Dropping Out if No CBs/Mass Mail Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dropping Out if No CBs/Mass Mail Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Rising 2L. Around median at a T20. Since my school is not preftigious enough to do OCI screeners by lottery (a handful of my friends who go to HYSCCN actually gave me sideways, petrified glances when I explained preselects and that everyone does not automatically get a dozen screeners at pleb lawl schools). I did manage to get a handful of screeners despite my unimpressive grades (I have a fairly interesting resume, and I did a judicial internship which at least gives me a plausible reason to be into litigation). Gonna try to knock them out of the park, but the stats aren't in my favor like they are for an HLS'er with 15 screeners. So yeah. Almost 200 mass mails out, almost fruitless.

I figure, fuck it. If I get 0 CBs and no mass mail results by the first week of school, I'm dropping out. Maybe that's premature, but if I wait another semester I may never get out. But my options are twofold, as I see them. Either way I'm facing the fact of never getting BigLaw, and possibly never even getting midlaw.

1) Got an offer for a fall internship from a solo who does criminal defense work, which is interesting. If I learn nothing else, I learn the solo ropes and can go solo if I need to (yeah, I've read all the warnings about doing this, but I'd be prouder and more fulfilled being a wet boy than doc reviewer). Or, if solo practice looks like it sucks, I can drop out and it's only cost me another semester (3 total)

2) Just drop out. I really don't need a J.D. to get a dogshit job and barely scrape by; I can do that just fine with my B.A. I'd actually feel better about myself if I did odd jobs as opposed to doing traffic ticket defense. Ooh, I get to put Esquire next to my name. Wow. Still in my 20s. Not too late.

Dropping out is easier said than done, because getting a job as a recent college graduate is a bitch these days. But the legal market for law school graduates sucks just as much, if not worse. Why delay the inevitable?

Just writing this to psych myself up. If I know myself, I'll stay in school because it feels safer, even though it really isn't. A year ago I thought decent grades at a T20ish lawl school were better than just a liberal arts degree. Now, I realize that median grades at a T20 are arguably worse than just a B.A. in History.

What the hell would I do? In college I did law-related internships. It's all I have on my resume. How the hell do I get off this law school train before it goes off the cliff?

Anonymous User

Re: Dropping Out if No CBs/Mass Mail Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm right there with you. Very similar story. I'm giving myself Fall semester to decide. If there is nothing by winter break...I think dropping out may be the right course of action.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Haymarket wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=191062

OP here-thanks, I thought I had read all the dropping out threads, didn't realize there was a new one.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:01 pm

What market is your T20 in? If it is in a smaller secondary market, can't you network and get something decent? A firm or 20 or less will probably pay you more than you could make with an college degree and no work experience. And not all smaller firms are shitlaw/traffic tickets/etc.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Haymarket wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=191062

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=175022

ShitLawOrBust

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 pm

have you considered shitlaw?

target

Postby target » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I have not considered dropping out, but have started wondering what I would do next if I bombed all my screeners. I think it depends on what you want to do with your JD degree. So, if you are not big law or bust, then
ShitLawOrBust wrote:have you considered shitlaw?

Return to “Legal Employment”