Facebook and fake names

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:02 am

MrKappus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?


Huh?


Sorry, mistake. I mean people are hiding stuff on their facebook because they don't want employers to see what they post. I am wondering why they would post those things if they knew law firms would not approve of those things.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:04 am

r6_philly wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?


Huh?


Sorry, mistake. I mean people are hiding stuff on their facebook because they don't want employers to see what they post. I am wondering why they would post those things if they knew law firms would not approve of those things.


Oh. Yeah, not a bad point. I guess the goal is to have a work/life distinction (i.e., stuff your friends get to see vs. stuff your colleagues get to see). But I suppose one could just go without.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:08 am

apologies for blowing everyone's mind, but there is some middle ground between "things you would love potential employers to see" and "videos of your friends pouring cocaine down your nose during a keg stand." it's perfectly reasonable to keep things hidden from potential employers on facebook, even things that wouldn't cause you to commit seppuku if revealed to the world.

Betharl
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Betharl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:08 am

I am not on facebook and have never had any desire to be on facebook. On the one hand, I suppose it could help with networking, but I just really don't think I'd use it and I don't want to put myself out there like that. I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation (everyone else has one so I guess I better have one too) even though they don't really use it/aren't on it frequently. Of course, at this point, I feel like if I did start a facebook page this late in the game I'd have an embarrassingly small amount of friends as it would most likely be limited to actual friends. It's my understanding people pick up a lot of friends throughout the years and most of them are people they wouldn't even say hello to if they passed on the street. I don't know, it all just seems strange to me, but I guess I'm in the vast minority.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 am

Betharl wrote:I am not on facebook and have never had any desire to be on facebook. On the one hand, I suppose it could help with networking, but I just really don't think I'd use it and I don't want to put myself out there like that. I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation (everyone else has one so I guess I better have one too) even though they don't really use it/aren't on it frequently. Of course, at this point, I feel like if I did start a facebook page this late in the game I'd have an embarrassingly small amount of friends as it would most likely be limited to actual friends. It's my understanding people pick up a lot of friends throughout the years and most of them are people they wouldn't even say hello to if they passed on the street. I don't know, it all just seems strange to me, but I guess I'm in the vast minority.


I automatically find people who don't have facebook to be creepy/shady.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:11 am

r6_philly wrote:
flcath wrote:Lol WTF. I read over philly's post the first time thinking he was just writing about employers checking FB pages.

Making you log-on in front of them?! Please tell me that no one here would agree to do that. Not to pull the billy-badass-on-the-internet routine, but there's a 0% chance I'd do this, even on a CB.


This has not been reported at firms. But I wouldn't put it past smaller firms.


This probably violates laws or comes close. I doubt any large employer, particularly a large firm, would take that risk. I mean, there's just so many possibilities; what if Facebook reveals marital status, religion, sexual orientation, and children? Forcing someone to log in to a Facebook in front of the interviewer is akin to asking about marital status, religion, sexual orientation ("married to X" or "in a relationship with X") and children during interviews because some or all of that information is commonly revealed on Facebook. That may not even be the worst of the problems. But I don't think any law firm wants to go there.

My Facebook has been unsearchable since 2006. Even if you were to find it, I doubt you'd find much objectionable on there, aside from grammar mistakes.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby ilovesf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:12 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Betharl wrote:I am not on facebook and have never had any desire to be on facebook. On the one hand, I suppose it could help with networking, but I just really don't think I'd use it and I don't want to put myself out there like that. I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation (everyone else has one so I guess I better have one too) even though they don't really use it/aren't on it frequently. Of course, at this point, I feel like if I did start a facebook page this late in the game I'd have an embarrassingly small amount of friends as it would most likely be limited to actual friends. It's my understanding people pick up a lot of friends throughout the years and most of them are people they wouldn't even say hello to if they passed on the street. I don't know, it all just seems strange to me, but I guess I'm in the vast minority.


I automatically find people who don't have facebook to be creepy/shady.

Me too.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am

fatduck wrote:apologies for blowing everyone's mind, but there is some middle ground between "things you would love potential employers to see" and "videos of your friends pouring cocaine down your nose during a keg stand." it's perfectly reasonable to keep things hidden from potential employers on facebook, even things that wouldn't cause you to commit seppuku if revealed to the world.


