Philly OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philly OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread, if only for the sake of posterity.

Philly-area T2, top 5%, LR. Not the previous poster with similar stats.

Screeners:

(Philly)
BlankRome
Cozen
Dechert
Drinker
Duane
Fox
Morgan
Pepper
ReedSmith
Saul
Schnader
Stradley

(Wilmington)
Ashby
Morris
Potter
Richards
Skadden
Young

CBs thus far:

Saul
Duane
Ballard
BlankRome

Dings thus far:

Cozen

CB invitations from Schnader, Pepper, and Skadden Wilmington yesterday. Ding from Drinker.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Screeners:

(Philly)
BlankRome
Cozen
Dechert
Drinker
Duane
Fox
Morgan
Pepper
ReedSmith
Saul
Schnader
Stradley

(Wilmington)
Ashby
Morris
Potter
Richards
Skadden
Young

CBs thus far:

Saul
Duane
Ballard
BlankRome

Dings thus far:

Cozen

CB invitations from Schnader, Pepper, and Skadden Wilmington yesterday. Ding from Drinker.

Thanks for keeping this going. Your Temple comrade here. Looks like we are the only two active posters. Congrats on your CBs. Still haven't heard from the other Wilmington firms I'm assuming? Radio silence on my end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm still here! Nothing else to report though. Gotta say, the sheer size of the Philly market makes it 131412 times more terrifying than what my peers seem to be encountering in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Above median Penn student here with LR and ties to Philly. Getting absolutely slaughtered in the Philly market right now, doing well in NYC though (thankfully). I think the Philly market is really tough to crack this year...wondering if firms either overhired last year or if the work just isn't there to justify hiring at the same level.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Above median Penn student here with LR and ties to Philly. Getting absolutely slaughtered in the Philly market right now, doing well in NYC though (thankfully). I think the Philly market is really tough to crack this year...wondering if firms either overhired last year or if the work just isn't there to justify hiring at the same level.

Maybe Philly firms got burned by Penn people last year who choose NY in the end? No idea. Even with your ties...I'm originally out of state and go to a philly tier 2 and I kept being asked by Philly interviewers whether or not I was sure I wouldn't just go back to my hometown (a large legal market btw)....the funny thing is I wanted to ask them if they really thought I'd have a chance...I'm at a philly tier 2!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Above median Penn student here with LR and ties to Philly. Getting absolutely slaughtered in the Philly market right now, doing well in NYC though (thankfully). I think the Philly market is really tough to crack this year...wondering if firms either overhired last year or if the work just isn't there to justify hiring at the same level.

When you say "slaughtered" do you mean no cb's or no offers AFTER the cb interviews?
T14 (not Penn) from the Philly metro area. Did not request many philly screeners, but so far one ding and one cb from philly firms. Got dinged pretty badly in nyc. So not sure if NYC people are doing better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe Philly firms got burned by Penn people last year who choose NY in the end? No idea. Even with your ties...I'm originally out of state and go to a philly tier 2 and I kept being asked by Philly interviewers whether or not I was sure I wouldn't just go back to my hometown (a large legal market btw)....the funny thing is I wanted to ask them if they really thought I'd have a chance...I'm at a philly tier 2!

Firms definitely over-hired last year, but FWIW I'm a below-median Penn student with ties to Philly and I have a few CBs from Philly firms so far. Maybe they see you as a flight risk since your grades are better?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Firms definitely over-hired last year, but FWIW I'm a below-median Penn student with ties to Philly and I have a few CBs from Philly firms so far. Maybe they see you as a flight risk since your grades are better?

What does it mean to be a flight risk? I've heard this before but don't know- does that mean they don't think you'll take their offer, or that you'll do your summer there but job hunt again as a 3L (which I understand is hard to do)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firms definitely over-hired last year, but FWIW I'm a below-median Penn student with ties to Philly and I have a few CBs from Philly firms so far. Maybe they see you as a flight risk since your grades are better?

What does it mean to be a flight risk? I've heard this before but don't know- does that mean they don't think you'll take their offer, or that you'll do your summer there but job hunt again as a 3L (which I understand is hard to do)?

