Facebook and fake names Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Facebook and fake names

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Everyone in my section has suddenly removed their last name on Facebook. I don't get it... can't you just put your status on private? Are people's profiles really that bad that they have to hide them? Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

Ozymandias

Bronze

Re: Facebook and fake names

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.
Law students are idiots.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Ironic use of anon.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Ironic use of anon.
:lol:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
Law students are idiots.
Pretty much.

Here's a life tip for all law students: only put things on facebook that you're fine with the whole world knowing. Don't put up pictures of yourself getting high, pouring a bottle of whisky down your throat, peeing in an alley, etc. Don't post statuses about how satisfying your last shit was, or how you love committing ethical lapses and missing deadlines. Don't join groups like "1 million strong for holocaust denial." It's a website, not a diary with a heart-shaped lock you keep under your bed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gyarados

New

Post by gyarados » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Law students are idiots.
Pretty much.

Here's a life tip for all law students: only put things on facebook that you're fine with the whole world knowing. Don't put up pictures of yourself getting high, pouring a bottle of whisky down your throat, peeing in an alley, etc. Don't post statuses about how satisfying your last shit was, or how you love committing ethical lapses and missing deadlines. Don't join groups like "1 million strong for holocaust denial." It's a website, not a diary with a heart-shaped lock you keep under your bed.
Or just learn how the privacy settings work and post whatever the hell you want.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:07 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 pm

gyarados wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Law students are idiots.
Pretty much.

Or just learn how the privacy settings work and post whatever the hell you want.
Sure. Although I'd probably still opt for the adult option, where you choose not to create a damaging online profile that you justify by only limiting it to like a thousand of your closest friends. I mean, I'm not a teenager any more, so I can survive without making asinine status updates about how hard I rage*.

*Pretty damn hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I wonder what recruiters think when they can't find you on Facebook.

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:20 pm

you can never be too careful with internet footprints - all you loser megaposters better be careful

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:23 pm

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm

slack_academic wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I wonder what recruiters think when they can't find you on Facebook.
You think this is an issue? I mean, my settings allow people to look me up, see very basic info, and see simple profile picture where I'm not visibly wasted or taking part in a criminal act. You think recruiters care about that?
I don't know. But I got a CB at a firm and I noticed someone in their office had looked at my linked-in. So they're definitely out there looking at things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:37 pm

My linked in is definitely visited a lot before screeners and callbacks. I talked about facebook at a screener last week. I think many recruiters will search, and if they can't find anything, some people may feel strange. Come on, everyone has a facebook page, what do you have to hide? I don't know if it is negative, but if you have a clean, professional profile, it's just another piece of circumstantial evidence that you are a mature, professional adult with some sense of good judgment.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:My linked in is definitely visited a lot before screeners and callbacks. I talked about facebook at a screener last week. I think many recruiters will search, and if they can't find anything, some people may feel strange. Come on, everyone has a facebook page, what do you have to hide? I don't know if it is negative, but if you have a clean, professional profile, it's just another piece of circumstantial evidence that you are a mature, professional adult with some sense of good judgment.
It's also true that a lot of people use privacy settings to make their FB unsearchable. While everyone has a FB page, is it that unusual for it not to show up in search results by perfect strangers not in the person's network? Especially law students during recruiting season? This has got to be really common.

I mean, opting out of searches is one of the basic privacy settings that's been around for a very long time.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 pm

slack_academic wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I wonder what recruiters think when they can't find you on Facebook.
You think this is an issue? I mean, my settings allow people to look me up, see very basic info, and see simple profile picture where I'm not visibly wasted or taking part in a criminal act. You think recruiters care about that?
The bolded is why I love this post.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
r6_philly wrote:My linked in is definitely visited a lot before screeners and callbacks. I talked about facebook at a screener last week. I think many recruiters will search, and if they can't find anything, some people may feel strange. Come on, everyone has a facebook page, what do you have to hide? I don't know if it is negative, but if you have a clean, professional profile, it's just another piece of circumstantial evidence that you are a mature, professional adult with some sense of good judgment.
It's also true that a lot of people use privacy settings to make their FB unsearchable. While everyone has a FB page, is it that unusual for it not to show up in search results by perfect strangers not in the person's network? Especially law students during recruiting season? This has got to be really common.

I mean, opting out of searches is one of the basic privacy settings that's been around for a very long time.
Yes, but they may ask why you want to be opted out when potential employers are potentially looking for you to check you out? Recall it's been widely reported that employers would ask people to login to their facebook during interviews -- employers must want to see what you have on your facebooks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gyarados

New

Post by gyarados » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:Yes, but they may ask why you want to be opted out when potential employers are potentially looking for you to check you out? Recall it's been widely reported that employers would ask people to login to their facebook during interviews -- employers must want to see what you have on your facebooks.
If by "widely reported" you mean "it's been in the news that unethical employers are doing this", then yes. No respectable firm would ever do something like that. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having no facebook, or completely hiding your profile.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 pm

gyarados wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Yes, but they may ask why you want to be opted out when potential employers are potentially looking for you to check you out? Recall it's been widely reported that employers would ask people to login to their facebook during interviews -- employers must want to see what you have on your facebooks.
If by "widely reported" you mean "it's been in the news that unethical employers are doing this", then yes. No respectable firm would ever do something like that. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having no facebook, or completely hiding your profile.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 pm

gyarados wrote:Or just learn how the privacy settings work and post whatever the hell you want.
Yup.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:53 pm

MrKappus wrote:
gyarados wrote:Or just learn how the privacy settings work and post whatever the hell you want.
Yup.
Of course that is true. But why would someone post whatever they hell they want? What do you get out of it? Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 pm

gyarados wrote:
Lol WTF. I read over philly's post the first time thinking he was just writing about employers checking FB pages.

Making you log-on in front of them?! Please tell me that no one here would agree to do that. Not to pull the billy-badass-on-the-internet routine, but there's a 0% chance I'd do this, even on a CB.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
best thing i've seen on tls all day

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:59 pm

flcath wrote: Lol WTF. I read over philly's post the first time thinking he was just writing about employers checking FB pages.

Making you log-on in front of them?! Please tell me that no one here would agree to do that. Not to pull the billy-badass-on-the-internet routine, but there's a 0% chance I'd do this, even on a CB.
This has not been reported at firms. But I wouldn't put it past smaller firms.
Last edited by r6_philly on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 am

r6_philly wrote:Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?
Huh?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”