If you don't want the world (any part of it) to see something, don't post it online to a third party corporation who reserve the right to keep it on their servers forever, even after you die. It would see more reasonable to me that if you want to keep something person, then keep it personal. I remember when I used to work with sensitive information, it's usually kept on a network that is not linked to the internet. It would seem that one can take better precaution to guard their "personal" things than to count on a for profit corporation with no obligation to stick to their privacy policy other than user pressure.

User avatar
gyarados
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:40 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby gyarados » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 am

r6_philly wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?


Huh?


Sorry, mistake. I mean people are hiding stuff on their facebook because they don't want employers to see what they post. I am wondering why they would post those things if they knew law firms would not approve of those things.

Your desire to have your employer approve of every facet of your life is slightly creepy.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:15 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Betharl wrote:I am not on facebook and have never had any desire to be on facebook. On the one hand, I suppose it could help with networking, but I just really don't think I'd use it and I don't want to put myself out there like that. I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation (everyone else has one so I guess I better have one too) even though they don't really use it/aren't on it frequently. Of course, at this point, I feel like if I did start a facebook page this late in the game I'd have an embarrassingly small amount of friends as it would most likely be limited to actual friends. It's my understanding people pick up a lot of friends throughout the years and most of them are people they wouldn't even say hello to if they passed on the street. I don't know, it all just seems strange to me, but I guess I'm in the vast minority.


I automatically find people who don't have facebook to be creepy/shady.


When I add someone, I have noticed that finding them in a raw search works only about 50% of the time or less. Being invisible in searches is the EXACT SAME THING as not being visible on Facebook through some other way, and if not the majority, a substantial minority of the population, particularly the young population, does it.

A lot of statements on this thread also assume a level of technological competence way above most big law recruiters.

Another side to this issue: I am sure some of my posts on FB have grammar mistakes or incorrect abbreviations or are otherwise informal, rather than professional. I am sure R6_Philly also does not write his FB posts with the same style he uses for his LRW memos. Why would I expose this to a recruiter who is, among other things, evaluating an applicant's writing ability?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:apologies for blowing everyone's mind, but there is some middle ground between "things you would love potential employers to see" and "videos of your friends pouring cocaine down your nose during a keg stand." it's perfectly reasonable to keep things hidden from potential employers on facebook, even things that wouldn't cause you to commit seppuku if revealed to the world.


If you don't want the world (any part of it) to see something, don't post it online to a third party corporation who reserve the right to keep it on their servers forever, even after you die. It would see more reasonable to me that if you want to keep something person, then keep it personal. I remember when I used to work with sensitive information, it's usually kept on a network that is not linked to the internet. It would seem that one can take better precaution to guard their "personal" things than to count on a for profit corporation with no obligation to stick to their privacy policy other than user pressure.

i don't know how it works on Planet Ridiculous Absolutes but here on earth it's possible to post information online, even on facebook, that you would prefer potential employers didn't read immediately upon googling your name, but that you wouldn't be particularly concerned about if they did find it somehow, like through a failure in facebook's privacy controls, or through a mutual friend, or because you're dead.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:19 am

gyarados wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?


Huh?


Sorry, mistake. I mean people are hiding stuff on their facebook because they don't want employers to see what they post. I am wondering why they would post those things if they knew law firms would not approve of those things.

Your desire to have your employer approve of every facet of your life is slightly creepy.


Law is a customer service business. When your firm goes out to sell their services, they are selling you. That's why they put your bio on their websites.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 am

fatduck wrote:i don't know how it works on Planet Ridiculous Absolutes but here on earth it's possible to post information online, even on facebook, that you would prefer potential employers didn't read immediately upon googling your name, but that you wouldn't be particularly concerned about if they did find it somehow, like through a failure in facebook's privacy controls, or through a mutual friend, or because you're dead.


Sorry.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:21 am

fatduck wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:apologies for blowing everyone's mind, but there is some middle ground between "things you would love potential employers to see" and "videos of your friends pouring cocaine down your nose during a keg stand." it's perfectly reasonable to keep things hidden from potential employers on facebook, even things that wouldn't cause you to commit seppuku if revealed to the world.


