Indicating that you never expected offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Indicating that you never expected offer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 am

Hi everyone,

Need advice from former or current 3Ls who summered at a smaller firm where offers are typically not extended to interns/SAs. Eg, you never expected an offer because they don't hire entry-level associates; it was a finite internship. Is there a way to indicate this on a resume? Cover letter? I'm 3L mass mailing and don't want people unfamiliar with the firm I'm at to assume that I am no-offered, but also can't put "Offer pending." Thoughts?

Thanks.

Dr. Review

Re: Indicating that you never expected offer

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:36 am

Doesn't a job title of "intern" or "clerk" usually indicate that it is not the type of job that leads to full time employment?

a11 1n

Postby a11 1n » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:56 am

I think just putting law clerk down is sufficient. It seems to me that a 2L biglawl SA is the only summer employment that is expected to lead to full-time employment. There is no real way to put it on the resume but if your hung up on it, you can work a sentence into your cover letter. Just mention that you agreed to a summer position, even though it offered no long-term prospects, because xxx firm allowed you to hone your skills in x, y and/or z, which you expect to pay dividends down the road.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

Need advice from former or current 3Ls who summered at a smaller firm where offers are typically not extended to interns/SAs. Eg, you never expected an offer because they don't hire entry-level associates; it was a finite internship. Is there a way to indicate this on a resume? Cover letter? I'm 3L mass mailing and don't want people unfamiliar with the firm I'm at to assume that I am no-offered, but also can't put "Offer pending." Thoughts?

Thanks.

I worked at a small litigation boutique in my 1L summer under a similar arrangement. I listed my title as "law clerk" on my resume. I can't recall if anybody asked me whether I got an offer, but I'm sure I would have said that they do not give law clerks offers. It didn't hurt me AFAIK.

Return to “Legal Employment”