Starting Screener With a Joke

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tedalbany

Re: Starting Screener With a Joke

Postby tedalbany » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:16 am

thesealocust wrote:I just spent 5 minutes trying to turn that gdane quote into an avatar but I gave up.

8/8/12 NEVER FORGET

gdane wrote:This question is not a joke.

Maybe this joke isnt a great one because it refers to my penis.

edit: never mind, got it.

Your avatar says 8/12/12

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 am

WELL AREN'T WE JUST LITTLE MS. ATTENTION TO DETAIL

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 am

thesealocust wrote:WELL AREN'T WE JUST LITTLE MS. ATTENTION TO DETAIL

:lol: :lol: your avatar

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 am

ilovesf wrote:
thesealocust wrote:WELL AREN'T WE JUST LITTLE MS. ATTENTION TO DETAIL

:lol: :lol: your avatar

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:47 am

gdane wrote:I'm considering opening up my screener interviews with an old Rodney Dangerfield joke. My idea is when (if) the interviewer asks me "how are you?" I would respond with "It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put a shirt on and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom."

Bad idea? Or would it show a lighthearted side? I could possibly get a very good laugh out of the interviewer that would put him in a good mood for the rest of the interview.

Please I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

I'd be most concerned about it falling flat because the interviewer doesn't get the reference. Who in Big Law has time to pay attention to pop culture? Before law school, most Big Law types were too busy memorizing The Aeneid in Latin. That's what they told me over at Cravath when the interviewer frowned at my interests section, which included things like swimming, biking, Chinese cuisine, and tennis.

I actually made a reference to Mad Men with an early 30's interviewer, and she had never heard of Mad Men. It was very, very appropriate in the context of a certain street. I did not get a callback.

In another screener, I said something about being at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, and the interviewer asked if I had been following the 2012 Olympics. He had not been. Surprisingly, I still got a CB.

Never overestimate the cultural awareness of big lawl people.

chup

Postby chup » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:52 am

gdane wrote:I'm considering opening up my screener interviews with an old Rodney Dangerfield joke. My idea is when (if) the interviewer asks me "how are you?" I would respond with "It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put a shirt on and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom."

Bad idea? Or would it show a lighthearted side? I could possibly get a very good laugh out of the interviewer that would put him in a good mood for the rest of the interview.

Please I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

We generously allow you to be a retard in the Lounge. Don't abuse the privilege.

Consider this a warning.

Return to “Legal Employment”