If you don't want the world (any part of it) to see something, don't post it online to a third party corporation who reserve the right to keep it on their servers forever, even after you die. It would see more reasonable to me that if you want to keep something person, then keep it personal. I remember when I used to work with sensitive information, it's usually kept on a network that is not linked to the internet. It would seem that one can take better precaution to guard their "personal" things than to count on a for profit corporation with no obligation to stick to their privacy policy other than user pressure.

i don't know how it works on Planet Ridiculous Absolutes but here on earth it's possible to post information online, even on facebook, that you would prefer potential employers didn't read immediately upon googling your name, but that you wouldn't be particularly concerned about if they did find it somehow, like through a failure in facebook's privacy controls, or through a mutual friend, or because you're dead.


Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

I also don't want employers to see any picture of me not wearing a suit, especially when the pictures expose my seriously un-tanned skin. I also don't want employers to learn my relationship status, marital status, race, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation unless I choose to disclose these things to them.
Last edited by Perseus_I on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gyarados
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:40 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby gyarados » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 am

Perseus_I wrote:Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

But you wouldn't write any of those things, because you would stop and remember that your firm wouldn't approve of you at that moment. And the shame would be terrible.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby ilovesf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 am

gyarados wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

But you wouldn't write any of those things, because you would stop and remember that your firm wouldn't approve of you at that moment. And the shame would be terrible.

I mean, you will be losing your firm's business because of these typos.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 am

At what age does not having a Facebook become less creepy / shady? I'm 32 and I have no desire to have a Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn. But I do kind of worry about potential negative assumptions from the lack of any social media presence.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:25 am

Perseus_I wrote:Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

counterpoint:

my facebook happens to be fairly locked down, but i am searchable, so when employers find my facebook, basically all they can see is my profile picture and timeline cover photo (reproduced below)

Image

doesn't seem to have affected my job search negatively so far

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 am

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Betharl wrote:I am not on facebook and have never had any desire to be on facebook. On the one hand, I suppose it could help with networking, but I just really don't think I'd use it and I don't want to put myself out there like that. I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation (everyone else has one so I guess I better have one too) even though they don't really use it/aren't on it frequently. Of course, at this point, I feel like if I did start a facebook page this late in the game I'd have an embarrassingly small amount of friends as it would most likely be limited to actual friends. It's my understanding people pick up a lot of friends throughout the years and most of them are people they wouldn't even say hello to if they passed on the street. I don't know, it all just seems strange to me, but I guess I'm in the vast minority.


I automatically find people who don't have facebook to be creepy/shady.

Me too.


There was just a article/study from WSJ about employers starting to think the same thing.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:28 am

fatduck wrote:
doesn't seem to have affected my job search negatively so far


Right, apparently you are not one that needs to hide something. So either law students are overly neurotic or maybe people have worse stuff.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:32 am

fatduck wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

counterpoint:

my facebook happens to be fairly locked down, but i am searchable, so when employers find my facebook, basically all they can see is my profile picture and timeline cover photo (reproduced below)

Image

doesn't seem to have affected my job search negatively so far


Then, clearly, the clients must approve.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:39 am

kalvano wrote:At what age does not having a Facebook become less creepy / shady? I'm 32 and I have no desire to have a Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn. But I do kind of worry about potential negative assumptions from the lack of any social media presence.

I would say no one cares, but I'll amend to - normal people don't care.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby dreakol » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 am

Ozymandias wrote:
kalvano wrote:At what age does not having a Facebook become less creepy / shady? I'm 32 and I have no desire to have a Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn. But I do kind of worry about potential negative assumptions from the lack of any social media presence.

I would say no one cares, but I'll amend to - normal people don't care.


when you stop being a 16 year old girl

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:46 am

fatduck wrote:doesn't seem to have affected my job search negatively so far


Considering your freak resume I'm pretty sure firm recruiters would do a crabwalk if it meant you taking their offer.

Betharl
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Betharl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Betharl wrote:I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation


I automatically find people who don't have facebook to be creepy/shady.


Sort of proving my point.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.