Facebook and fake names

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:02 am

MrKappus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?

Huh?

Sorry, mistake. I mean people are hiding stuff on their facebook because they don't want employers to see what they post. I am wondering why they would post those things if they knew law firms would not approve of those things.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:04 am

r6_philly wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?

Huh?

Sorry, mistake. I mean people are hiding stuff on their facebook because they don't want employers to see what they post. I am wondering why they would post those things if they knew law firms would not approve of those things.

Oh. Yeah, not a bad point. I guess the goal is to have a work/life distinction (i.e., stuff your friends get to see vs. stuff your colleagues get to see). But I suppose one could just go without.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:08 am

apologies for blowing everyone's mind, but there is some middle ground between "things you would love potential employers to see" and "videos of your friends pouring cocaine down your nose during a keg stand." it's perfectly reasonable to keep things hidden from potential employers on facebook, even things that wouldn't cause you to commit seppuku if revealed to the world.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:08 am

I am not on facebook and have never had any desire to be on facebook. On the one hand, I suppose it could help with networking, but I just really don't think I'd use it and I don't want to put myself out there like that. I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation (everyone else has one so I guess I better have one too) even though they don't really use it/aren't on it frequently. Of course, at this point, I feel like if I did start a facebook page this late in the game I'd have an embarrassingly small amount of friends as it would most likely be limited to actual friends. It's my understanding people pick up a lot of friends throughout the years and most of them are people they wouldn't even say hello to if they passed on the street. I don't know, it all just seems strange to me, but I guess I'm in the vast minority.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 am

Betharl wrote:I am not on facebook and have never had any desire to be on facebook. On the one hand, I suppose it could help with networking, but I just really don't think I'd use it and I don't want to put myself out there like that. I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation (everyone else has one so I guess I better have one too) even though they don't really use it/aren't on it frequently. Of course, at this point, I feel like if I did start a facebook page this late in the game I'd have an embarrassingly small amount of friends as it would most likely be limited to actual friends. It's my understanding people pick up a lot of friends throughout the years and most of them are people they wouldn't even say hello to if they passed on the street. I don't know, it all just seems strange to me, but I guess I'm in the vast minority.

I automatically find people who don't have facebook to be creepy/shady.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:11 am

r6_philly wrote:
flcath wrote:Lol WTF. I read over philly's post the first time thinking he was just writing about employers checking FB pages.

Making you log-on in front of them?! Please tell me that no one here would agree to do that. Not to pull the billy-badass-on-the-internet routine, but there's a 0% chance I'd do this, even on a CB.

This has not been reported at firms. But I wouldn't put it past smaller firms.

This probably violates laws or comes close. I doubt any large employer, particularly a large firm, would take that risk. I mean, there's just so many possibilities; what if Facebook reveals marital status, religion, sexual orientation, and children? Forcing someone to log in to a Facebook in front of the interviewer is akin to asking about marital status, religion, sexual orientation ("married to X" or "in a relationship with X") and children during interviews because some or all of that information is commonly revealed on Facebook. That may not even be the worst of the problems. But I don't think any law firm wants to go there.

My Facebook has been unsearchable since 2006. Even if you were to find it, I doubt you'd find much objectionable on there, aside from grammar mistakes.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:12 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Betharl wrote:I am not on facebook and have never had any desire to be on facebook. On the one hand, I suppose it could help with networking, but I just really don't think I'd use it and I don't want to put myself out there like that. I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation (everyone else has one so I guess I better have one too) even though they don't really use it/aren't on it frequently. Of course, at this point, I feel like if I did start a facebook page this late in the game I'd have an embarrassingly small amount of friends as it would most likely be limited to actual friends. It's my understanding people pick up a lot of friends throughout the years and most of them are people they wouldn't even say hello to if they passed on the street. I don't know, it all just seems strange to me, but I guess I'm in the vast minority.

Me too.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am

fatduck wrote:apologies for blowing everyone's mind, but there is some middle ground between "things you would love potential employers to see" and "videos of your friends pouring cocaine down your nose during a keg stand." it's perfectly reasonable to keep things hidden from potential employers on facebook, even things that wouldn't cause you to commit seppuku if revealed to the world.

If you don't want the world (any part of it) to see something, don't post it online to a third party corporation who reserve the right to keep it on their servers forever, even after you die. It would see more reasonable to me that if you want to keep something person, then keep it personal. I remember when I used to work with sensitive information, it's usually kept on a network that is not linked to the internet. It would seem that one can take better precaution to guard their "personal" things than to count on a for profit corporation with no obligation to stick to their privacy policy other than user pressure.

gyarados

Postby gyarados » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 am

r6_philly wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

Huh?

Your desire to have your employer approve of every facet of your life is slightly creepy.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:15 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

When I add someone, I have noticed that finding them in a raw search works only about 50% of the time or less. Being invisible in searches is the EXACT SAME THING as not being visible on Facebook through some other way, and if not the majority, a substantial minority of the population, particularly the young population, does it.

