acceptable screener question: how associates get work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

acceptable screener question: how associates get work?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:55 am

All firms with a Chambers & Associate profile go into whether the firm uses a freemarket system or an assignment coordinator/assigning partner. However, many firms on my interview list don't have a Chambers entry. Vault doesn't seem to mention this usually. And the firm's website never seems to mention it.

Is there any other way to discover how associates are assigned work? Is it an appropriate question to ask how it's done and then about their opinions on how it works? Pros/cons? Or is this too basic of a question?

anon168

Re: acceptable screener question: how associates get work?

Postby anon168 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All firms with a Chambers & Associate profile go into whether the firm uses a freemarket system or an assignment coordinator/assigning partner. However, many firms on my interview list don't have a Chambers entry. Vault doesn't seem to mention this usually. And the firm's website never seems to mention it.

Is there any other way to discover how associates are assigned work? Is it an appropriate question to ask how it's done and then about their opinions on how it works? Pros/cons? Or is this too basic of a question?

Totally appropriate.

ShitLawOrBust

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:03 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All firms with a Chambers & Associate profile go into whether the firm uses a freemarket system or an assignment coordinator/assigning partner. However, many firms on my interview list don't have a Chambers entry. Vault doesn't seem to mention this usually. And the firm's website never seems to mention it.

Totally appropriate.

yea just make sure it isn't already on their website or some other easily accessible place.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Great question, especially for those times when you need a question to avoid an awkward silence. Even if the website describes the system, you can always say 'the website says blah blah blah, can you tell me how that works in practice'

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I think it's always good to talk about this. I think the assigning system is one of the biggest influences on your quality of life as a junior associate.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Loose Seal wrote:I think it's always good to talk about this. I think the assigning system is one of the biggest influences on your quality of life as a junior associate.

This.

Return to “Legal Employment”