Not so much that as being prone to lateral out of the market fast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Anything new to report? Haven't heard anything today...temples OCI was last Monday through Thursday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Pepper ding and Morgan ding both post screener philly tier 2

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Screeners:

(Philly)
BlankRome
Cozen
Dechert
Drinker
Duane
Fox
Morgan
Pepper
ReedSmith
Saul
Schnader
Stradley

(Wilmington)
Ashby
Morris
Potter
Richards
Skadden
Young

CBs thus far:

Saul
Duane
Ballard
BlankRome

Dings thus far:

Cozen

Thanks for keeping this going. Your Temple comrade here. Looks like we are the only two active posters. Congrats on your CBs. Still haven't heard from the other Wilmington firms I'm assuming? Radio silence on my end.

Heard of a young conaway callback at temple so to the Delaware enthusiast you were probably dinged....sorry pal FYI not the previous top 5% lr poster

stressed2010

Postby stressed2010 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Screeners:

(Philly)
BlankRome
Cozen
Dechert
Drinker
Duane
Fox
Morgan
Pepper
ReedSmith
Saul
Schnader
Stradley

(Wilmington)
Ashby
Morris
Potter
Richards
Skadden
Young

CBs thus far:

Saul
Duane
Ballard
BlankRome

Dings thus far:

Cozen

Heard of a young conaway callback at temple so to the Delaware enthusiast you were probably dinged....sorry pal FYI not the previous top 5% lr poster

What did you expect though....top 20% at a tier 2.. clearly had a slim chance...surprised you even had a screener....loser

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:24 pm

Morris Nichols rejection via snail mail today Philly tier 2

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Ballard snail mail ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Screeners:

(Philly)
BlankRome
Cozen
Dechert
Drinker
Duane
Fox
Morgan
Pepper
ReedSmith
Saul
Schnader
Stradley

(Wilmington)
Ashby
Morris
Potter
Richards
Skadden
Young

CBs thus far:

Saul
Duane
Ballard
BlankRome

Dings thus far:

Cozen

Any word from Potter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Has anyone had a Reed Smith callback? If so, how many days after the OCI? Also, has anyone heard of Reed rejections post OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Friend has a reed smith callback...screener to cb was a few days...I'm at temple btw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Friend has a reed smith callback...screener to cb was a few days...I'm at temple btw

Thanks for the info. I feel a little better knowing that because I'm not at Temple so Reed might be on slightly different schedules with different schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Sure no problem. I feel your pain. Have heard from only one of my screeners so far and it was a rejection...don't have too much hope at this point.. guess ill have to study up on student loan bankruptcy...oh wait that's essentially impossible...guess I'm screwed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Above median at Penn, relevant work experience in Philadelphia, and went to an UG in the city so my Philly ties are solid and I am getting SHUT THE F%$# OUT in Philly. Screened with every Philly firm save Morgan and Schnader (even the Mankos and Conrad O'Briens of the world) and not a SINGLE callback. I'd say that maybe my interview skills are weak except that my success rate in NYC for getting callbacks from screeners is 70%, and I managed to nab two callbacks in picky markets that I have zero ties to. I've already been outright dinged by several Philly firms; even S&C NYC hasn't gotten around to officially burying me yet. However, I know of people with worse grades than me and zero ties to Philly that are getting callbacks. I am pissed at this point, honestly. What gives, Philly? I want to and am willing to stay and yet you aren't even giving me the chance. I wouldn't have wasted my bids on Philly if I knew I was gonna be treated like this. Just thinking about how many more CBs and all the other firms I could have had in NYC (and elsewhere) with those Philly bids makes my head hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Significantly above median (3.6+) and LR at Penn, 3 CBs (including Dechert), 1 ding in Philly. No ties other than going to Penn and telling screening interviewers that I like the city (which I do!).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00 pm

You might still have a shot with manko and conrad.. they're very slow...I screened with both at temple and no one I've spoken to has heard from them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You might still have a shot with manko and conrad.. they're very slow...I screened with both at temple and no one I've spoken to has heard from them

Conrad and Manko are still screening - both are at Nova today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm

How is OCI at nova this year? It's been not so great at temple...predictably callbacks went to LR and top 5%...most others have been shutout

Return to “Legal Employment”