Page 1 of 1

Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:09 pm
by Anonymous User
I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but would it be even worth my time to mail a firm that didn't pre-select me even though I was in their stated grade range and strong ties to the market they are in? Thanks for the advice.

Re: Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:13 pm
by sambeber
Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but would it be even worth my time to mail a firm that didn't pre-select me even though I was in their stated grade range and strong ties to the market they are in? Thanks for the advice.


Well... all you need to answer are three things if you don't already have an offer:

1. Time it takes to send an email
2. Probability of it paying off
3. Value of the payoff

Then ask yourself: is 1 < 2*3? If so, send the email. If not, then don't.

But I'd say you should -- what do you have to lose, other than 5 minutes during the summer?

Re: Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:14 pm
by Anonymous User
Haha fair point, appreicate the response.

Re: Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:09 pm
by Perseus_I
In fact, I have had great success doing this with mid-law/large firms in Texas and Louisiana. It's especially likely to pay off if 1) you got an interview with a related office and then declined it; or 2) they yield protected you, which you can tell by comparing your results vs. other, better firms. A lot of alternates, in particular, can be YP.

If they're out of your league, though, I don't see why you'd bother. Chase fish closer to your size. The last thing you need to be doing is wasting your time or theirs if you're a fringe candidate. Big firms from Baker Donelson to White & Case all pay about the same.

Re: Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:14 pm
by sambeber
Anonymous User wrote:I was in their stated grade range and strong ties to the market they are in? Thanks for the advice.


Broseus: He's gotta chase all the fish, regardless of size; the marginal cost is so close to zero that it's ridiculous. Also, does the quoted above indicate that the firm is out of his league?

OP: go for it. In the time it's taken to post twice, you'd have the email out already.

Re: Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:17 pm
by Perseus_I
sambeber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was in their stated grade range and strong ties to the market they are in? Thanks for the advice.


Broseus: He's gotta chase all the fish, regardless of size; the marginal cost is so close to zero that it's ridiculous. Also, does the quoted above indicate that the firm is out of his league?

OP: go for it. In the time it's taken to post twice, you'd have the email out already.


Marginal cost is close to 0, but there's always the question of where to direct one's time. Mail them all, I guess, if you have time.

Also, stated grade ranges don't usually have any correspondence to reality.

Re: Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:22 pm
by Anonymous User
Should you include a cover letter even if the firm didn't request one for OCI?

Re: Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 pm
by sambeber
Anonymous User wrote:Should you include a cover letter even if the firm didn't request one for OCI?


I'd say yes.