Facebook and fake names

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Facebook and fake names

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Everyone in my section has suddenly removed their last name on Facebook. I don't get it... can't you just put your status on private? Are people's profiles really that bad that they have to hide them? Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

Law students are idiots.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Ironic use of anon.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Ironic use of anon.

:lol:

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

Law students are idiots.

Pretty much.

Here's a life tip for all law students: only put things on facebook that you're fine with the whole world knowing. Don't put up pictures of yourself getting high, pouring a bottle of whisky down your throat, peeing in an alley, etc. Don't post statuses about how satisfying your last shit was, or how you love committing ethical lapses and missing deadlines. Don't join groups like "1 million strong for holocaust denial." It's a website, not a diary with a heart-shaped lock you keep under your bed.

User avatar
gyarados
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:40 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby gyarados » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

Law students are idiots.

Pretty much.

Here's a life tip for all law students: only put things on facebook that you're fine with the whole world knowing. Don't put up pictures of yourself getting high, pouring a bottle of whisky down your throat, peeing in an alley, etc. Don't post statuses about how satisfying your last shit was, or how you love committing ethical lapses and missing deadlines. Don't join groups like "1 million strong for holocaust denial." It's a website, not a diary with a heart-shaped lock you keep under your bed.

Or just learn how the privacy settings work and post whatever the hell you want.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby 06102016 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:05 pm

..

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:07 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Ironic use of anon.

:lol:

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 pm

gyarados wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

Law students are idiots.

Pretty much.

Here's a life tip for all law students: only put things on facebook that you're fine with the whole world knowing. Don't put up pictures of yourself getting high, pouring a bottle of whisky down your throat, peeing in an alley, etc. Don't post statuses about how satisfying your last shit was, or how you love committing ethical lapses and missing deadlines. Don't join groups like "1 million strong for holocaust denial." It's a website, not a diary with a heart-shaped lock you keep under your bed.

Or just learn how the privacy settings work and post whatever the hell you want.

Sure. Although I'd probably still opt for the adult option, where you choose not to create a damaging online profile that you justify by only limiting it to like a thousand of your closest friends. I mean, I'm not a teenager any more, so I can survive without making asinine status updates about how hard I rage*.

*Pretty damn hard.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I wonder what recruiters think when they can't find you on Facebook.

ShitLawOrBust
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:20 pm

you can never be too careful with internet footprints - all you loser megaposters better be careful

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby 06102016 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:23 pm

..

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm

slack_academic wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I wonder what recruiters think when they can't find you on Facebook.


You think this is an issue? I mean, my settings allow people to look me up, see very basic info, and see simple profile picture where I'm not visibly wasted or taking part in a criminal act. You think recruiters care about that?

I don't know. But I got a CB at a firm and I noticed someone in their office had looked at my linked-in. So they're definitely out there looking at things.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:37 pm

My linked in is definitely visited a lot before screeners and callbacks. I talked about facebook at a screener last week. I think many recruiters will search, and if they can't find anything, some people may feel strange. Come on, everyone has a facebook page, what do you have to hide? I don't know if it is negative, but if you have a clean, professional profile, it's just another piece of circumstantial evidence that you are a mature, professional adult with some sense of good judgment.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:My linked in is definitely visited a lot before screeners and callbacks. I talked about facebook at a screener last week. I think many recruiters will search, and if they can't find anything, some people may feel strange. Come on, everyone has a facebook page, what do you have to hide? I don't know if it is negative, but if you have a clean, professional profile, it's just another piece of circumstantial evidence that you are a mature, professional adult with some sense of good judgment.


It's also true that a lot of people use privacy settings to make their FB unsearchable. While everyone has a FB page, is it that unusual for it not to show up in search results by perfect strangers not in the person's network? Especially law students during recruiting season? This has got to be really common.

I mean, opting out of searches is one of the basic privacy settings that's been around for a very long time.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 pm

slack_academic wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I wonder what recruiters think when they can't find you on Facebook.


