch you "liking" Cravath.

Return to “Legal Employment”