Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 pm

I think the firm will take a hit here $ wise, will this affect me adversely?

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby chasgoose » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Barring special events most firms have same day cancellation policies. I'd be more worried about the adverse effects of cancelling a callback

ETA: Most HOTELS have same day cancellations
Last edited by chasgoose on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think the firm will take a hit here $ wise, will this affect me adversely?


Are you still doing the CB? Are you canceling because you found another place to stay? If so, a cancelation fee might be less costly than keeping an unnecessary room.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 pm

chasgoose wrote:Barring special events most firms have same day cancellation policies. I'd be more worried about the adverse effects of cancelling a callback

I can still go to the callback, but I no longer have use for the hotel and in fact checking into to hotel would be a great hindrance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think the firm will take a hit here $ wise, will this affect me adversely?


Are you still doing the CB? Are you canceling because you found another place to stay? If so, a cancelation fee might be less costly than keeping an unnecessary room.

Yes still doing the CB, but the email specifically said cancel before X time to avoid penalty fees to the firm, and that time passed after I found out something that will make checking into the hotel the day before the CB extremely difficult.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think the firm will take a hit here $ wise, will this affect me adversely?


Are you still doing the CB? Are you canceling because you found another place to stay? If so, a cancelation fee might be less costly than keeping an unnecessary room.

Yes still doing the CB, but the email specifically said cancel before X time to avoid penalty fees to the firm, and that time passed after I found out something that will make checking into the hotel the day before the CB extremely difficult.


Penalty fees would still be lower than the cost of the room I would think, otherwise you could just not cancel and let the hotel room stay empty.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Barring special events most firms have same day cancellation policies. I'd be more worried about the adverse effects of cancelling a callback

I can still go to the callback, but I no longer have use for the hotel and in fact checking into to hotel would be a great hindrance.


I'd check in anyway. Why risk it? You don't HAVE to stay there if you don't want to. But honestly, I don't see why you couldn't. It's FREE. Schedule personal stuff for another time when a $160,000 job isn't on the line.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 pm

So don't risk it?

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So don't risk it?


Well, if it were me, I would be afraid of the firm somehow hearing about me not checking in and then wondering if I was out partying or drinking or chasing hookers all night. But, hey, if you have a bunch of other callbacks, I don't see why you have to be cautious. If you already have another offer, do what you want. The risks of this mattering are pretty low because when I scheduled my callbacks, it seemed as if the people doing the arrangements were on a different floor from the hiring committee. How much do they communicate? who knows?
Last edited by Perseus_I on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So don't risk it?


Well, if it were me, I would be afraid of the firm somehow hearing about me not checking in and then wondering if I was out partying or drinking or chasing hookers all night. But, hey, if you have a bunch of other callbacks, I don't see why you have to be cautious. If you already have another offer, do what you want. The risks of this mattering are pretty low.

I'm not talking about not checking in, I would obviously cancel the room and not just not check in.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So don't risk it?


Well, if it were me, I would be afraid of the firm somehow hearing about me not checking in and then wondering if I was out partying or drinking or chasing hookers all night. But, hey, if you have a bunch of other callbacks, I don't see why you have to be cautious. If you already have another offer, do what you want. The risks of this mattering are pretty low.

I'm not talking about not checking in, I would obviously cancel the room and not just not check in.


Well, still, you're not staying in the hotel they got for you. Would you have a reasonable, PC explanation, and would you get permission from the firm's travel people ahead of time? If so, then maybe it's ok.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So don't risk it?


Well, if it were me, I would be afraid of the firm somehow hearing about me not checking in and then wondering if I was out partying or drinking or chasing hookers all night. But, hey, if you have a bunch of other callbacks, I don't see why you have to be cautious. If you already have another offer, do what you want. The risks of this mattering are pretty low.

I'm not talking about not checking in, I would obviously cancel the room and not just not check in.


Well, still, you're not staying in the hotel they got for you. Would you have a reasonable, PC explanation, and would you get permission from the firm's travel people ahead of time? If so, then maybe it's ok.

I never asked them for travel expenses so I won't have to cancel any of that. Just the hotel.

And the explanation is pretty simple, I can drive to the CB, and I had another important meeting the day before the CB.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Oh, yours must work differently where you take the hit upfront, and then the firm reimburses you? On both of mine, they sent me to a travel agency. In that case, maybe you should find out if it costs more to cancel it. If the $$ is less, as others suggest, I don't see why it would be an issue, particularly if you have an explanation.

If you really, really want to be safe: Someone help me with this: Can you wait until after you have ascertained your offer status to send in the reimbursement forms? Maybe that's an option.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Perseus_I wrote:Oh, yours must work differently where you take the hit upfront, and then the firm reimburses you? On both of mine, they sent me to a travel agency. In that case, maybe you should find out if it costs more to cancel it. If the $$ is less, as others suggest, I don't see why it would be an issue, particularly if you have an explanation.

If you really, really want to be safe: Someone help me with this: Can you wait until after you have ascertained your offer status to send in the reimbursement forms? Maybe that's an option.

No the firm booked the hotel they paid for it, if I cancel they will see I did so, I don't get what's so difficult to ascertain here.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Oh, yours must work differently where you take the hit upfront, and then the firm reimburses you? On both of mine, they sent me to a travel agency. In that case, maybe you should find out if it costs more to cancel it. If the $$ is less, as others suggest, I don't see why it would be an issue, particularly if you have an explanation.

If you really, really want to be safe: Someone help me with this: Can you wait until after you have ascertained your offer status to send in the reimbursement forms? Maybe that's an option.

No the firm booked the hotel they paid for it, if I cancel they will see I did so, I don't get what's so difficult to ascertain here.


Fine. Ask the firm's travel people. Then you avoid the weird inferences.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Cancelling a hotel for CB day before CB

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Shit comes up during CB season. CB interviews, hotels, and flights are canceled by hundreds if not thousands of applicants every year, often with little notice.

It is not a big deal. Firms are not people, they are business entities. They're not going to de-invite you to their birthday party if your itinerary or schedule needs to change.

Holding interviews and dealing with changing schedules and cancellations is just a cost of doing business. Promptly notify the appropriate parties when you need to make changes, but just do it and don't wring your hands about it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.