Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but would it be even worth my time to mail a firm that didn't pre-select me even though I was in their stated grade range and strong ties to the market they are in? Thanks for the advice.

sambeber

Re: Direct mailing firms that didn't pre-select you

Postby sambeber » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but would it be even worth my time to mail a firm that didn't pre-select me even though I was in their stated grade range and strong ties to the market they are in? Thanks for the advice.

Well... all you need to answer are three things if you don't already have an offer:

1. Time it takes to send an email
2. Probability of it paying off
3. Value of the payoff

Then ask yourself: is 1 < 2*3? If so, send the email. If not, then don't.

But I'd say you should -- what do you have to lose, other than 5 minutes during the summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Haha fair point, appreicate the response.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:09 pm

In fact, I have had great success doing this with mid-law/large firms in Texas and Louisiana. It's especially likely to pay off if 1) you got an interview with a related office and then declined it; or 2) they yield protected you, which you can tell by comparing your results vs. other, better firms. A lot of alternates, in particular, can be YP.

If they're out of your league, though, I don't see why you'd bother. Chase fish closer to your size. The last thing you need to be doing is wasting your time or theirs if you're a fringe candidate. Big firms from Baker Donelson to White & Case all pay about the same.
Last edited by Perseus_I on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was in their stated grade range and strong ties to the market they are in? Thanks for the advice.

Broseus: He's gotta chase all the fish, regardless of size; the marginal cost is so close to zero that it's ridiculous. Also, does the quoted above indicate that the firm is out of his league?

OP: go for it. In the time it's taken to post twice, you'd have the email out already.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:17 pm

sambeber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was in their stated grade range and strong ties to the market they are in? Thanks for the advice.

Broseus: He's gotta chase all the fish, regardless of size; the marginal cost is so close to zero that it's ridiculous. Also, does the quoted above indicate that the firm is out of his league?

OP: go for it. In the time it's taken to post twice, you'd have the email out already.

Marginal cost is close to 0, but there's always the question of where to direct one's time. Mail them all, I guess, if you have time.

Also, stated grade ranges don't usually have any correspondence to reality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:22 pm

Should you include a cover letter even if the firm didn't request one for OCI?

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should you include a cover letter even if the firm didn't request one for OCI?

I'd say yes.

Return to “Legal Employment”