A lot of statements on this thread also assume a level of technological competence way above most big law recruiters.

Another side to this issue: I am sure some of my posts on FB have grammar mistakes or incorrect abbreviations or are otherwise informal, rather than professional. I am sure R6_Philly also does not write his FB posts with the same style he uses for his LRW memos. Why would I expose this to a recruiter who is, among other things, evaluating an applicant's writing ability?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:apologies for blowing everyone's mind, but there is some middle ground between "things you would love potential employers to see" and "videos of your friends pouring cocaine down your nose during a keg stand." it's perfectly reasonable to keep things hidden from potential employers on facebook, even things that wouldn't cause you to commit seppuku if revealed to the world.

If you don't want the world (any part of it) to see something, don't post it online to a third party corporation who reserve the right to keep it on their servers forever, even after you die. It would see more reasonable to me that if you want to keep something person, then keep it personal. I remember when I used to work with sensitive information, it's usually kept on a network that is not linked to the internet. It would seem that one can take better precaution to guard their "personal" things than to count on a for profit corporation with no obligation to stick to their privacy policy other than user pressure.

i don't know how it works on Planet Ridiculous Absolutes but here on earth it's possible to post information online, even on facebook, that you would prefer potential employers didn't read immediately upon googling your name, but that you wouldn't be particularly concerned about if they did find it somehow, like through a failure in facebook's privacy controls, or through a mutual friend, or because you're dead.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:19 am

gyarados wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

Huh?

Your desire to have your employer approve of every facet of your life is slightly creepy.

Law is a customer service business. When your firm goes out to sell their services, they are selling you. That's why they put your bio on their websites.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 am

fatduck wrote:i don't know how it works on Planet Ridiculous Absolutes but here on earth it's possible to post information online, even on facebook, that you would prefer potential employers didn't read immediately upon googling your name, but that you wouldn't be particularly concerned about if they did find it somehow, like through a failure in facebook's privacy controls, or through a mutual friend, or because you're dead.

Sorry.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:21 am

fatduck wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

i don't know how it works on Planet Ridiculous Absolutes but here on earth it's possible to post information online, even on facebook, that you would prefer potential employers didn't read immediately upon googling your name, but that you wouldn't be particularly concerned about if they did find it somehow, like through a failure in facebook's privacy controls, or through a mutual friend, or because you're dead.

Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

I also don't want employers to see any picture of me not wearing a suit, especially when the pictures expose my seriously un-tanned skin. I also don't want employers to learn my relationship status, marital status, race, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation unless I choose to disclose these things to them.
Last edited by Perseus_I on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

gyarados

Postby gyarados » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 am

Perseus_I wrote:Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

But you wouldn't write any of those things, because you would stop and remember that your firm wouldn't approve of you at that moment. And the shame would be terrible.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 am

gyarados wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Typo on Facebook? Dinged (It's "you're" not "your" by the way). Use the term TTT on Facebook? Dinged for profanity. Use the term "heyyyyy" on Facebook when catching up with a friend after the summer? Dinged for poor writing skills. I just don't want to go there.

But you wouldn't write any of those things, because you would stop and remember that your firm wouldn't approve of you at that moment. And the shame would be terrible.

I mean, you will be losing your firm's business because of these typos.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 am

At what age does not having a Facebook become less creepy / shady? I'm 32 and I have no desire to have a Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn. But I do kind of worry about potential negative assumptions from the lack of any social media presence.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:25 am

counterpoint:

my facebook happens to be fairly locked down, but i am searchable, so when employers find my facebook, basically all they can see is my profile picture and timeline cover photo (reproduced below)

doesn't seem to have affected my job search negatively so far

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 am

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Me too.

There was just a article/study from WSJ about employers starting to think the same thing.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:28 am

fatduck wrote:

Right, apparently you are not one that needs to hide something. So either law students are overly neurotic or maybe people have worse stuff.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:32 am

fatduck wrote:

counterpoint:

my facebook happens to be fairly locked down, but i am searchable, so when employers find my facebook, basically all they can see is my profile picture and timeline cover photo (reproduced below)

Then, clearly, the clients must approve.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:39 am

kalvano wrote:At what age does not having a Facebook become less creepy / shady? I'm 32 and I have no desire to have a Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn. But I do kind of worry about potential negative assumptions from the lack of any social media presence.

I would say no one cares, but I'll amend to - normal people don't care.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 am

Ozymandias wrote:
kalvano wrote:At what age does not having a Facebook become less creepy / shady? I'm 32 and I have no desire to have a Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn. But I do kind of worry about potential negative assumptions from the lack of any social media presence.

I would say no one cares, but I'll amend to - normal people don't care.

when you stop being a 16 year old girl

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:46 am

fatduck wrote:doesn't seem to have affected my job search negatively so far

Considering your freak resume I'm pretty sure firm recruiters would do a crabwalk if it meant you taking their offer.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Betharl wrote:I feel like a lot of people have a facebook page out of some sense of obligation

Sort of proving my point.

Return to “Legal Employment”