You think this is an issue? I mean, my settings allow people to look me up, see very basic info, and see simple profile picture where I'm not visibly wasted or taking part in a criminal act. You think recruiters care about that?

The bolded is why I love this post.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
r6_philly wrote:My linked in is definitely visited a lot before screeners and callbacks. I talked about facebook at a screener last week. I think many recruiters will search, and if they can't find anything, some people may feel strange. Come on, everyone has a facebook page, what do you have to hide? I don't know if it is negative, but if you have a clean, professional profile, it's just another piece of circumstantial evidence that you are a mature, professional adult with some sense of good judgment.


It's also true that a lot of people use privacy settings to make their FB unsearchable. While everyone has a FB page, is it that unusual for it not to show up in search results by perfect strangers not in the person's network? Especially law students during recruiting season? This has got to be really common.

I mean, opting out of searches is one of the basic privacy settings that's been around for a very long time.


Yes, but they may ask why you want to be opted out when potential employers are potentially looking for you to check you out? Recall it's been widely reported that employers would ask people to login to their facebook during interviews -- employers must want to see what you have on your facebooks.

User avatar
gyarados
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:40 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby gyarados » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:Yes, but they may ask why you want to be opted out when potential employers are potentially looking for you to check you out? Recall it's been widely reported that employers would ask people to login to their facebook during interviews -- employers must want to see what you have on your facebooks.

If by "widely reported" you mean "it's been in the news that unethical employers are doing this", then yes. No respectable firm would ever do something like that. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having no facebook, or completely hiding your profile.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 pm

gyarados wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Yes, but they may ask why you want to be opted out when potential employers are potentially looking for you to check you out? Recall it's been widely reported that employers would ask people to login to their facebook during interviews -- employers must want to see what you have on your facebooks.

If by "widely reported" you mean "it's been in the news that unethical employers are doing this", then yes. No respectable firm would ever do something like that. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having no facebook, or completely hiding your profile.



r6_philly wrote:My linked in is definitely visited a lot before screeners and callbacks. I talked about facebook at a screener last week. I think many recruiters will search, and if they can't find anything, some people may feel strange. Come on, everyone has a facebook page, what do you have to hide? I don't know if it is negative, but if you have a clean, professional profile, it's just another piece of circumstantial evidence that you are a mature, professional adult with some sense of good judgment.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby MrKappus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 pm

gyarados wrote:Or just learn how the privacy settings work and post whatever the hell you want.


Yup.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:53 pm

MrKappus wrote:
gyarados wrote:Or just learn how the privacy settings work and post whatever the hell you want.


Yup.


Of course that is true. But why would someone post whatever they hell they want? What do you get out of it? Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby flcath » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 pm

gyarados wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Yes, but they may ask why you want to be opted out when potential employers are potentially looking for you to check you out? Recall it's been widely reported that employers would ask people to login to their facebook during interviews -- employers must want to see what you have on your facebooks.

If by "widely reported" you mean "it's been in the news that unethical employers are doing this", then yes. No respectable firm would ever do something like that. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having no facebook, or completely hiding your profile.

Lol WTF. I read over philly's post the first time thinking he was just writing about employers checking FB pages.

Making you log-on in front of them?! Please tell me that no one here would agree to do that. Not to pull the billy-badass-on-the-internet routine, but there's a 0% chance I'd do this, even on a CB.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Ironic use of anon.

:lol:


best thing i've seen on tls all day

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:59 pm

flcath wrote:Lol WTF. I read over philly's post the first time thinking he was just writing about employers checking FB pages.

Making you log-on in front of them?! Please tell me that no one here would agree to do that. Not to pull the billy-badass-on-the-internet routine, but there's a 0% chance I'd do this, even on a CB.


This has not been reported at firms. But I wouldn't put it past smaller firms.
Last edited by r6_philly on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Facebook and fake names

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 am

r6_philly wrote:Why is it a joy/pleasure to post stuff that you would take away your credibility or reputation as a lawyer?


Huh?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.